Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Who/What is Satan?

Re: Who/What is Satan?
December 10, 2013, 01:32:08 AM
Prometheus is a different figures entirely from a different cultural universe, but many combine him into one personage with Satan and Lucifer.  Prometheus is a force for and of creativity, development, courage, wisdom, defiance, knowledge ... among many more attributes of which some overlap with Lucifer and with Satan.  In my understanding, Prometheus is different because of his intention and ultimate altruistic outlook.  It is an altruism that has a heroic character and demands the best.

The difficulty here is that Judaism did not exist in a vacuum and even though their sages--especially in the Talmudic era--did a lot to purge a lot from the religion that they saw as "innovations" or "external influences", such ideas persist into the modern era in both Judaism and Christianity.  Entire books have been written on the subject of Satan, Lucifer, or Prometheus with differing worldviews and ideologies within.  Some of them are well-written and in a scientific context, others are not.  Tendencies which many of us may not want to admit to may very well be as much part of our heritage as much as the most lofty of traits, and also not easily separable.

Richard Dawkins, Howard Bloom, and others have written brilliant works on this.

December 10, 2013, 02:12:21 AM
Truly this confusion compounds itself. Satan is the whisperer, the reject, the liberal, powerless except for knowledge and for humanity. Strength, darkness, silence, cacophony, authority, hell, heaven all come from the Lord, for all creation comes from him and evil is a privation thereof. I see my favourite Euronymous quote in this thread, yet the Christianity that he despised is modern Christianity which is a front for liberalism (as far as people are concerned). Ironically his position was closer to genuine faith.

What is Satan? More importantly what is he not? Not the dark half that is for sure, but that is what he is often considered. The rebellion of Satan is one of petulance and ego, not will, for will is a godly thing. The horned Lord is not Satan, though I am sure he would love to be considered as such!

December 10, 2013, 04:24:09 PM
Once again, people will use whatever words they feel are appropriate to express whatever they think is important to be expressed.

Do yourself a favor and go look back to where the word Satan came from. You might be surprised.

December 10, 2013, 04:54:09 PM
Truly this confusion compounds itself. Satan is the whisperer, the reject, the liberal, powerless except for knowledge and for humanity. Strength, darkness, silence, cacophony, authority, hell, heaven all come from the Lord, for all creation comes from him and evil is a privation thereof. I see my favourite Euronymous quote in this thread, yet the Christianity that he despised is modern Christianity which is a front for liberalism (as far as people are concerned). Ironically his position was closer to genuine faith.

What is Satan? More importantly what is he not? Not the dark half that is for sure, but that is what he is often considered. The rebellion of Satan is one of petulance and ego, not will, for will is a godly thing. The horned Lord is not Satan, though I am sure he would love to be considered as such!

I think this is too convoluted to be an accurate depiction.

As Shiva dances, he creates. As he creates, so he destroys. Life exists between Venus and Mars.

I believe a more accurate picture of Satan is found in the dialectic between Satan and Christ which gives us knowledge of God.

Simple no?

December 11, 2013, 03:05:38 AM
I believe a more accurate picture of Satan is found in the dialectic between Satan and Christ which gives us knowledge of God.

Now, that's *more* like it. It is does not have to be super complicated.

December 11, 2013, 03:16:19 AM
In reality, nothing ever really is.

December 11, 2013, 03:18:21 AM
Long day of work, mind numbed, absorption threshold reached. Forgive the sloppy grammar, if you can find it in your heart.

December 11, 2013, 03:44:29 AM
I spent a moment wondering what you might have been talking about re: grammar.
Then I saw the errant 'is'. Then I saw my italicized 'is'.
That's when I realized you thought that I thought that you thought...
Etc.
That's what I was referring to by unnecessary complication.
It had nothing to do with grammar, or nitpicking.
It was, incredibly, a simple observation about reality.

December 11, 2013, 04:11:23 AM
Right, I see. What a confusing mess, text. In this case you'll have to excuse my generally dulled comprehension of what the hell is going on around me.

December 11, 2013, 03:26:41 PM
Not your thinking, but your being, is distinctiveness. Therefore not after difference, as ye think it, must ye strive; but after your own being. At bottom, therefore, there is only one striving, namely, the striving after your own being. If ye had this striving ye would not need to know anything about the pleroma and its qualities, and yet would ye come to your right goal by virtue of your own being. Since, however, thought estrangeth from being, that knowledge must I teach you wherewith ye may be able to hold your thought in leash.

-Jung

December 11, 2013, 07:13:25 PM
Jung said that? Good for him. He seems to have had a clue.

December 11, 2013, 08:04:28 PM
Verily.