Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Top 10 Worst Crimes Committed by Black Metal Musicians

I would be interested in the take by members of this forum on this list. Considering these acts, how do you feel about black metal as a whole, more importantly the people behind the music? These acts impact on metal as a whole, etc. If these acts were done by posers and kids trying to be tr00 or whatever it would be different but here we are talking about the pioneers and prominent figures of black metal.

Here is the list see the article for more details on each:

10. Church Burnings
9. Niklas "Ghoul" Kvarforth
8. Gorgoroth's Black Mass in Kraków
7. Mayhem Vocalist "Dead" found… uhhh… Dead
6. Jef Whitehead Charged with Sexually Assaulting Girlfriend with Tattoo Gun
5. Stalaggh Abduct Mental Patients for Projekt Misanthropia
4. Silencer's Nattramn Attacks 5-year-old with Axe
3. Faust of Emperor Stabs Gay Man to Death
2. Gaahl's Assault and Torture Convictions
1. The Murder of Euronymous

Here is the link to the article:

http://www.metalinjection.net/lists/top-10-crimes-committed-black-metal-musicians

Personally, stuff like this makes me lose respect for Black metal and it's musicians, it is one thing to talk about gore and death in a sort of tongue in cheek a la death metal, but this is different.

If a band talks about gore and death in their music in a "tongue-in-cheek" way, then it is probably garbage music. If music makers believe that "only death is real" then they should live by that.

These black metal musicians were socially retarded young kids with massive ego issues.

Chaotic, random crime is not commendable. It does not demonstrate a spirit of strength and nobility.

Nevertheless, they at least did *something* truly extreme, even if it was due to childish spats and fits of daddy-issue-blues. Most bands are "all talk".

Sort of silly post no (or article, I guess)? Few of the crimes cited in your post are connected in any meaningful sense. Allen West was cooking meth but death metal musicians are not known for their chemical enterprising. #8 doesnt seem to fit, no crime there. The suicide of Dead does not either. The Leviathan crime; no relation to black metal, metal music, anything. Jef Whitehead is a tattoo artist too. Plus Leviathan does not have anything in common with the original black metal as far as principles and beliefs are concerned. Stalaggh is a gimmick and the mental patient shit is BS, untrue. I have never seen actual evidence of it, just claims and played up articles on music websites. The Nattramn assault is also a hoax as far as I know.

The ones with substance relate to the group of early Norwegians who were quite driven ideologically. This music does attract outsider personalities, some of whom may be a little more outsider. Why not attribute #3 to his homosexuality though ;)?

Overall, none of this stuff except church burnings has anything to do with black metal per se, and even those were the acts of few connected individuals. I thought they were rather stupid but I dont see why it would affect the music in any way. I dont listen to an artists criminal record. The murder of Euronymous does not merit discussion. This list is constructed to drive page views on a metal website, it has no rigour to it.

Overall, none of this stuff except church burnings has anything to do with black metal per se, and even those were the acts of few connected individuals. I thought they were rather stupid but I dont see why it would affect the music in any way. I dont listen to an artists criminal record. The murder of Euronymous does not merit discussion.

Alright but in the case of Mayhem's Dead, to cite one example, the whole act was turned by band members into something to market the band and exalt it's 'image', with them using that infamous picture as an album cover and Euronymous making necklaces out of pieces of Dead's skull. So it is not so clear cut to just say separate the people behind the music from the music, especially when there are people like Euronymous who hope that black metal incites people to spread misery to others (something which he and the arsonists felt the church burning accomplished).

I dont really know where you are getting this info, half of it is rumors and half of it is narratives completed after the fact. Addressing the bits known to be true:

- It made a great cover. (Bootleg, not album)
- Dead people dont complain when you use their skull bits as necklaces.
- I also hope black metal spreads a bit more misery around, we could use it.

#6 was found to be innocent as well.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

10. Alcest
9. Wolves in the Throne Room
8. Dimmu Borgir
7. Ihsahn's solo albums
6. Whatever the fuck post-black metal was
5. Later Enslaved
4. Later Immortal
3. Trendy Blasphemy rip-offs
2. Later Darkthrone
1. Alcest

With this you very much confirm the criticism many have of a lot of black metal artist's disregard for human life. Even some of the members from Mayhem were repulsed by Euronymous' actions.

10. Alcest
9. Wolves in the Throne Room
8. Dimmu Borgir
7. Ihsahn's solo albums
6. Whatever the fuck post-black metal was
5. Later Enslaved
4. Later Immortal
3. Trendy Blasphemy rip-offs
2. Later Darkthrone
1. Alcest

Agreen on nearly all counts, Alcest is plain awful, and the other Post-Black metal acts are no better.

Even some of the members from Mayhem were repulsed by Euronymous' actions.

Yeah but Euronymous made the music!

Even some of the members from Mayhem were repulsed by Euronymous' actions.

Yeah but Euronymous made the music!

Yes...music which he asserted must be Satanic (as in theistic satanism, not the LaVeyan stuff) and drive his totalitarian ideology and help spread misery to others. it was not until his death that black metal sort of began to drop the ideological baggage, even tho there still are some who follow along the same trail.

Quality dropped about the same time too.

With this you very much confirm the criticism many have of a lot of black metal artist's disregard for human life. Even some of the members from Mayhem were repulsed by Euronymous' actions.

Black metal was against the crowd, artistically, ideologically. Making this sort of appeal, even internal to the black metal crowd, is misguided on your part.

Quality dropped about the same time too.

Well, that is rather subjective but what has been with black metal from the start is the fact that the genre has always had an identity crisis. This is probably why it is such a broad and loosely defined genre, able to contain even the least metal bands imaginable (think the current crop of hipster atmospheric black metal and post-black metal bands that only pay lip service to the genre yet are considered part of it). Wether it is because of the decline in quality, the dissolving of the genre due to the excessive experimentation done by the post-second wave artist or the invasion of hipsters, black metal is largely a failed subgenre.

Quality is not subjective and judging a genre by bands outside of it is...not very smart.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden