Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Western messiah complex

Western messiah complex
November 12, 2013, 01:56:12 AM
a complex in which sufferers have a desire to redeem and save others, some sufferers have harboured the delusion of being a saviour of people.

Psychology Dictionary: http://psychologydictionary.org/messiah-complex/#ixzz2kONPch8V

“We,” Westerners with a rescue mentality, will never solve “their” problems. As I write this, the country is being rocked with a national scandal the newspapers are calling “Cashgate.” High public officials and politicians have siphoned into the national treasury and the country is broke. The country’s health care system, always threadbare at best, has collapsed. Donors – 40% of the government budget – have suspended their donations. 

I just read where a mid – sized church in the central United States had a one-day event in which church members put on plastic gloves and caps and spent all day packing food for hungry children overseas. One problem I have with this is the statistics I read. Out of 7.1 billion people in the world, 870 million, or about one out of eight, suffers from chronic hunger. In Africa, the stats are even grimmer: nearly one out of four. Africa in recent years was making modest progress, but since 2007 the number of hungry in Africa has increased about 2 percent per year. Sending care packages abroad has marginal impact, because people have to eat 365 days a year, and no church anywhere has the resources to meet the need (870 million X 3 meals a day = 2,610,000,000 meals – every day).

http://theaquilareport.com/why-american-compassion-wont-save-the-world/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=why-american-compassion-wont-save-the-world

For a given region, carrying capacity is the maximum number of individuals of a given species that an area's resources can sustain indefinitely without significantly depleting or degrading those resources. Determining the carrying capacities for most organisms is fairly straightforward.

http://www.wou.edu/las/physci/ch371/lecture/popgrowth/carrying.htm

Re: Western messiah complex
November 12, 2013, 02:02:53 AM
The complex involves seeing oneself as being seen, by others, to be a messiah.
This is why it is a complex.
If there is such a thing as an actual messiah, minus the complex, he would probably be driven to share what he actually knew, in the certain knowledge that what he knew was vital, as opposed to merely being seen to be 'a messiah'.

November 12, 2013, 03:17:30 PM
There's nothing inherently wrong with being driven towards the messianic. It's something of a subconscious thing - a deeprooted psychological pull.

The point where the wanna-be messiahs mess up is this: They want the appearance - not the reality.

The reality involves looking eye to eye with the insanity of the world and others. Which in turn means knowing that you are the sane one yourself. The sanity is what sets the real messiah apart from the phonies.

A messiah is someone speaking truth in a deceitful, dishonest world. A giver instead of a taker.

The fake messiah, on the other hand, cannot free himself from caring about how others judge him. He wants the image of being 'the one' - like an actor or a rock-star - but deep down he cannot trust himself. Thus he puts on an act - and so he becomes one with the insane masses. The very masses that any true messiah could never be a part of.

It's an interesting complex, really. It's central to an adequate understanding of the modern western psyche: Wanting to stand out from the masses, but being unable to, and so becoming one of them.

November 12, 2013, 05:27:09 PM
Well, that was pretty sane stuff. A great description. Like anything else that starts out as good and worthy, the fakes by their fakery give it a bad name. Spiritual hipsterism.

November 12, 2013, 07:29:36 PM
I am here to save you all...

...FROM HIGH PRICES!

November 12, 2013, 10:22:39 PM
As already pointed out the problem is the illogic. Not only don't we solve the world's problems as planned but we make them a little worse and then pat ourselves on the back with humanitarian award ceremonies. That is a collective insanity and a resulting evil masquerading as good just because it says it means well.

November 13, 2013, 05:34:58 AM
Oh, why didn't you say so right away? That is leftism, to which you refer. The not so subtle art of putting appearances before content. I mean, who cares about content, anyway? Leave that to evil racist nazi bigots.

November 23, 2013, 02:45:23 AM
I developed a messiah complex to fix my self esteem issues, and it is working alright so far.