Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Audio turns to visual in the mind

Audio turns to visual in the mind
November 10, 2013, 01:11:18 AM
Do you guys ever get immersed so much in playing music or listening to it, that you start to envision some sort of scenery?

A common reoccurring theme for me while playing is that I imagine pillars rising from water with each new passage.
Meh

Re: Audio turns to visual in the mind
November 10, 2013, 01:29:49 AM
Definitely there is the potential for overlap and crossover in sensory perception. I often perceived sounds to have a certain texture; smooth or abrasive, dense, airy or feathery. Some sounds even appear dark or light (or contain colour ?). What about motion? velocity? weight? pressure building? head or fingertips about to explode? etc

November 10, 2013, 08:03:44 AM
Musical sounds are shapes for me. Spiky, symmetrical, fluid, sharp, branched, or any number of configurations.

Someone decided it was a good idea to wire a ferret's audio sensors to its visual receptors. Of course this is all good fun but they had to ruin it with a scientific run-down of whats and whys. I can't explain the whys but what they found out is this: Mammals with brains (probably like most humans, then) perceive notes and tones in a spatial sense, just like visual data. A change in tone (movement from one note to another) is perceived similarly to distance between objects (as if the notes were objects). So, two notes that are "far apart" are exactly that. Tempo relates to speed of movement; fast tempo is compared to rapid movement of an object.

Music with a fast tempo and many changes up and down a scale is therefore more chaotic because it seems to us like objects rapidly moving between large distances. I bet death metal was a trip for that poor (or lucky) ferret.

Interesting stuff; not too important though. Enjoy your imagination.

November 10, 2013, 08:47:54 PM
There is the imagination of scenes that you mentioned, but there is also a more primal level.

If you accept the notion of the Unconscious, then it is obvious all sound has its visual counterpart. Not only vision, but much more, more intense than visual, but visual included. All music has its visual, pictorial counterpart, of course. It's part of the music and sound sequence itself. When you think you are only hearing the music, this is an illusion. Of course, you're hearing it, but once you do, you are also receiving a lot of other more sensorial-sixth sense type stuff. Just contemplate the music for some time and that will become obvious.
You're quite hostile.

I got a right to be hostile, man, my people been persecuted!

November 10, 2013, 09:14:24 PM
You are quite right. Maybe my last post was unclear but the study with the ferret supports exactly what you are saying. Deeper than the unconscious, we relate visuals to music on a physiological level.

I like how tremolo picking a guitar is describes as "fluttering". I usually get an image of bat wings, with their distinct shape and noise and rapidity, when I hear that sort of guitar technique in good metal. Probably has a lot to do with my associations with bats and the sinister, the dark, the unknown and dangerous (which is not an especially conscious association because I'm very fond of bats personally). It mostly has to do with the places you find bats, I suppose; abandoned (dead) structures, black woods, caves, etc, all have a sort of sinister, mysterious (if not outright menacing) atmosphere. Which, in good metal, should always be foremost.

November 11, 2013, 11:53:41 AM
experiences or hallucinations?

01 - When I went to concerts, not at all, I think I sense the feeling that I bristle hairs of the arms.

02 - When I'm at home listening to any album, sickly, particularly dense and intense, see pictures, or     scenarios, static, and this leads me to draw those images.

03 - And finally, an evening get drunk to my house, I put the first album necros christos and pull me on the  bed, with the curtains closed, after a moment, I saw a dog on my legs, above the bed, like jackals that appeared in the movie omen, then without any kind of feeling came back to close my eyes and went to sleep ...

- Usually experience one and two I happen continuously....

November 12, 2013, 02:28:49 AM
Metal with very descriptive lyrics (like say, Sacramentum on FaftS) paints the imagery in my mind with the music. I envision it like film, with cuts etc. appropriate to the music. This despite not liking film much at all.

Other times I envision it as streams, with different instruments each occupying one tributary. I suppose this is different from actually seeing notes etc. or percieving them spatially.

November 12, 2013, 02:35:02 AM
Does an appreciation for metal follow as a direct consequence of drug usage?
Do all, or most, metal aficionados use drugs?
Squawk!

November 12, 2013, 02:43:12 AM

No, some of the best black metal musicians refused drugs.

Probably. I never have though.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 12, 2013, 02:48:53 AM
Come now: you can tell me, I am your doctor :)
Squawk!

November 12, 2013, 02:52:08 AM
Hardest drug Ive taken is ibuprofen.  :P

- Jonathan Bowden

November 12, 2013, 02:57:06 AM
Good stuff, that. I swear by it.
My woods are currently full of magic mushrooms, and I haven't eaten a single one.
I fear there is something terribly wrong with me.
Squawk!

November 12, 2013, 03:04:38 AM
Don't say that, all the hippies will invade.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 12, 2013, 03:25:18 AM

No, not at all I would imagine, though drug use isnt exactly frowned upon and marijuana keeps popping up where metalheads are. It isnt say, a part of the culture like it may be in reggae etc.

November 12, 2013, 03:37:28 PM
Reading Spinoza Ray Prozak, specifically The Undiscovered Country Ezine and Prozakhistan factored heavily (exclusively is probably a better descriptor) in my deciding to experiment with cannnabis as a teenager. Reading the DLA and this forum switched me on to proper metal and away from the tripe so I guess in a roundabout way strike one affirmative response to your question, Crow.

I can see why drugs were bought up in the context of this thread, cannabis used to give me very intense closed eye visuals. Burzuming out ones innate Trve Kvltness after five bongs was a pleasant experience for the head movies and enhanced aural appreciation that the normals just couldn't get, mannn.

I find actively pursuing visual correspondence detracts from appreciating the music. It's all well and good if one is shape mapping the sounds but too often it's a forced interpretation and turns into ego masturbation- but that's just my experience. There was a thread on this a while ago, listening methods I think was in the title yes, there were some good posts in thatun.
Rise Arjuna