Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Call for best of 2013 Metal album opinions/nominations/suggestions

No one has heard Thy Kingdom Cum?

As a side note, the Burzum album isn't metal. So how can that be included?

Dead Can Dance and Lord Wind made it into last years best of because they were metal in spirit.

Like most years, the best new album this year is a Graveland album.  Thunderbolts of the Gods.

While Cold Winter Blades had a uniform heroic war-parade sound, Thunderbolts of the Gods is more complex and contemplative in mood.  There is a sense of the fright, bewilderment, and fatigue from battle.  I visualized the reflections of a warrior, near the end of a campaign, at some calm moment between battles, after having witnessed horrible things - perhaps the death of a loved one in battle.

This is complex in mood and takes the listener through a journey.  Not more enjoyable than the uniform war-parades of recent albums, but more interesting and more mature in sound.

I would vote Condor, Summoning. October Falls - The Plague of a Coming Age was good as well.

I reckon these ones should make it:

Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Satan - Life Sentence
Von - Dark Gods, Seven Billion Slaves
Scalpel - Sorrow and Skin
Birth A.D. - I Blame You
Burzum - Sôl Austan, Mâni Vestan

I think these are good too but not sure if they should make the list:

Centurian - Contra Rationem
Warbeast - Destroy
Disfigurement – Soul Rot

And these I haven't heard yet but judging from the reviews on this site they're probably worth considering:

Profanatica - Thy Kingdom Cum
Condor - Nadia
Witchblood - Blood and the Elements

I'll be checking out the ones I do not know in this list.  Thanks!

Profanatica seems extremely promising, Imprecation was very good. Grave Miasma's Odori Sepolcrorum has impressed me quite a bit. Summoning's always solid.

Summoning and My Bloody Valentine, though I don't know if they're even 'metal in spirit'.

My List:

KRYPTS - UNENDING DEGRADATION

ULCERATE - VERMIN

IMMOLATION - KINGDOM OF CONSPIRACY

GRAVE MIASMA - ODORI SEPULCRORUM

AOSOTH - IV AN ARROW IN HEART

SALIGIA - LUX AETERNAE (EP)

VON - DARK GODS - SEVEN BILLIONS......

for the moment...

That Immolation album is straight garbage, I lost a lot of respect for Vigna, Dolan and co. after their last two. It double sucks because I love that fucking baldy, Bob Vigna is a genius.

Condor - Nadia is a definite, just had a pretty good front page interview. The first metal by the self-aware metalhead post death of metal that is actually good? Despite being maudlin in the extreme sometimes its beautiful stuff, and that comes first. I can forgive any aesthetic faux-pas if the end result is still beauty.

It's nice to read, that they are interested in such themes. It sounds promising and I believe, that they are honest people. But they made too many false steps, like their list of bands crucial to metal development. Their perception of metal is signum temporis - they can only approach to it as to a historic phenomenon. Such situation occur because everything labelled at some time as metal had to be included retrospectively into "definition" by any honest researcher. We know, that what should be perceived as "metal" differs from such perspective substantially. However, younger listeners of course want to grasp it in its entirety. It's all inclusive, because it's all past and it doesn't feel appropriate to declare some ideological war against artistic styles of the past, while back then metal was simply at war in order to set proper definition. Now they are choosing forms, same as bourgeoisie 100 years ago, when they tried to build present through historicism.

As for the music of Cóndor - their influences, their nationalistic views and all they are trying to be are absorbed by their natural hard rock sensibilities.

Summoning
Probably Graveland if it's good (haven't heard it)
Birth A.D. - I feel that nothing important was built upon their EP

Just spent a few days listening to that Satan album. Would definitely recommend over Blitzkrieg. Obviously would be redundant to have both albums on a best-of list.

EDIT: Also missed the Disfigurement album, and can't imagine why I forgot about it. Outstanding stuff, great not just in terms of modern death metal, but good at least extremely solid by any standard.

It sounds promising and I believe, that they are honest people. But they made too many false steps, like their list of bands crucial to metal development. Their perception of metal is signum temporis - they can only approach to it as to a historic phenomenon. Such situation occur because everything labelled at some time as metal had to be included retrospectively into "definition" by any honest researcher. We know, that what should be perceived as "metal" differs from such perspective substantially...

...As for the music of Cóndor - their influences, their nationalistic views and all they are trying to be are absorbed by their natural hard rock sensibilities.

I think this is too harsh, the cited list of bands is not bad. The big black metal names had a lot of straight rock influences, I dont think it matters that much. I agree with the broad sentiment in your statement though.

Birth A.D. - I feel that nothing important was built upon their EP

Yeah, no kidding. On top of that I think the EP just sounds better too. It is still a contender in 2013 though.

dead last have you heard the first Satan album too? Should do.

The whole year DLA keeps us busy with nonsense like Demented doctrine, Warbeast, Kommandant, October Tide, Revel in Flesh, Hellbastard, Lifeless, Lecherous Nocturne... while there is a new Graveland?

Listening right now, sounds like the usual quality, thanks for this info christopher!

dead last have you heard the first Satan album too? Should do.

Yes, I like their first two albums pretty well actually. It's like when I want to listen to Judas Priest and something more evil at the same time, it's perfect.

That's why I didn't listen to this new album for a while. It sounded way more tame, I thought some of the spirit would be lost. The guitar tone sounds borderline clean and the singing is very restrained, almost to the point of relaxed sometimes. Nevertheless, these were just minor quibbles with the aesthetic; I've gotten beyond my hesitation.

Would also like to second the recommendation for the Scalpel album (Sorrow & Skin). I've been listening to an older EP by them and while it is solid, S&S is a huge step up and like the Disfigurement album, good by any standard, all older and newer death metal taken into consideration. In fact I would recommend it over Soul Rot.

Has anyone eared the new Gehenna?