Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Call for best of 2013 Metal album opinions/nominations/suggestions

Thanks for the lists comrades, I'm behind on my metal.  What about the new Ildjarn, did it really miss the mark?  I haven't heard it ...
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Thanks for the lists comrades, I'm behind on my metal.  What about the new Ildjarn, did it really miss the mark?  I haven't heard it ...

It's not bad but it definitively not as good as his other works.
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” -Krishnamurti

''I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.''  -Hippolyte Taine

Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Birth A.D. - I Blame You
Von - Dark Gods, Seven Billion Slaves
Profanatica - Thy Kingdom Cum
Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane

These six have not only held up to repeated listens, but I've found myself wanting to go back to them. Scalpel is awful to me, though I can see why many like it. All NWOBH is once in a blue moon music. Condor wasn't bad. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more refinement and some dynamic pacing.

Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Birth A.D. - I Blame You
Von - Dark Gods, Seven Billion Slaves
Profanatica - Thy Kingdom Cum
Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane

These six have not only held up to repeated listens, but I've found myself wanting to go back to them. Scalpel is awful to me, though I can see why many like it. All NWOBH is once in a blue moon music. Condor wasn't bad. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more refinement and some dynamic pacing.

The Von album from last year was garbage. Is this year's album that much of an improvement?

Yes. I hated von with the exception of one song prior.

Interesting. Will give it a listen. Thanks.

Also, been listening to Thy Kingdom Come a lot since download was provided the other day. I'm not acquainted with Profanatica (not being a black metal fan in general) but this sounds pretty solid so far. Unfortunately I don't know of many other BM albums to compare it to this year, but it definitely gets the spirit of the music right. Musicianship is passable at least. Cover art is awesome. Otherwise the album must have some merit if someone as anti-BM as myself can understand it. Not sure how it deserves to be on a year-end list compared to some of the other great stuff already recommended.

If you enjoyed that you will probably enjoy the much superior Profanatitas de Domonatia.

Cultes Des Ghoules - Henbane is less than Haxan so I did not want to name (my opinion).
so also
Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult - Necrovision , was not as superior as their previous work, the other does not convince me yet and I'm listening to more than once is to Nocturnal Graves (is more D666).

Interesting, Hell, I thought henbane corrected the "Where are the riffs?" Problem of Haxan.

If you enjoyed that you will probably enjoy the much superior Profanatitas de Domonatia.

Will listen, thanks.

My List:

KRYPTS - UNENDING DEGRADATION

ULCERATE - VERMIN

IMMOLATION - KINGDOM OF CONSPIRACY

GRAVE MIASMA - ODORI SEPULCRORUM

AOSOTH - IV AN ARROW IN HEART

SALIGIA - LUX AETERNAE (EP)

VON - DARK GODS - SEVEN BILLIONS......

for the moment...

I got to disagree here...
Von and Krypts sound nice aesthetically, but I do not think they strike real gold.
Ulcerate is.. well cool experimentation, leave it at that.
Immolation is clutching at its own past but cannot reach it.  This album seems to be trying hard to be Here in After but with more catchy sections and simpler structures.
I found Grave Miasma ok for a spin, but I don't even find an original voice in there. Too generic.

Aosoth and Saligia, I have yet to listen.

That Immolation album is straight garbage, I lost a lot of respect for Vigna, Dolan and co. after their last two. It double sucks because I love that fucking baldy, Bob Vigna is a genius.

They've definitely lost their edge.

Most of these best-of lists in recent years seem to be dominated by bands that sound like either Incantation or Havohej/Profanatica, bands I never enjoyed at all. I wonder if such a basic style is just easier to pull off convincingly or what. It's why I definitely give my vote to Summoning; a refined style like that takes much more care and dedication to do effectively than yet another "Onward to Golgotha" worship fest.
-l-

My List:

KRYPTS - UNENDING DEGRADATION

ULCERATE - VERMIN

IMMOLATION - KINGDOM OF CONSPIRACY

GRAVE MIASMA - ODORI SEPULCRORUM

AOSOTH - IV AN ARROW IN HEART

SALIGIA - LUX AETERNAE (EP)

VON - DARK GODS - SEVEN BILLIONS......

for the moment...

I got to disagree here...
Von and Krypts sound nice aesthetically, but I do not think they strike real gold.
Ulcerate is.. well cool experimentation, leave it at that.
Immolation is clutching at its own past but cannot reach it.  This album seems to be trying hard to be Here in After but with more catchy sections and simpler structures.
I found Grave Miasma ok for a spin, but I don't even find an original voice in there. Too generic.

Aosoth and Saligia, I have yet to listen.

Do check out Aosoth IV, it is very solid. Sounds like older Deathspell Omega, but quite a lot more coherent. Not sure about it being end-of-year list material though.

Someone, somewhere is lying about quality, because these are all contenders:

Abyssal- Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius
Oblivion- Called to Rise
Vorum- Poisoned Void
Cultes Des Ghoules- Henbane
Centurian- Contra Rationem
Remains- …Of Death
Suffocation- Pinnacle of Bedlam
Krypts- Unending Degradation
Khand- The Fires of Celestial Ardour
Sinistrous Diabolus- Total Doom//Desecration
Brutality- Ruins of Humans
Lifeless- Godconstruct
Slaughterday- Cosmic Horror
Lecherous Nocturne- Behold Almighty Doctrine
Goatcraft- All For Naught
A Transylvanian Funeral- Gorgos Goetia
October Tide- Tunnel of No Light
Irkallian Oracle- Grave Ekstasis
Morgengrau- Extrinsic Pathways
Birth A.D.- I Blame You
Revel in Flesh- Manifested Darkness
Hod- The Uncreated Demo
Aosoth- IV: Arrow in Heart
Eternal Rest- Prophetic
Plaga- Magia gwiezdnej entropii
Immolation- Kingdom of Conspiracy
Thou Art Lord- The Regal Pulse of Lucifer
Burzum – Sôl austan, Mâni vestan
Imprecation- Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Gevurah- Necheshirion
Pasadena Napalm Division- Self-Titled
Lantern- Below
Summoning- Old Morning’s Dawn
Zealotry- The Charnel Expanse
Autopsy- The Headless Ritual
Deeds of Flesh- Portals to Canaan
Graveland- Thunderbolts of the Gods
Serocs- The Next
Beyond- Fatal Power of Death
Abominant- Onward to Annihilation
Impiety- The Impious Crusade
Cóndor- Nadia
Grave- Morbid Ascent
Gorguts- Colored Sands
Scalpel- Sorrow and Skin
The Ruins of Beverast- Blood Vaults
Grave Miasma- Odori Sepulcrorum
Disfigurement- Soul Rot
Master- The Witchhunt
Ildjarn/Hate Forest- Those Once Mighty Fallen
Cosmic Church- Ylistys
Temple of Baal- Verses of Fire
War Master- The End of Humanity
Lorn- Subconscious Metamorphosis
Convulse- Evil Prevails
Pestilence- Obsideo
Nocturnal Graves- …from the Bloodline of Cain
Deicide- In the Minds of Evil

And which of these could possibly be worthy? Perhaps Summoning. Metal is a wasteland, and as such, wastes time, and for what? So we can say, "that was okay" and move on.

Now that is the kind of list you take an axe to with relish:

Birth A.D.- I Blame You
Imprecation- Satanae Tenebris Infinita
Lantern- Below **
Summoning- Old Morning’s Dawn
Zealotry- The Charnel Expanse *
Autopsy- The Headless Ritual *
Graveland- Thunderbolts of the Gods
Cóndor- Nadia
Ildjarn/Hate Forest- Those Once Mighty Fallen

* Not heard the full album; based on the recommendations of others.
** As above, but not a contender in my opinion.

Metal is a wasteland, but to answer for-what, to raise and praise the best. No one else will do it. I dont understand the defeatist attitude, the sweep of history is broad. Maybe there wont be any great metal again in our lifetimes even. So what? If I can convince one person towards quality metal that is enough. INTJ syndrome in action gets painful to listen to, like eavesdropping on revolutionaries. Add chill.