Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Top 10 Best Progressive Metal Bands

Re: Top 10 Best Progressive Metal Bands
December 05, 2013, 11:17:30 AM
Since you edited:

If you want to argue that Cog and Tool are too "developed" from grunge, fine. What would you label them?

"Post-metal" and "Alternative metal" are not serious monikers.

December 05, 2013, 11:19:15 AM
>:( I guess Cog is just 2Deep4Me >:(

And what objective features of that retarded Ildjarn track makes it profound?

Evisceration of pretense. Void of sentimentality. Audio nihilism.

You are advocating technique over substance.

Wrong. There are 2 time signature alterations I can discern in that song: from 7/8 to 9/8 and then back. That is nowhere near the extend some stupid bands go to.

That song is like surfing, I Imagine. You wrap yourself around an evolving motion, and ride it as it circles you, and you adjust yourself to it's flow. Its like 2 planets circling each other in different orbits, and discerning the patterns in which they irregularly but systematically meet up 

You're advocating aesthetics over substance. Damn well play that Ijdarn song without the ridiculously exaggerated 'low fi' feel and the 'necro' vocals and you wouldn't piss on it, I'm sure.

Since you edited:

If you want to argue that Cog and Tool are too "developed" from grunge, fine. What would you label them?

"Post-metal" and "Alternative metal" are not serious monikers.

It's not post-metal, post metal is mostly droney, boring longwinded stuff in standard time. Alternative metal is wrong too, I would think, because it's not metal. It's rock. Rock is mostly about rhythm and harmony, with minimal melodic sensibility. Cog and Tool (Tool have fucking embarrassing moments - don't think I'm a complete fan boy), are rock, with developed rhythmic sensibility, but which knocks out harmony. I don't even think they would call themselves metal.

Anyway, that's my wrap.

December 05, 2013, 11:30:14 AM
Nah man; Cog is just, like, too complex and shit. The only way to appreciate it is to have a music degree and a bong.

Damn well play that Ijdarn song without the ridiculously exaggerated 'low fi' feel and the 'necro' vocals and you wouldn't piss on it, I'm sure.

Well, you'd be wrong. On the recent split, there's multiple instrumental tracks with more modern production. It's still quality material.

Cog and Tool (Tool have fucking embarrassing moments - don't think I'm a complete fan boy), are rock, with developed rhythmic sensibility, but which knocks out harmony. I don't even think they would call themselves metal.

I agree; however, I have seen them referred to in that way.

Post-alternative rock?

December 05, 2013, 11:35:35 AM
Nah man; Cog is just, like, too complex and shit. The only way to appreciate it is to have a music degree and a bong.

Perhaps, more or less as all the great music on this website was analysed, if I'm not mistaken.

Damn well play that Ijdarn song without the ridiculously exaggerated 'low fi' feel and the 'necro' vocals and you wouldn't piss on it, I'm sure.

Well, you'd be wrong. On the recent split, there's multiple instrumental tracks with more modern production. It's still quality material.

Do you have a link? I would be interested to hear.

Cog and Tool (Tool have fucking embarrassing moments - don't think I'm a complete fan boy), are rock, with developed rhythmic sensibility, but which knocks out harmony. I don't even think they would call themselves metal.

I agree; however, I have seen them referred to in that way.

Post-alternative rock?

It's progressive alternative rock maybe. Why the stress of value laden term 'progressive'? Well it has progressed one dimension of alternative rock - rhythm. This is better than 'Progressive Grunge'  because Grunge, as a sub-genre of the vague label 'alternative rock', has a lighter mood.

Alternatively, I don't care anymore.