Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Swedish Cinemas introduce movie SEXISM ratings

Swedish Cinemas introduce movie SEXISM ratings
November 10, 2013, 12:23:04 AM
Beliefs about women's roles in society are influenced by the fact that movie watchers rarely see ‘a female superhero or a female professor or person who makes it through exciting challenges and masters them,’ Tejle said, noting that the rating doesn't say anything about the quality of the film. ‘The goal is to see more female stories and perspectives on cinema screens.’

‘If they want different kind of movies they should produce some themselves and not just point fingers at other people,’ said Tanja Bergkvist, a physicist who writes a blog about Sweden's ‘gender madness.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2488404/Swedish-Cinemas-introduce-movie-SEXISM-ratings.html

I'm all for positive female role-models (why the FUCK is a princess considered a female ideal, rather than something won through merit?), but the "male gaze" shit seems like a taught pathology/neurosis. Sure - sometimes I wish I could legitimize, institutionally, my bouts of unrepentant misanthropy and societal hatred, but it would be (and I suspect, for certain realms of gender studies, is) a tremendously unproductive use of energy.

I wonder what else Sweden has in store, or how long it will be before they totally implode.

Nerd rage sequence initiating in three, two, one...

The Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was obviously "upgraded" from the book in minor ways but it still had some very badass female characters who do nothing to reinforce negative stereotypes; just the opposite. Arwen was Strider's romantic interest but I don't even remember a kiss between them. The most sexist thing was casting that shit actor Tyler in her role, obviously a choice to pander rather than maintain quality.

Galadriel was the RULER of the entire Elven race, and almost singlehandedly maintained her race"s presence in Middle Earth with her magical strength (which possibly even surpasses that of even Gandalf, who was probably the most powerful magician in the story besides Bombadil but he was neither Elf nor Man). She also supplied the Company with tools and items that she knew, with her magical foresight, would aid them on their qiest (though she might not have known how critically important the Light and concealing cloaks would be, but I bet she did). So she did rule alongside her husband but we all know who really wore the proverbial pants.

Eowyn had a typical girlish crish on Strider but both characters respected eachother in the most mature way. Furthermore she personified the stereotype-destroying rebel by forgoing her princess-ly duties to fight and kill enemies - not for the approval of Strider or another man, but because she wanted to kick some ass. (This is not so apparent in the movie; so what do you know, fantasy fiction in the 1950s was less sexist than modern day cinema!)

Now if the movie had Galadriel and Arwen talking about how cute eachothers' circlets or gowns were, it would be A-OK by feminist standards and would support the movement toward equality for the sexes.

Star Wars? Yes, Leia is captured (during a mission way more daring than any other man was willing to take at the time) and requires rescuing. Obviously sexist. Then she grabs a gun and starts killing people. She falls for the bad boy but is able to "tame" him despite her aloofness and apparent romantic autonomy, which reflects real-life tendencies pretty well. Of course she shows up in a bikini later which again is obviously sexist, but she was captured while trying to rescue her dumbass boyfriend; a little subversion of typical roles, but nicely ironed smooth by the subsequent bikini scene (during which she brutally murders an infamous crime boss). So if you think there is not plenty of feminism sprinkled in with the pandering, you need to watch again. Also; before the final attack on the second Death Star, Mon Motha ( a femal admiral) is addressing her crew (including women) and doesn't mention anything about men (except what their roles will be in the upcoming attack). So BAM, suck that.

As a swede I've come to hate my own country and country men. The insanity never stops. I don't know if I should try to go against the grain and find like minded people, organize and rebuild the swedish society or if I should use my gardeningeneering degree, move to the countryside, collect guns and watch the whole thing burn to the ground with mass imigration and feminism while screaming THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED, REJOICE . As a white male at 24 years old, I feel like I am unwanted and looked down upon. I am considered the root of all evil. Sometimes I actually cry a little. Some friends understand my point of view, but they don't seem to grasp the consequences that surely will follow. My divorced parents, allthough intelectualls, doesen't get it either. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN SO FUCKING EASY FOR THEM. They, along with the rest of the 40-50's born generations are the ones who created this fucking mess and they will stack the money, retire and die without EVER suffering the consequences. The people that was born in the 80's, 90's and 00's are all hyped up on technology, facebook and their own personal drama to pay any attention to the demise of the western civilization. The mass imigration will be the end of my countrymen and culture. Feminism and the sexual revolution will be the end of the nuclear family and that will be the nail in the coffin for this once upon a time great and free country. I just don't know what to do. Part of me want's the people to get what they deserve, the other part of me wants to try and fix society so that future generations don't have to go through the same shit. I know that there is beauty out there. But sometimes I don't know if It's worth it. I am sorry for this rambling text, you cant delete it if you want to since it doesen't contribute anthing to the topic. I just needed to vent some frustration on the internet since I cant do it IRL because I will get socialy excluded. My english is shitty so don't bother poiting that out.

Don't sweat it brother, I'm a native english speaker and I have as many spelling errors in a given post as anyone who speaks english secondarily. (I blame the tiny keyboard and screen on my phone which I use for internet.)

Also, I hear you, I am in something of a similar personal situation and your words reflect my thoughts to a T. Let's just remember not to get caught up ourselves in the same things we hate to see in other people; namely being absorbed in personal drama. Suffer and struggle; that will make you into the person you should be. Rejoice in solitude. You are stronger than anyone thinks; even yourself.

As a swede I've come to hate my own country and country men. The insanity never stops. I don't know if I should try to go against the grain and find like minded people, organize and rebuild the swedish society or if I should use my gardeningeneering degree, move to the countryside, collect guns and watch the whole thing burn to the ground with mass imigration and feminism while screaming THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED, REJOICE . As a white male at 24 years old, I feel like I am unwanted and looked down upon. I am considered the root of all evil. Sometimes I actually cry a little. Some friends understand my point of view, but they don't seem to grasp the consequences that surely will follow. My divorced parents, allthough intelectualls, doesen't get it either. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN SO FUCKING EASY FOR THEM. They, along with the rest of the 40-50's born generations are the ones who created this fucking mess and they will stack the money, retire and die without EVER suffering the consequences. The people that was born in the 80's, 90's and 00's are all hyped up on technology, facebook and their own personal drama to pay any attention to the demise of the western civilization. The mass imigration will be the end of my countrymen and culture. Feminism and the sexual revolution will be the end of the nuclear family and that will be the nail in the coffin for this once upon a time great and free country. I just don't know what to do. Part of me want's the people to get what they deserve, the other part of me wants to try and fix society so that future generations don't have to go through the same shit. I know that there is beauty out there. But sometimes I don't know if It's worth it. I am sorry for this rambling text, you cant delete it if you want to since it doesen't contribute anthing to the topic. I just needed to vent some frustration on the internet since I cant do it IRL because I will get socialy excluded. My english is shitty so don't bother poiting that out.

You need to work on your paragraphing and intertextualizing techniques dude, I am Swedish too and I know that no matter how bad your English grammar is it should not be an obstacle for cohesive English text composition.

You should introduce a sub-topic, funnel it down from the most general to the most specific, and cut to another section for your next sub-topic. If possible you should also do this internally from one paragraph to the next to make your macro text as smooth to read as possible, flowing from top to bottom like a waterfall.

That was really off-topic but I just like to give constructive criticism when I can. :)