Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sadistic Metal Reviews

Sadistic Metal Reviews
November 16, 2013, 12:06:32 AM

Sadistic Metal Reviews: unabashed elitism. Life is too short to listen to stupid or corrupt music. Meet the proud and unapologetic douchebag elitists who defame the idiotic pulp tripe of a bloated industry so that actually good music can shine.

Sadistic Metal Reviews 11-15-13

cut-n-paste

Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.deathmetal.org/wp-content/uploads/metal_blueprint-600x302.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.deathmetal.org/tag/sadistic-metal-reviews/]Sadistic Metal Reviews[/url]: unabashed elitism. Life is too short to listen to stupid or corrupt music. Meet the proud and unapologetic douchebag elitists who defame the idiotic pulp tripe of a bloated industry so that actually good music can shine.

[url=http://www.deathmetal.org/news/sadistic-metal-reviews-11-15-13/]Sadistic Metal Reviews 11-15-13[/url]

Re: Sadistic Metal Reviews
November 16, 2013, 04:41:54 AM
That Dark Medieval Times review is a very good piece of descriptive and incisive writing, glad to see it again and on this website. Frequent Sadistic Metal Reviews are the best thing about the new DMU. No one else is going to exert this selective pressure. Everywhere being a halfway competent metal band is enough to garner you praise and get you a following. The trash nature of internet metal writing (where did metalsucks/invisigayrange etc. come from?) in the 2000s has ruined its reputation and credibility. I even miss the grimoire of exalted deeds... and Chronicles of Chaos went to utter shit (Todd DePalma was their last decent reviewer anyway, but there were some positive words about them once on the DLA blog, I think. They can be safely taken back now.).

User reviews on MA and such were a possible future, but we all know how that turned out. It may still be salvageable though, as long as there is some genuine revival of the genre.

November 17, 2013, 05:53:45 AM
Fairly accurate, but I think this one glosses over the hit-or-miss qualities of "Death Shall Rise" and "Dark Medieval Times" - both have sincerely good moments in inconsistent frames, something that ideologically exclusive reviewing tends to overlook. Neither is on par with the gymnastics class of Animals as Leaders, too wanky to be a stoner jam band, but too shitty to be listenable music.

November 17, 2013, 07:01:28 AM
User reviews on MA and such were a possible future, but we all know how that turned out.

November 17, 2013, 06:18:25 PM
something that ideologically exclusive reviewing tends to overlook.

Its just not good man... There is a connection between ideology/purity and resultant quality, dishonesty makes for bad music, not getting it and playing along because its cool makes for bad music, but those assesments of quality always follow from listening to the music first. The reasons are dug out after the fact.

If you are instead only saying it has good parts that are unfairly glossed over, I would compare that to finding juicy, tasty bits in a shit sundae.

November 18, 2013, 05:47:39 AM
something that ideologically exclusive reviewing tends to overlook.

Its just not good man... There is a connection between ideology/purity and resultant quality, dishonesty makes for bad music, not getting it and playing along because its cool makes for bad music, but those assesments of quality always follow from listening to the music first. The reasons are dug out after the fact.

If you are instead only saying it has good parts that are unfairly glossed over, I would compare that to finding juicy, tasty bits in a shit sundae.

The degree to which they are decided to be dishonest/shit is greatly exaggerated. After all, there's some genuinely terrible stuff in there like Animals as Leaders.

Satyricon seemed to have a proper grasp on what they were doing, but they had other ambitions - the structure of Dark Medieval Times doesn't seem to be trying to invoke darkness, instead it has a bleak neo-medieval mood which is somewhat unique to that album. It has a different mood without quite the same intensity, which is something good to listen to at times, rather than purely focusing on the best. Hardly seems sadistic, brief reviews like this of second-tier stuff would be useful if they were for lesser known albums.

November 18, 2013, 11:08:29 AM
Dark Medieval Times blows absolutely everything this website has reviewed since it got restarted, out of the water. The sadistic reviews is but a mere crowd pleasing scheme to keep the negatives contempt with what they loved best about DLA and the ANUS. Meanwhile this site is promoting every cd they get in the mail, and promoting crappy movies like "METALHEAD".  Atrocious...

November 18, 2013, 02:27:33 PM
Satyricon seemed to have a proper grasp on what they were doing, but they had other ambitions - the structure of Dark Medieval Times doesn't seem to be trying to invoke darkness, instead it has a bleak neo-medieval mood which is somewhat unique to that album.

In my view, Satyricon understood what they were trying to do ideologically but couldn't translate it into the music. There are other bands who accomplished the neo-medieval feel through entirely different avenues, but Satyricon ends up coming across as an attempt to be the first Immortal album, without the ability to pull it off. There's a disconnect in there somewhere, and it results in some pretty disconnected music.

November 18, 2013, 04:53:22 PM
The sadistic reviews is but a mere crowd pleasing scheme to keep the negatives contempt with what they loved best about DLA and the ANUS.

I dont understand, is scouring poor releases the reason anyone likes the DLA? There isnt much of that there at all, the old anus blog `sadistic` reviews were few and far between.

Although one thing does stand out. If Sadistic Metal Reviews is the space for complete, unfiltered honesty, what do we get the rest of the time? If this is what you mean, then sure, yeah.

November 18, 2013, 05:30:37 PM
Satyricon seemed to have a proper grasp on what they were doing, but they had other ambitions - the structure of Dark Medieval Times doesn't seem to be trying to invoke darkness, instead it has a bleak neo-medieval mood which is somewhat unique to that album.

In my view, Satyricon understood what they were trying to do ideologically but couldn't translate it into the music. There are other bands who accomplished the neo-medieval feel through entirely different avenues, but Satyricon ends up coming across as an attempt to be the first Immortal album, without the ability to pull it off. There's a disconnect in there somewhere, and it results in some pretty disconnected music.

They have a competent understanding and execution of the black metal parts, I don't think they were trying to copy DFM. The use of interludes feels more like they were trying to borrow that from Det som engang var, but didn't create a piece as convincingly coherent. Structurally, it isn't nearly as strong as DSEV, it doesn't flow like a spell as Burzum albums do. It's one of my go-to albums to listen to while playing old video games that don't have music but are complemented by music like that.

For the next round of sadistic metal reviews, may I make suggestions?

November 18, 2013, 07:36:57 PM
I dont know about the admin, but I would like to hear your suggestions anyway Zodijackyl, post them up! There is a suggestions thread in Interzone as well re: DMU.