Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Call for best of 2013 Metal album opinions/nominations/suggestions

The Unholy Trinity:

1. Satan - Life Sentence
2. Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn
3. Imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita

No one else will do it.

This is the problem. Even Jeff A.D. is supporting some also-rans on his best-of list. The amount of crap that has been called "must listen to" this year is staggering.

I create music in opposition to this, but it won't be out for a while.

Leap into life here:

If you're in a band, have a label, distro, radio show, friends, etc. you're going to have people close to you in the industry.

They're going to put out some sub-standard stuff.

You have two choices:

1. Socially wrong, artistcally/realistically correct: don't mention it, don't support it, don't endorse it.
2. Socially correct, economically correct: put it on your best-of=nnnn list and tell people how great it is.

This is a real problem when they're your friends for several decades. You didn't like the latest, bro? -- none of us really want to say it sucks.

But something like that is what's required. Our society is just too immature for that. And people are too prole-ish to realize that lying about something means that a lack of faith arrangement is created which will lead to greater abandonment later.

Oh well.

DMU stays apart at great expense. We don't get social with people, and we try to be super-functional. To most it appears cold, unfeeling, perhaps Aspie-ish. But the fact is that it's the price of our freedom to say what we need to.

If we didn't exercise this option, and didn't have troubling views, we'd be famous and rich on the nu-popularity contest that is the internet. We choose being right instead.

The downside of this: we hate almost everything.

The upside: praise from us is worth 100x more than from any other site, hence the weird ability DMU has to be a kingmaker.

Over the last 20+ years, we've done a lot of good with this. (We = site founders + a changing cast of volunteers who do all the hard work.)

Am I ambivalent about this? Sometimes it makes me sad. I'd like to be friends with people in the underground more. But I'd just disappoint them so I stay away.

Are there other times I feel good about it? Most of the time. These end of year lists really bring it out, though; seeing writers who should know better listing their advertisers' crap output, fully knowing they'd never listen to it except at work, makes me feel better about keeping independence.

But one in a thousand people will understand why.

The Unholy Trinity:

1. Satan - Life Sentence

these are some of the best, I agree!

If anybody wants to upload of any of their favorites, don't let me stop you - Satan, Von, Ildjarn, wink wink nudge nudge saynomore
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Manzer - Light of the Wreckers

Black/thrash going on heavy metal, I'm not sure how to describe it concisely but it's great.

If anybody wants to upload of any of their favorites, don't let me stop you - Satan, Von, Ildjarn, wink wink nudge nudge saynomore

Is she a goer? Does she go? Eh?

The Satan album can be found on TPB. Not able to find the Von album yet but will report if it turns up.

Uploading recent releases could get the forum in trouble.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

*whistles nonchalantly*

http://www.bunalti.com/?p=269875

Von - Dark Gods...

The ones that stood out for me were Burzum and Satan.

Satan evokes alive the spirit of the past (NWOBHM) and crafts an album that persists while others fall. An album you can listen to from start to finish without getting bored like the classic albums of metal that moulded this art form.

Burzum makes an old-school album out of new ingredients. The athmosphere is chilling, dark but also relaxing, like the old Burzum sounds were but just with a new interface.

Other honorable acts:

Black Sabbath - 13
Summoning - Old Morning's Dawn

With Burzum I hoped more for 'Tomhet' -styled compositions of an exquisite hypnotic character.

Graveland sounded pretty damn good actually. Still got those Vlad Tepes sounding riffs.

Profanatica and VON is music that should be direct but isn't. I'm just not getting it.

Summoning have produced their best work since Dol Guldur.

The Unholy Trinity:

1. Satan - Life Sentence

Those are the non-surprises from the forthcoming DMU list.

It's clear what will NOT be on it:

Immolation - Majesty and Coprophagia

Beyond - Fatal Power of Deathy Fatal Death

No releases this year held my attention after one or two listens. 2013 was rather boring.
Meh

The upside: praise from us is worth 100,000x more than from any other site, hence the weird ability DMU has to be a kingmaker.

Too true. Never lose this Brett or we will find you.