Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Ambient & Neoclassical

Ambient & Neoclassical
March 11, 2007, 02:59:42 AM
Being quite ignorant on the topic, I'm interested to hear opinions on the connexion between ambient music genres  (particularly of the Aphex Twin/Autechre ilk) and neoclassicism.

Though I'm deeply appreciative of this music, I can't see, contextually, how it aligns itself with metal etc. Aside from sounding beautiful, in certain cases, though that might only hold true to my own ears. Furthermore, how is the popular act Wolfsheim any different from that mid-80s synth-pop that Depeche Mode put out? Obviously, I've much to learn.

Re: Ambient & Neoclassical
March 11, 2007, 06:40:25 AM
although the actual definition of neoclassical music only refers to the specific period of classical music (starting from Bach's death to Beethoven's death) and not to the genre as a whole this site seems to extend the meaning to the latter. Since romantic period music is now classified as classical you can see the embellishment of heroism, honor, strength, virtue (and even feelings such as those along the lines of fatalism) present in both classical and various metal artists. Also under this sites term for neoclassical 20th century artists (particularly the advante garde composers) wrote music that felt as harsh and cold as that of many death metal and black metal bands (like deicide and ildjarn).

As far as im aware ambient or program music (that this site endorses) promotes a sense of wonder and awe and starts that creative and exploring act of man, making men strive for men then a materialistic world and strive for things that aren't a fabrication of mans mind.

im mostly certain on how neoclassical fits in with metal but i am by no means an expert on ambient music and that entire part about it i wrote from the sole knowledge of dead can dance.

March 12, 2007, 03:26:27 PM
Ahpex twin and to a greater extent venetian snares use electric industrial style noise to create a different sense of nihilism found in metal. Both types of music, in their purist forms are not too different from each other, save the instruments used.

Vajra

March 12, 2007, 10:19:56 PM
and like, in Burzum albums we have the concept manifesting as Black Metal and actual Ambient songs, not just an intro/outro.

March 15, 2007, 05:23:57 AM
The relationship between ambient and other forms of music may seem far-fetched, but is in fact something that has helped it gain a larger listening audience outside underground circles. Metal music, like ambient, is built around the compositional idea that originates from classical music: long and intense pieces communicating an active life experience, through the inherent variation in musical structure. The free boundaries of harmony in classical music, are in ambient used to let go of all sense of percussion and instead form a continuous rhythm by regularly looping melody and sound effects, until a consecutive working arises and determines the overall thematic and musical base, on which to build upon through progression or deconstruction. Like with classical and metal music, ambient is through its free composition able to take use of partial experiences, and merging these together to form a central motif. While most rock and popular music is built around one key melody without significance to experience, classical, metal, and ambient music can only be understood when interpreting the melodic/harmonic and structural changes in the pieces, and construct these together inside the mind of listener, into a solid whole representing and describing an overall ideal, sensation, feeling, or experience.

Ambient music and its relation to metal

March 17, 2007, 03:25:17 PM
I am having trouble finding any info on screaming corpse.

That is the case because they are called Screaming Corpses.

Myrrdin

March 17, 2007, 03:58:51 PM
...making men strive for men....

Yak-yak-yak!

Its hard to accept the "neoclassical" label as an accurate description of Aphex Twin - he states that he is wilfully ignorant of Classical music theory (prefering modern production techniques to compensate), his music makes numerous pop culture references (eg "Tamphex") and his fanbase is the tooth-grinder k-brigade.

His debut is undoubtedly good but "neoclassical?" ...Nope.

March 17, 2007, 10:49:47 PM
perhaps not in a musical definition but there is more to music then just the musical components it is made up of

March 20, 2007, 10:03:31 PM
It's the spirit, you see it in any thinking art which harkens to the eternal.

Classical art can be rediscovered. What joins metal to ambient to neoclassical is the classical heritage in thought, which can be inherited through literature, art and/or philosophy.

March 21, 2007, 08:48:10 AM
It's the spirit, you see it in any thinking art which harkens to the eternal.

Classical art can be rediscovered. What joins metal to ambient to neoclassical is the classical heritage in thought, which can be inherited through literature, art and/or philosophy.

if it is then surely it is down to the interpretation once again.