Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Misanthropy

Re: Misanthropy
November 10, 2013, 02:51:13 AM
I've been noticing a lot of misanthropy around here. The other Hessians like to note that cats never cleared a forest or created a nuclear bomb, but I would like to note that cats also never composed a beautiful symphony or fell in love.

I ain't knocking on cats, they have their place but so does humanity. If it weren't for humans the universe couldn't observe itself.

And humans are intelligent, in many ways liberalism is a disease that only appears in civilizations too smart for their own good. Of course you take intelligence a step higher then you can realize the folly in liberalism.

Cats might not clear forests but certain forms of bush evolved a susceptibility to brush fire . the species does well for itself after the flames. Life modifying the environment is as common as aids in the castro.

November 10, 2013, 03:22:38 AM
1) Neurosis is a potential.

A potential behavior?

2) Any claims made in respects to the behavior of cats has to accept the human influence.

I assume you mean to their breeding/genetic changes caused by humans. That's true, however some [few] cats do exist in environments in which human contact would be exceedingly rare.

I expect neurosis is far less common among wild cats than domesticated ones. Though there's no acceptable way to investigate that, as investigation would induce human contact...

Anecdotally, I have experienced neurotic behavior in cats that were not the product of abuse. This statement does not disqualify abuse as a cause, and it was not my intention to communicate otherwise.

I have no problem acknowledging that dysfunctional members of all species exist. What my point is, and why I prefer furry critters to humans, is that dysfunction is not the norm among them, as it is with humans.

Cats don't have to think about how to be a cat, they just do it.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 10, 2013, 03:37:54 AM
Condition was a better term (swimming in seven seas of Chianti).

We are basically on the same page now so ill touch on the last few points from my perspective.

I have a hard time preffering one lifeform to the next. Predator populations often need to be culled by humans due to their lack of regard for equilibrium(not unlike us). Hell, walnuts poison the soil. If I have a single charge against humanity it is thus: I expect better from my own. I do find it challenging to take that very far because.....

Like cats, humans are what they are, even in their worst moments. Even existential crises are part and parcel of the human experiece. If there are lines, i honestly do not see them.

November 10, 2013, 07:56:01 AM
Dysfunction is the norm among humans? That is a bizarre claim, even if I agree with you. To insist that humans have some function and are expected to perform that function, like a tool, or a soldier, or an actor, or an artist... but, expected to perform, by who? Ourselves? Masters of our own destiny? That is a bizarre claim, don't you think?

November 10, 2013, 04:38:55 PM
Not bizarre at all. There are better ways than others for living well.

Some people may not prefer it or expect it at all, but it doesn't make judgment a vacuum.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 10, 2013, 06:59:12 PM
I see. It was bizarre in my mind because I thought of "the norm" to mean "the way things usually have been and the way we can expect them to continue being". But you're talking the current norm in industrialized egalitarian society, right? In that case, no, it is not a bizarre claim.

November 11, 2013, 03:58:32 PM
Predator populations often need to be culled by humans due to their lack of regard for equilibrium(not unlike us).

This is due to the radical changes induced by humans to natural order.

Animals existed just fine before we started changing things.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 06:36:12 PM
Modifying one's environment is part and parcel of the natural order, even if doing so is destructive.  I see no foul play here. Differences in scale are not differences in kind.

November 11, 2013, 06:40:46 PM
Differences in scale are not differences in kind.

Didn't claim it was...

What I did claim is: humans are committing ecocide that will/has shattered existing food chains worldwide.

Do you disagree with that?

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 06:49:51 PM
No I don't disagree, it would be hard to considering climate change typically collapses civilizations that modify their environment too heavily. Life goes on however.

November 11, 2013, 09:06:48 PM
I believe that if humanity's technology is left unchecked, they will destroy the planet. As in, literally. Shot to pieces.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 09:10:13 PM
That's OK. Planets tend to operate in long time-spans.
There's nothing a virus can do to it that it can't bounce back from.
Things don't look good though, in the long term, for the virus.
Squawk!

November 11, 2013, 09:21:29 PM
I just hope one of those superflus the Chinese are working on escapes in time.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 09:32:41 PM
I was referring to humans, by the metaphorical term 'virus'.
But really, there isn't much difference between the two.
Squawk!

November 11, 2013, 09:42:28 PM
I believe that if humanity's technology is left unchecked, they will destroy the planet. As in, literally. Shot to pieces.

Nothings impossible. Though, between us girls, I'm not too worried. It's checked by a dwindling resource base.