Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

If it really is me.

Re: If it really is me.
November 13, 2013, 05:31:41 AM
I'd venture to say there are several things you've never seen.

November 13, 2013, 05:33:31 AM
I'll agree to that.

November 13, 2013, 05:44:48 AM
The thought has occurred to me, does often, in fact. I'm "only" in my mid-twenties and am not sure I will live much longer. I have developed cancerous nodes in my throat and as far as doctors and I know, I'll be dead in a year. They grow every year, but I didn't want surgery so I'm just playing by ear. So much for a super body. From what I understand, I probably don't have time to get old and so won't plan my life around the possibility. If I make it there, cool, we'll see how things go. I'm not crossing my fingers though. (I still stopped smoking, which is proof that I'm not a total fatalist.)

Maybe if someone convinced me I had a soul, I would change the way I did things. There would be something to look forward to, in a different way, but for now I prefer to have life by the throat. That's where the bastard got me.

November 13, 2013, 05:53:03 AM
Has having a date approximated to you changed how you approach life?

November 13, 2013, 06:01:10 AM
Certainly it has, but not at a conscious level, that could be explained to someone. I don't even know myself. I was told that I might have incurable cancer when I was 19 years old. That was 7 years back and I'm still alright as far as I can tell but I haven't been back to a hospital to get it checked out recently. Sometimes the nodes lodge in my throat when I turn my head at a certain angle, and I have to cough and fidget with them before the mess slides back out of the way of my windpipe. That's been happening for years, constantly reminding me of what is going to happen (or not).

Probably the way I've changed most is that I won't work toward anything for the long-term future and I don't value comfort and luxury at all. Maybe I was born with a reckless streak though, so I don't even know if that's a matter of fact. Rather pointless to weigh and measure the benefits of what has or hasn't or might or might not happen because I can only be in one place at a time.

November 13, 2013, 06:33:00 AM
Maybe if someone convinced me I had a soul, I would change the way I did things.

There's the rub. Nobody can. It's your call, and that goes for anybody.
There's a modern trend that sees people demanding something be proved to them, by somebody else, and that is something I just can't fathom. It used to be that people would hear something, from someone, and if it interested them, they would assume it to be true, then set about exploring it for themselves. You want proof? You are the one to provide it.

Anyway, you are luckier than most, in a way: you get to live an uncertain, risky life, without having to go out and discover new and unusual ways of doing it. You have a head start.
On the other hand: there is no time for you to lose. Wake that soul up, before it's too late, because you are going to need it. Your body can't go anywhere but towards its grave. But your soul? It's all that really counts.

November 13, 2013, 11:24:04 AM
Did it ever occur to you two supermen that you will not be young for long?
What of your super bodies then?
Bodies come and go.
Only the spark stays the course.
Yeah of course I realize I'll grow old someday, someday relatively soon. That doesn't mean that my body doesn't form an integral necessary part of what constitutes "me". Without my body "I'm" not truly Dinaric Leather, I would be something derived from what was once Dinaric Leather. My body and consciousness form a dynamic duo. When my body is miserable my soul is miserable and vice versa.

November 13, 2013, 04:49:03 PM
I can see, of course, why you say what you say.
All I can do is remind you that while what you say seems quite obvious to you, it is still not the case.
Identity is very important to people, because people do not know their true nature.
But you can never really know yourself until you are able to dispense with your identity.
You may wonder why you would even want to.
Wondering is where everything starts.
Wonder.

November 13, 2013, 06:18:04 PM
I'm still doing it the old-fashioned way.

People: You have a soul.

Me: How do you figure?

People: Because, I mean, duh, right?

(Alternate ending)

People: Because religious text X has told me so.

So I treat the suggestion with the same merit as I treat the claim that the US government authorities are detaining extraterrestrial visitors in a subterranean facility in a New Mexico desert.

I don't know how someone discovers their immortal soul for themselves. However, if it is there, I will find it.

November 13, 2013, 06:29:36 PM
You won't find it by expecting it to conform to any expectations you have.
Because it isn't there at all.
Until you allow it space, to be what it is.

November 13, 2013, 09:21:18 PM
This discussion really is going nowhere and will continue to do so until some one has defined a soul beyond some ethereal, inexplicable notion (like happiness). If a soul is not something definable then there never was a point in discussing it, which I doubt because surely someone would not knowingly introduce a pointless discussion for the sake of going nowhere (right guys? Right?).

The only notion I have of a soul is what people have told me of it; that it is an immortal, immaterial, acausal, eternal essence that bestows Being upon a being. So when talk of souls occurs, I can hardly be at fault for expecting this soul to conform to these notions because that is all that a soul is so far; a notion.

If someone has defined the soul further then let's hear it. Until then, it is a very personal notion and a great way to trick oneself into keep on keepin' on in the shadow of impending doom that is our mortality. I don't need that, however. I'm not concerned about my temporal existence and no one else need be.

If nothing else, let's throw Occam's razor into the mix and declare souls unnecessary as a notion because they only serve to complicate the explanation of life.

Is existence without a soul really that dreary and pointless? I'd say not... Lots of the time, regular old physical, chemical life is on the verge of overwhelming my comprehension completely. Not as if I'd complain about that...

November 13, 2013, 09:52:37 PM
I dont think Occam`s razor applies. The fundamental nature of thought remains unexplained, it cannot simply be dispensed with. This also relates to ultimate ideas about the origin of existence. Why is there anything rather than not? This is not something you can apply Occam`s Razor to either, the application of simplicity requires some ground to stand on. There is none.

Another one of these questions is, what is life? As our knowledge about the physical processes involves increases, the mystery only deepens.

November 13, 2013, 10:08:33 PM
I see why the unexplained fundamental nature of thought cannot simply be dispensed with. That is exactly what the notion of a soul does, though.

The rest of your post is about silly things that are traps for human thought. "Why is there anything rather than nothing" is absurdity embodied. OR, could be I'm just too pragmatic to understand why one would wonder about such a thing. The answer is as obvious as the foolishness of the question; "Why not?"

Life is just a word to describe a threshhold of complexity. If more people paid attention to the wolrd beyond the end of their noses, it would become evident to all that each galaxy is alive in a more or less complex manner than the manner in which humans are alive. Everything is a machine, things happen because they do, and to torment oneself over solving the mystery is just the weirdest waste of time to me. Just like the insistence on positing the existence of souls. You can make things as confusing as you want or you can accept things for what they are, including the inadequacies and powers of your own perception. Maybe it takes a degree of faith to trust that things are going to work the way they should regardless of how much sense it makes to you, but I doubt it, because I'm generally a faithless person.

November 13, 2013, 11:08:44 PM
Faithless is good. Faith never delivered anything to anybody. Soul is nothing to do with faith.
Imagine nobody knew what colour was, in a time where the sun did not shine, and fire was unknown.
Everything a dull medley of shades of grey.
Then somebody shows up and tries to describe the wonder of colour.
It does nobody any good, if they never get to see colour.
Only those who come alive at the very idea, and embark upon a search to discover it.
Perhaps, at length, some of them find it.
Then they know.
Meanwhile, the dull others ridicule them for 'believing' this crap.

Ignorance is the right of every man. Many prefer it to possible disappointment.

November 13, 2013, 11:44:11 PM
Hey crow, I have a question of curiosity. Did you have a view similar to mine when you were in your  8)early twenties 8)? The way you word your replies seems to suggest it.