Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Call for best of 2013 Metal album opinions/nominations/suggestions

I for one have stated several times my preference of Zealotry's The Charnel Expanse over anything this year.

How about you guys?

Well lets get some names before we say who over what. Condor - Nadia is a definite, just had a pretty good front page interview. The first metal by the self-aware metalhead post death of metal that is actually good? Despite being maudlin in the extreme sometimes its beautiful stuff, and that comes first. I can forgive any aesthetic faux-pas if the end result is still beauty.

You know I promise myself that I will listen to some of Zealotry every time I read one of those posts of yours but never bother. I will do it now.

Add Satan and Blitzkrieg.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

Add Satan and Blitzkrieg.

I will!
What did you like about those albums so much that you hold them in high regard?
Blitzkrieg eluded me, though I think it sounded coherent.  Haven't listened to Satan's album yet.

The Satan album is probably the best heavy/speed metal of the recent past. I like Court in the Act better, but this measures up well. That is another definite. Blitzkrieg on the other hand, not really impressed by the new album. I would not put it in a best-of-year list until I was sure there were not other candidates.

"High regard" is too strong. I respect the releases to an extent for being well-crafted in their genre. For this reason, they are superior to 98% of the releases of their competition, though the NWOBHM style isn't particularly interesting to me and I have no plans to ever listen to either album again.

The Cóndor release I recognize has many positive qualities, though it does not align with my personal taste and thus I probably will not listen to it again. I'm interested in their future output.

The only releases in 2013 I'll listen to going forward are the Ildjarn split and Imprecation.

- Jonathan Bowden

Mentioning the Burzum album here too, though it wasn't metal. I thought it was unlistenable garbage, some people disagree.

Although I suppose I'm judging it harshly because we all know the musician behind it has contributed to some of the greatest Art of the 20th century. If we remove that history and expectation, the release probably would stand up in 2013.

That says a lot about this year.

- Jonathan Bowden

I have been championing Nadia since it was on the front page earlier this year. Outstanding stuff, haven't stopped listening since. So, seconding the recommendation.

I'm surprised at the mention of Blitzkrieg. It is a style that is easy for me to like, so I have been listening to it a lot, but there are at least two songs on the album that are straight-forward god-fucking-awful radio rock. And then there are a couple of songs that go nowhere for every minute they are on. Also, NWOBHM with so few solos?! That's not cool, man.

Why does it deserve to be on best-of-the-year list? I'm baffled.

What would replace it?

- Jonathan Bowden

I have been championing Nadia since it was on the front page earlier this year. Outstanding stuff, haven't stopped listening since. So, seconding the recommendation.

I'm surprised at the mention of Blitzkrieg. It is a style that is easy for me to like, so I have been listening to it a lot, but there are at least two songs on the album that are straight-forward god-fucking-awful radio rock. And then there are a couple of songs that go nowhere for every minute they are on. Also, NWOBHM with so few solos?! That's not cool, man.

Why does it deserve to be on best-of-the-year list? I'm baffled.

I agree, I think many things this year top Blitzkrieg.
Altars, Bolzer, Heresiarch, Zealotry. 
They may be apples and oranges, but in their respective styles you can measure them up (subjectively, that is...).
I don't do "top of a particular branch".  I really want to know the best overall Metal releases.

I reckon these ones should make it:

Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Satan - Life Sentence
Von - Dark Gods, Seven Billion Slaves
Scalpel - Sorrow and Skin
Birth A.D. - I Blame You
Burzum - Sôl Austan, Mâni Vestan

I think these are good too but not sure if they should make the list:

Centurian - Contra Rationem
Warbeast - Destroy
Disfigurement – Soul Rot

And these I haven't heard yet but judging from the reviews on this site they're probably worth considering:

Profanatica - Thy Kingdom Cum
Condor - Nadia
Witchblood - Blood and the Elements

I completely forgot about Summoning and Profanatica, damn. Old Mornings Dawn is not a very metal album to be honest, but it is great. Should probably collect some feedback about Thy Kingdom Cum for this thread. I have not heard it at all, nor have I encountered anyone who has except for the front page review here. I cant trust those anymore so I would appreciate if someone who has given it a good listen could chime in.

I would nominate Lantern - 'Below' to the list.

As a side note, the Burzum album isn't metal. So how can that be included?

What would replace it?

Pfft, don't ask me dude, I'm just here to rip on stuff I don't like.

;D I can support that. ;D

- Jonathan Bowden