Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Call for best of 2013 Metal album opinions/nominations/suggestions

The upside: praise from us is worth 100,000x more than from any other site, hence the weird ability DMU has to be a kingmaker.

Too true. Never lose this Brett or we will find you.
The more there is of something the less it is worth, the less there is of something the more it is worth.  Ironclad law of value.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

Why does Satan - Life Sentence meet the approval of anyone here? By that I mean, since when is verse-chorus song structure excusable, let alone worthy of praise? I just listened to this album and I found the rigidity of structure unappealing and condemnable.
There are only two paths - the mind or the sword
And the mind was open like the sights in a dream
But the sword was like a stone around my neck

Why does Satan - Life Sentence meet the approval of anyone here? By that I mean, since when is verse-chorus song structure excusable, let alone worthy of praise? I just listened to this album and I found the rigidity of structure unappealing and condemnable.

I think this site is often misunderstood by the short-sightedness of other people.  deathmetal.org has never had anything against verse-chorus structure IN PARTICULAR (attention, please).  In the instances in which verse-chorus structure has been damned in here is when it is a further simplification of an already-void music.  Sometimes the grandeur of a band lied in its structural development, so when they turn to verse-chorus structure, this is lost.  If you read more reviews in this website (particularly the BM and Grindcore ones, being more minimalistic) you will find albums being praised which have verse-chorus structure.

Satan uses strict verse-chorus structure and adheres to other conventions they choose and  I think they produce a coherent album in a consistent style in which they express themselves excellently.

Rudra also released an album this year. Has anyone heard it?

I think this site is often misunderstood by the short-sightedness of other people.  deathmetal.org has never had anything against verse-chorus structure IN PARTICULAR (attention, please).  In the instances in which verse-chorus structure has been damned in here is when it is a further simplification of an already-void music.  Sometimes the grandeur of a band lied in its structural development, so when they turn to verse-chorus structure, this is lost.  If you read more reviews in this website (particularly the BM and Grindcore ones, being more minimalistic) you will find albums being praised which have verse-chorus structure.

Fair enough, I understand. However...

Satan uses strict verse-chorus structure and adheres to other conventions they choose and  I think they produce a coherent album in a consistent style in which they express themselves excellently.

Regardless of any other aspect of the music, the verse-chorus song structures ruin the experience for me. I mean...why does anyone do this? If they can write cool riffs then I hold them up to the standard that they can deviate from the most basic song structure, but I think that all ten songs were exactly the same in this aspect. Riffs mean nothing to me when they are packaged and organized this way. The music becomes entertainment, not art. I demand more!

Regarding fenrir's last post: As I read the archived reviews here at DMU, I did notice that albums were judged as a whole based on their continuity and coherence. Most album reviews are done on a song-by-song basis but you'll notice that none of the reviews on DMU mention that you should probably skip such and such a song, or that these few tracks are mostly filler, or that there is a standout song that you'll want to hear over and over... No, they insist that the album is the art form, and songs are constituents. When you consider it that way, it makes perfect sense to use verses and refrains and cadenzas to structure all of the songs, because after all, they are only about 3-to-5 minutes long, and that is not a lot of time to introduce and develop themes and variations.

Am I getting this about right?

Two quick arguments:

[1] Genre is important. NWOBHM lives by different standards than "speed metal proper" starting with (really) the second Metallica album. Verse-chorus and some rock-based stuff is normal here, so it doesn't make sense to impose outside-genre standards within the genre.

[2] We shouldn't formalize our methods to the point where they become calcified. It's obvious that song development moves up an index of stylistic technique toward the classical standard, and drops back a little but gets headier with modernist classical; however, sometimes two good riffs and a clear evocative message go a long way.

Two quick arguments:

[1] Genre is important. NWOBHM lives by different standards than "speed metal proper" starting with (really) the second Metallica album. Verse-chorus and some rock-based stuff is normal here, so it doesn't make sense to impose outside-genre standards within the genre.

Normalcy does not exclude the idea in question from criticism.

[2] We shouldn't formalize our methods to the point where they become calcified. It's obvious that song development moves up an index of stylistic technique toward the classical standard, and drops back a little but gets headier with modernist classical; however, sometimes two good riffs and a clear evocative message go a long way.

I am conflicted about this topic. I cannot find a justification for this level of lack of creativity. What was the artist's purpose in choosing verse-chorus structure for every song? Was there a goal, did it accomplish something or enrich the songs or album? Am I missing the point?

I do believe you are Tree, otherwise how can you let go and appreciate the very essence, the difficult to express (except in poetic platitude) core of the music? Folk melodies (not modern folk music) and songs are simple affairs, but they touch deeply, their art remains intact despite their simplicity. Satan is the folk music of the british isles.

I have always feared the emphasis put here on classical music for this reason. A systemizing approach is the death of both art and the appreciation of art. This is different from analysis, which is a useful tool.

I do believe you are Tree, otherwise how can you let go and appreciate the very essence, the difficult to express (except in poetic platitude) core of the music? Folk melodies (not modern folk music) and songs are simple affairs, but they touch deeply, their art remains intact despite their simplicity. Satan is the folk music of the british isles.

I greatly appreciate the art of song, I do. Verses and refrains are great! Nonetheless, I do not see why they did not vary the song structures even slightly throughout the album. There is more than one way to write a song! I guess that one framework was more than enough for them to express themselves...? Bah, their extremity bothers me though >:( And I am not just picking on Satan, I am irked when other bands do this too.

The thesis in your last sentence interests me, but evades me.

I have always feared the emphasis put here on classical music for this reason. A systemizing approach is the death of both art and the appreciation of art. This is different from analysis, which is a useful tool.

I am not trying to systematize my approach. Verse-chorus structure is not inherently bad. The judgement is conditional, it depends on the nature of the music and what the artist wishes to express. I do start to question bands when it appears that they can ONLY write in one strict format, however.

Fair enough mate, I was mostly just whining :D