Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

If it really is me.

If it really is me.
November 10, 2013, 02:03:58 AM
Is my body like a shelter I am staying in? or a vehicle I am travelling in?

If my thoughts are composed of a lifeís worth of information Iíve been exposed to am I not then part of everyone else that shares or has come into contact with that same information.

Am I my even thoughts? Are my thoughts even me?

Re: If it really is me.
November 10, 2013, 03:01:38 AM
One thing of which you can be certain:
You are not what you think.
Squawk!

November 10, 2013, 03:03:32 AM
5 Khandas, these are not my soul.

November 10, 2013, 03:16:29 AM
Considering all the things I might be, I find I am none of them.
Considering all those things I am not, I could be forgiven for considering myself to be nothing.

Squawk!

November 10, 2013, 08:12:02 AM
You can make your self as confusing as you want to be, man. It is such a weird way to use up your time, though.

One way to find out who you are, is to give up trying. Don't analyze, don't compare, don't guess, try not to even observe yourself. When you're not thinking, only acting, you become what you really are. It's hard to know it, though, because as soon as you wonder about it, you stop just acting, and you start thinking again. You're a gear, full of gears, grinding against yourself, grinding against other selves, grinding against all other selves, and those selves grind against an entire planet, that grinds against the gravitational might of other gods of outer space, and we just whirl and grind against the whole continuum of time and possibility, and only have a bad time if we wonder about ways to stop the grind.

November 11, 2013, 07:05:33 PM
Your body is part of your mind. Your brain doesn't stop at your neck, but goes down your spinal chord and shoots to your extremities via the central nervous system and sympathetic nervous systems.

This is a major reason why no man has a right to be an amateur in regards to physical training, to paraphrase Socrates. An unhealthy body will lead to an unhealthy mind and vice-versa.

November 11, 2013, 09:29:12 PM
Is my body like a shelter I am staying in? or a vehicle I am travelling in?

Nobody addressed this question :)

I've often considered my physical body to be as you describe. A place for me to be, a way to get around. A means of getting physical things done, in a physical environment. While being - like a vehicle - not 'me'.
People often identify with what they own, and especially with their cars. It's hardly surprising, then, for people to mistake their life-support/transportation system for who they are.

In the incredible way of the young, years ago, I finally left my '66 Rambler American for dead, and bought a new AMC Eagle. I imagined, naively, that everyone would be really impressed with my new car, only to find that nobody gave a toss, if they even noticed it, at all. Probably, for most, this is the reaction people have to other peoples' bodies. Much to the dismay of anyone who imagines their body to be beautiful.

It's all very mysterious. And that - at this point - suits me fine.

Squawk!

November 11, 2013, 09:33:49 PM
If your body isn't you, what are you?
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 09:42:38 PM
That, I am sure, is up to you to discover.
May your journey be a fruitful one.
Squawk!

November 11, 2013, 09:46:21 PM
I think my body is me, and "I" exist as the interaction between various impulses in my brain.

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 09:58:20 PM
I've heard it said that you are what you think you are.
So perhaps you are, indeed, what you think.
But I don't see it like that.
Squawk!

November 11, 2013, 10:05:30 PM
I've heard it said that you are what you think you are.

If you don't think, does that mean you are what you are?

- Jonathan Bowden

November 11, 2013, 10:21:10 PM
If you don't think it means you are uncaring, since only uncaring individuals are unkind and not very thoughtful.

November 11, 2013, 10:34:25 PM
None of this is very helpful, since unless you are able to not-think, the whole idea of not-thinking is unknowable.
Put as simply as possible: not-thinking enables one to respond seamlessly to whatever arrives, without the disaster-prone interpretation that the mind forces.
You can never really know yourself by thinking about it. If you think about it, you will interpret your own thoughts, and whatever you are will remain invisible to you.
Being, is knowing. Thinking, is not. Knowing, in this context, is something that does not result from thinking.
Squawk!