Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Do you attend church?

Do you attend church?
November 16, 2013, 02:51:35 AM
Or any formal construct for worship.

I don't. Moving beyond my problems with Christianity, I have no desire to set foot in these humanist-influenced churches that have more in common with a social gathering than with a reverent institution. I don't want my worship interrupted with attempts to guilt me into giving money to people supposedly trying to help starving homosexual minorities in Africa. Or whatever it is they do.

However if they had music like this...

Re: Do you attend church?
November 16, 2013, 03:03:43 AM
So, you're not biased, or anything, then?
I haven't been in a church since they tried to burn me at the stake.
I'd sort-of like to go, but somehow I just can't.

November 16, 2013, 03:06:43 AM
So, you're not biased, or anything, then?

I am biased in favor of taking churches seriously.

Something very few Christians do these days.

November 16, 2013, 03:39:14 AM
I've been meaning to hang out at a local Catholic church, "after hours" for months. I want a place to sit and meditate that "feels" holy. All other churches round these parts are drab and industrial, odd for a suburb.

November 16, 2013, 03:47:09 AM
European churches are mostly real solid-stone engineering/artistic marvels. You can't help but notice the care and expense lavished upon them when they were new. Very few north american churches can compare. In fact, I saw a 'church' recently here in Canada, that was a modular steel warehouse hosting a furniture store, before changing hands.
Hard to feel spiritually meditative inside a warehouse.

November 16, 2013, 03:49:09 AM

That's the type of church I like to attend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdko8_Wt3w

November 16, 2013, 03:49:59 AM
I like that one more than the others.

November 16, 2013, 04:01:48 AM
European churches are mostly real solid-stone engineering/artistic marvels. You can't help but notice the care and expense lavished upon them when they were new. Very few north american churches can compare. In fact, I saw a 'church' recently here in Canada, that was a modular steel warehouse hosting a furniture store, before changing hands.
Hard to feel spiritually meditative inside a warehouse.

That's the jest of my experience. I live about an hour between two major cities which everyone knows and sadly enough that's where your architecture is. I do what I can to avoid those places. I hear they have Buddhist temples in LA, can't imagine tranquility is found amidst the roar of traffic and cursing.

November 16, 2013, 02:48:52 PM
A friend of mine has been fortunate enough to have found her spiritual home here: http://www.willingshepherds.org/Chapel%20Fund.htm

Having attended once, I felt as if I had been transported in--or rather, beyond--time and space.

I would imagine that what we now call ergonomics--for spirituality means work, after all--was best understood by the elder master craftsmen responsible for creating such sacred spaces.

November 17, 2013, 06:01:13 AM
I don't want my worship interrupted with attempts to guilt me into giving money to people supposedly trying to help starving homosexual minorities in Africa.

Which churches support homosexual minorities in Africa?

November 17, 2013, 06:20:53 AM
I don't want my worship interrupted with attempts to guilt me into giving money to people supposedly trying to help starving homosexual minorities in Africa.

Christian churches.

November 17, 2013, 03:08:20 PM
I don't.

I like the idea, and I like the cathedrals of old Europe.

I believe Christianity must be renovated, since deposing it would play into the hands of those who wish to decompose this society further.

Here are my problems with contemporary churches:

1. The dress code is not formal enough. This is not an activity dedicated to the self, like shopping or getting coffee. It is worship, where you leave the self behind.
2. Crowdism. If you object to the humanism, pity-the-meek, etc. attitudes toward church, this is their origin. It's external to the religion itself, which is widely misinterpreted.
3. Anti-realism/Dualism. This has always been my primary and enduring problem with Christianity, religion, liberalism and socialization. They're based on the idea that nature and reality are bad, and the only solution is a human order, composed of the wishful desires of the individual as applied by a group of mutually tolerant people using each other to achieve the appearance of consensus on this issue.
4. Not enough nature in general. Here is where the Satanists, Druids and Pagans have my vote. Metaphors about sheep and lions always seem to favor the sheep, because that's popular and manipulating people is how you achieve "success" in a herd.
5. Not enough classical culture. In classical culture, all is in balance and harmony, with a sense of divine order pervading every aspect of reality. In modern religion, we instead have the Revolutionary mentality, where everything is out of order and we must correct it with social engineering.
6. The music is bad, as others have mentioned. No Russian composers for me, either. Bring on the Germans and Danes, and for the Baroque, the Italians.

My religion is Perennialism which has its roots in ancient monistic Pagan faiths but can take any form; here is the best explanation of it.

I will forever be an anti-dualistic and anti-materialist.

Where others can follow this path, I don't particularly care what religious category they apply to themselves. What I care about is whether they are able to live according to this channel of behavior and thought (the latter creates the former) and not import the insanity of a world dedicated to the tangible and immediate as a form of the absolute, which is the traditional way that humans deny mortality, meaning and anything else bigger than themselves. It's a means of suppressing things that frighten us instead of finding the good in them.

November 17, 2013, 06:33:27 PM

American Episcopals, seeker sensitives, half of mega churches, some Southern Baptists even. In the UK, most Anglican churches and probably all Presbytarian churches. People dont notice and think churches are all about hatey preachy stuff but that is because no one goes! If they went they would realize it has been decades since these churches hollowed themselves out to attract those very people that dont go.

November 18, 2013, 06:38:31 AM
Hmm. It's very interesting that someone mentions going to a Catholic church in between services just to be in the building. There is actually a pretty nice church in my little city in the middle of the Midwest US that has me wanting to do the same thing.

I took an architecture drawing class in "high school" (which I didn't really attend) that didn't teach me a damn thing about architecture older than Colonial homes, but it did make me look harder at the features and designs of other buildings, curches and cathedrals particularly. Though I don't know much about the history or technical side of the design, there has always been some aspect of the orirntation of that sort of architecture that really drew me in, almost in a spitirual sense (if I can use that term to the loosest allowable degree). I think it has to do with the large, high-ceiling open spaces, along with the emphasis on sturcture that draws the eye from the ground upward, where features meet and synthesize in beautiful arches, butresses, clovers, domes, and ultimately, the cross. Not able to explain way, I just accept that the geometry and dimensions touch some very profound cog in my psyche, and compell me to create and worship.

This coming from one of those post-anti-Xtian raised-in-a-conservative-religious-home ex-Satanist kind of guys (you know the type).

Not to mention the positively *astounding* acoustics present in those immense rooms. To hear a pipe organ fill a church with its buzzing, warbling sound is a really majestic experience. I would love to drag my amp in there, crank that fucker up to 11, and slash away all downtuned and ominous riffs. Has there ever been a death metal album recorded in a cathedral? I can understand why if not, but at the same time, I don't see why not!

November 18, 2013, 06:58:31 PM

That's the type of church I like to attend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gdko8_Wt3w

We shape clay into a pot,
but it is the emptiness inside
that holds whatever we want.

We hammer wood for a house,
but it is the inner space
that makes it livable.

That is why I prefer a building for such exercises. Cultivate the inner space. Fill it as it fills you.