Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Audio turns to visual in the mind

Re: Audio turns to visual in the mind
November 12, 2013, 03:51:50 PM
I would lie if I said that cannabis didn't give me a gentle hint on how to appreciate Suffocation, Incantation and Beherit.

Demilich on magic mushrooms was very interesting.

I've listened to- and appreciated Burzum, Darkthrone, Mayhem and, well, most of the Norwegians since way before I even got drunk the first time though. They've always spoken to me on a very direct, intuitive level.

These days, I prefer sobriety when listening to music. Being intoxicated is too distracting.

November 12, 2013, 04:28:50 PM
Smoking weed and listening to death metal almost always surprises me and leaves me with a whole new sense of dynamics in a given song, but I was one of those guys who smoked too often, to th point where listening to metal stoned was a given and I had to drop way back on my usage. Though, now I have a deeper appreciation for what is being played, since being high helped me to hear-separately each instrument track in the music, which is something I have to focus on with some effort while "sober", and trying to hone my ears to the sound of one guitar or ride cymbal detracts from the rest of the sounds.

Last winter a friend of mine and I decided to drop acid and go to a park, so on the way there he asked if I had anything intense to listen to like death or black metal. The poor guy doesn't listen to anything heavier than Dream Theater and Porcupine Tree, so I put in Gorguts' Obscura. That was a good choice; I felt like different parts of my body were being rapidly transmitted into, through, and out of different spatial and temporal continuums. I had liked that album a lot before then but had never really "paid attention" like I am forced to after having taken acid. No visuals but the physical structure of the air molecules in my car seemed overwhelmingly apparent, and the fact that this noise so alien and discomforting had come from a human mind really gripped me. That was one instance in which drugs changed my perception of music permanently.

For people who complain that death metal is "too noisy", I would recommend trying weed as a utility for understanding what the musicians are doing at any given time. The downside is, I lose track of what happened a few passages ago, so the structure of the overall song is lost on me sometimes. Of course this happens when I'm "sober" sometimes but not as often.

Drunk listening has never been that fun for me. I rarely drink and it is most always in a social environment with people who do not like death metal but I will put on some Judas Priest or Mercyful Fate. It still doesn't help me understand anything more about the music though.

November 12, 2013, 05:40:27 PM
Sex Drink(drug) and Metal!! Wow
here in my country much musicians use marijuana (most of those who believed), and other tons angel dust (the fine words), but also I have heard metal with my girlsfriends in sex, how a day i listeng Danzig Danzig with my girl (she ride), was an ejaculation audial!!! nice sensation, much imagination.

in the introduction of this demo, says something about the music ... anyone know?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Necrolatry/Dead_and_Buried/78948

November 12, 2013, 05:50:17 PM
Though I dont exactly condone it, dead last is right about weed and metal. Need to be careful there though because you dont want mediocre shit to sound great too. Maybe someday someone will write an article in a hipster drugz blog about it.