Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Who/What is God?

Re: Who/What is God?
December 07, 2013, 03:29:29 AM
There have to be a prior set of physical laws in order for us to even have material, particularly stable matter. The laws themselves are without substance and it should follow that they would have a prior cause as well.

Materialism only possibly makes sense as a philosophy fit for the proletariat so that in the Leninist view, they can keep their focus on labor and working class interests rather than, as they said, "pie in the sky" religion or ethnic interests

I'd bank on the political left's propaganda in promoting materialism through the institutions (no school prayer, multiculturalism e.g.) rather than on any vigorous, logical legitimacy. The original hipsters must have felt that a world of grey, passive drones who only differentiate themselves in harmless, superficial ways after work hours was ideal.

Instead of materialism, I suggest what is ridiculously called "physicalism". In a word, it describes the idea that physical phenomena is "all that there is" insofar as what we can observe and experience. But like you said, laws have to come first, right? Maybe physicalism suggests that there is no such "chicken and egg" question; physical phenomena exists necessarily, and that is all there is to know. Such an idea, to me, has far more spiritual implication than the idea of spirituality itself.

December 07, 2013, 04:04:05 AM
Nearly 100% of people who drone on about 'spirituality' have any inkling of what it is.
As far as I can make out, what it means to most people is performing the appearance of some secret way of behaving, that means the performer is somehow better than the one being performed at.
It has a lot in common with leftism and the antics of leftists.

Whereas: actual spirituality is the appreciation and the embodiment of what goes on behind the material, in order that life and its living should make sense, be what it is, and effortlessly absorb the spiritual person into itself.

December 07, 2013, 05:15:23 AM
Nearly 100% of people who drone on about 'spirituality' have any inkling of what it is.
As far as I can make out, what it means to most people is performing the appearance of some secret way of behaving, that means the performer is somehow better than the one being performed at.
It has a lot in common with leftism and the antics of leftists.

Whereas: actual spirituality is the appreciation and the embodiment of what goes on behind the material, in order that life and its living should make sense, be what it is, and effortlessly absorb the spiritual person into itself.

In other words, you are saying that spirituality is the admission that humans are weak and impotent in the face of The Universe?

December 07, 2013, 05:16:51 AM
What is a human without the godlike spark intended to power him?
A toaster, unplugged.