Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Who/What is God?

Who/What is God?
November 27, 2013, 09:58:34 PM
A metaphor, a illusion, a human, a schizophrenia fruit. Not exactly the jew/christian god, but the God, the dominant being, the "creator", Zeus, Odin...
What is your vision of god?

Re: Who/What is God?
November 27, 2013, 10:21:21 PM
God is a religious term to describe Reality. But nobody knows that, any more.

November 27, 2013, 11:09:03 PM
The creator, sustainer and destroyer.

Reality is a secular term to describe God.

November 28, 2013, 12:15:59 AM
It appears to be far clearer and more accurate to just worship reality.

November 28, 2013, 01:46:02 AM
Could you elaborate on that a bit Wild? I dont agree but I suppose there is no point pushing it. I would like to hear how it is more accurate though.

November 28, 2013, 02:01:36 AM

As far as we KNOW... no one ever knew it, actually.
As far as we can see, it's all stories made up by humans to explain things they cannot understand. 

November 28, 2013, 02:17:45 AM

As far as we can see, it's all stories made up by humans to explain things they cannot understand.

People didn't ever need to know, before we all went collectively soft in the head.
All they needed to know was that Reality was uber-dangerous, and uber-astounding, and everything else, besides.
Anything incomprehensibly incomprehensible, not to mention threatening, as described above, gets to be respected, revered and gotten onside-with.
Unless, of course, you're us.

November 28, 2013, 09:21:32 AM
God is either the Union or the Intersection of all that exists in all existence.

Which of the two you believe is up to you.

November 28, 2013, 11:16:49 AM

People didn't ever need to know, before we all went collectively soft in the head.
All they needed to know was that Reality was uber-dangerous, and uber-astounding, and everything else, besides.
Anything incomprehensibly incomprehensible, not to mention threatening, as described above, gets to be respected, revered and gotten onside-with.
Unless, of course, you're us.

I agree with you, on this post and on a lot of things. But as I've said before, people with an inquisitve mind, for example scientists, don't think like you. And they are deeply religious too. For example, Isaac Newton. The guy was religious, learned hebrew, practiced alchemy, was a mystic, etc... But he had a drive to understand stuff that was not understood before. It's just a different type of mindset.

Comprehension of mysteries is not incompatible with mysticism/religiosity.

Again the symbol of the serpents of the caduceus comes into play

If you consider one of the serpents as Variation and the other as One Reality, you can understand why crow  says what he says:

Let's say there are three colored balls, one red, one green and one blue. They come together to form all combinations that we know in reality.

A person may understand a lot about the combinations, be an expert, but never know the basics, that everything is formed by these three coloured balls.

A person who has a basic understanding of the combinations, but understood the basic building blocks is wiser. He knows that whatever he is not understanding right now is not that relevant, because in the end, it's a combination of those three building blocks.

If reality is One, this is a given. That's why it's pointless to try to understand every little doubt about reality that comes, being that it is a multiplicity of the one, all is variation of the same idea. 

And a person can be a religious scientist and be passionate about the combinations AND know the mystic contemplation of the formations of the three basic balls.

November 28, 2013, 01:20:29 PM
GOD = ALIEN = ANGEL

November 28, 2013, 03:18:56 PM
Could you elaborate on that a bit Wild? I dont agree but I suppose there is no point pushing it. I would like to hear how it is more accurate though.

Don't restrain yourself on my behalf. I welcome any disagreement from you. My inner dialectic, I suppose. :D

As to accuracy, if God is declared to be a metaphor for Reality, what purpose does having the metaphor serve? It simply opens up worship to anthropomorphization of what is being worshiped and turns it into a symbol rather than something real.

The map is not the territory.

All religions (and a belief in SCIENCE) are an expression of a failure to comprehend the vast expanse of existence. I'm perfectly content to state that I'm just a domesticated primate that doesn't have a clue what's going on.  :)

November 28, 2013, 04:18:42 PM

Don't restrain yourself on my behalf. I welcome any disagreement from you. My inner dialectic, I suppose. :D

As to accuracy, if God is declared to be a metaphor for Reality, what purpose does having the metaphor serve? It simply opens up worship to anthropomorphization of what is being worshiped and turns it into a symbol rather than something real.

The map is not the territory.

All religions (and a belief in SCIENCE) are an expression of a failure to comprehend the vast expanse of existence. I'm perfectly content to state that I'm just a domesticated primate that doesn't have a clue what's going on.  :)

This is a worthwhile observation!

To attempt to encapsulate all universal mechanisms (reality) into one compendium of myths (religion) means to automatically impose limitations on the understanding of that reality. The metaphor will be studied as a stand-alone concept, divorced from the reality it was created to describe. The more the religion myths are picked apart and analyzed, the further you move into abstractions and away from reality.

Also, humans tend to anthropomorpize everything, and that means trying to understand a distinctly inhuman reality as being like human somehow. This only cramps the ability to understand.

November 28, 2013, 06:50:10 PM

Such can be said of any system of knowledge. Functionality is what happens to be important, not terminology. If you want to go with the theory that things fall to the ground because they have a love affair with the earth and that rate is 10 m^2 then you have something that is workable regardless of whether or not the objects in fact do have a love affair or you just call it gravity.

--

Paradoxes, self contradictory collections of narratives and nonsensical views are OK to have as long as they work where the rubber meets the road. You're probably better off with them than nothing.

Whether God is reality or transcendent of it is largely irrelevant next to what you build from that foundation.

November 28, 2013, 07:00:29 PM
Simple observation, along with the experience that allows it, serves as well as any method of science or the figuring out of things...

What does it do?
It does this.
How often does it do this?
More often than it doesn't.
Ergo: this is what it does.

But, like, hey man, it doesn't always do that!
So what? Do you know of anything that always does anything?

Really, who cares, anyway? The most obvious quality of imagining one knows, or understands, anything, is the diminishment of humility in direct proportion to the number of things one thinks one knows about things.
Haha :)

Maybe the whole point of living, at all, is to develop the ability to crack oneself up, while doing it.

November 28, 2013, 07:04:52 PM
Reality appears to have tendencies rather than laws. Expectations cause more misery than they are worth.