Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Tristan und Isolde - Prelude

Tristan und Isolde - Prelude
November 25, 2013, 01:00:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qoaioG2UA

Among the most stirring bits of music known to man

Re: Tristan und Isolde - Prelude
November 25, 2013, 02:45:40 AM
I've never been a fan of Wagner, too Romantic-going-on-impressionism for me.
I am more of a ... traditionalist, give me Brahms, Bach, Beethoven (who shows great exploration and non-conformity while remaining structuralist, so to speak).  Even Beethoven's most wild pieces (the famous and great, love-it-or-hate-it Grose Fuge, for example) are structuralist.

I somehow never manage to be moved by Stravinsky, and much less by Wagner.  Full-on Expressionism such as Schoenberg definitely takes me somewhere when I pay attention to it, but it is far from being my favorite.  Wagner makes me feel bored every single time I listen to it. It is not lack of concentration or interest as I sit through Beethoven symphonies or Haydn sonatas just concentrating on the movements in the music.  Even if I take the approach of listening to Wagner as I listen to Burzum (letting it wash over me and just "ride the tide" werever this stream takes me) I do not feel any pull, I don't feel like I am being lead anywhere. 

I will still listen to your shared Tristan and Isolde, though. 

November 25, 2013, 02:55:08 AM
Read Neitzsche on the topic of Tragedy, and then come back to Wagner and The Tristan and Isolde prelude.

November 25, 2013, 05:35:25 AM
Isolde's Liebestod (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLoHcB8A63M) at the ending of that opera is even better than the prelude.  In this opera Wagner basically reached the limits of what classical theory allows without devolving into chaos as some of his successors did.

November 25, 2013, 11:13:58 AM
Wagner makes me feel bored every single time I listen to it. It is not lack of concentration or interest as I sit through Beethoven symphonies or Haydn sonatas just concentrating on the movements in the music.  Even if I take the approach of listening to Wagner as I listen to Burzum (letting it wash over me and just "ride the tide" werever this stream takes me) I do not feel any pull, I don't feel like I am being lead anywhere.

I agree.

November 25, 2013, 01:01:21 PM
I used to feel very much the same. Then one day backpacking, as I was on a boat going up the Norwegian Fjords, I decided to pop it on. It brought it to life.

Maybe I just got older, or maybe it was the setting.

November 25, 2013, 01:21:22 PM
It should also be noted that Wagner is not "pure music".  Taking it out of context as such is bound to strip it of its content.  This is a case where the music and the text are truly inseparable in terms of the overall effect.