Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Good articles or books on death metal?

Good articles or books on death metal?
November 28, 2013, 03:49:45 AM
Hi, new here..really liking the site  8)

I am interesting in exploring more about death metal, it's history, style, development,etc. I know the article on wikipedia but it is quite simple and have seen some of the articles on this site. Are there any other good articles online or books where one can get an in depth-look at the sub genre? I quite like death metal but want to have a better grasp/understanding of it's history and characteristics and divisions.

Barring that I could probably just post a series of questions/doubts I have about the genre in the hopes that some members of this forum can offer some info?

Additionally, is there a good comparison between death metal and deathcore around which outlines the difference of each?

Appreciate the help.

Re: Good articles or books on death metal?
November 28, 2013, 05:37:51 AM
http://www.deathmetal.org/faq

Ian Christe's "Sounds of the Beast"

Albert Mudrian's book on death metal

November 28, 2013, 07:11:22 AM
Thanks for the pointers!

You mean the book 'Choosing Death: The Improbable History of Death Metal and Grindcore'?

Also what do people here think of the book Swedish Death Metal by Daniel Ekeroth? Is it worth a look?

November 28, 2013, 04:47:42 PM
Choosing Death is respectable.

So is of course Glorious Times and the forthcoming Underground Never Dies!

I liked the Ekeroth book, and both Tom G. Warriors too.

Don't we have a Goodreads page for this site?

November 28, 2013, 06:00:55 PM
There is a books section but I didn't really see anything specific to death metal.

Thanks for listing those other books!

November 28, 2013, 07:37:42 PM
Additionally, is there a good comparison between death metal and deathcore around which outlines the difference of each?

Not as far as I know, they are so different that it would be unnecessary.

For death metal in general, the history and philosophy links in the About Metal section are probably better than most sources.

May I ask why you are looking for this stuff? It would probably be best just to bring up individual queries, it will give us an idea of exactly what you are looking for too and perhaps we could point you to more substantial material once we have an idea.

November 28, 2013, 07:55:32 PM
May I ask why you are looking for this stuff? It would probably be best just to bring up individual queries, it will give us an idea of exactly what you are looking for too and perhaps we could point you to more substantial material once we have an idea.

The why is very much just personal interest as I love the music and want to learn more about it's background.

As to particular queries, I'll start the apparent rivalry between the death and black metal scenes, what was up there? Why were people like Fenriz from Darkthrone 'fed up with the popularity of death metal'? I got this bit from the wikipedia page but it doesn't really digs deeper. Were bands like Darkthrone who at first were death metal jump into black metal as a sort of rebellion/reaction against death metal?

Thanks in advance.

November 29, 2013, 03:30:43 AM
Also, so as to not start a separate thread for this: Where is the line draw between regular death, brutal death and technical death metal? What are the defining characteristics/differences between them? Sometimes the lines seem to be rather blury, specially between brutal and tech death metal.

November 29, 2013, 10:59:57 AM
Death metal is a subgenre of metal music. Brutal and Technical are descriptions of style which both involve taking the technique of death metal and pushing it as far as possible, almost always at the expense of music. Brutal takes cues from the band Suffocation, and is full of high speed chugs whereas Tech is more about translating guitar lessons to music (scale runs etc.). Most of all these two descriptors are flavour, they dont mean much and that is why the lines are so blurry.