Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Remembrance.

Remembrance.
November 11, 2013, 10:51:52 PM
I've long found it odd, that people need to be reminded to remember.
Even more odd, that remembering can become a group-thing.
If you can't remember to remember, then nothing is going to help you do it.
Because if you need to be reminded to remember to remember, then you didn't really remember at all.

Christians go to church, once a week, if they remember to go. If they remember to go, then they get to remember Jesus. It seems odd that religious people should need to remember to be religious. Maybe that's what's wrong with Christians.

I don't need to be reminded of much. That is one benefit of awareness. One is the totality of one's experience, minute by minute. I do, however, have difficulty, sometimes, remembering what day it is. In the real world, I guess it doesn't really matter.

Squawk!

Re: Rememberance.
November 12, 2013, 01:36:34 AM
I've long found it odd, that people need to be reminded to remember.
Even more odd, that remembering can become a group-thing.
If you can't remember to remember, then nothing is going to help you do it.
Because if you need to be reminded to remember to remember, then you didn't really remember at all.

Christians go to church, once a week, if they remember to go. If they remember to go, then they get to remember Jesus. It seems odd that religious people should need to remember to be religious. Maybe that's what's wrong with Christians.

I don't need to be reminded of much. That is one benefit of awareness. One is the totality of one's experience, minute by minute. I do, however, have difficulty, sometimes, remembering what day it is. In the real world, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I think rememberance has a function, which is social. In remembering, you bond with your fellows, rather than in bonding with your fellows, you remember.

Re: Rememberance.
November 12, 2013, 02:14:48 AM
Well. That's a fine distinction, and an interesting point.
I feel it is rather difficult for anyone to 'remember' something that was never part of their experience.
In this case, not being alive, when the remembrance-worthy-event took place.
Perhaps 'appreciation' would better describe the celebrating of such events.

Appreciation Day. For those who gave their lives (for the civilization we have so gratefully flushed down the toilet).
I, for one, rarely fail to appreciate those who did so, without having to be reminded to.
While at the same time, being disgusted by the callousness of those who have been entrusted with what the remembered ones died for.

Squawk!