Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Even more Sadistic Metal Reviews?

Even more Sadistic Metal Reviews?
December 11, 2013, 01:00:54 AM
Testament - For 20+ years, this band has survived by parasitically leeching the last dregs of credibility from dying subgenres.  When Testament makes an album in a given style, you know it is over.

Truly sadistic review deals with entire discographies. Some bands don't deserve anything better. But then, fun might be way too short. I believe that is why Deathmetal.org reviews Satyricon's album one by one. I'll give it a try however.

Satyricon - semi-relevant years (1992 - 1996)

To put it in one sentence: something is played and it's mainly black metal. While nothing is gained here, the time is lost. There's no sense in writing about how it supposedly goes nowhere (because often that might not be the case) or how it even fakes its intent to say something meaningful. Every other band at the time had some ambition and took their freedom to define styles within genre. Even if there were vast differences in artistic abilities and even some misunderstandings, you could take anything from Burzum to Gehenna and still hear different approach. But Satyricon starts already as an imitation. This music is as hollow as look on Satyr's face. It is hard to experience anything other than boredom here. Satyricon serve as an example, that nailing the blueprint of black metal, either with cynical or honest intents, is a short sightedness and too "intellectual" creation of orthodoxy turns out insufficient despite dramatic attempts to create interesting interactions between riffs.

Re: Even more Sadistic Metal Reviews?
December 11, 2013, 02:08:47 AM
I hate Satyricon. It is the black metal form of video game music.

December 11, 2013, 02:17:37 AM
I remember hearing Nemesis Divina divina once, moved on and never looked back.

December 11, 2013, 05:24:16 AM
That is a really good Satyricon summary, gets to the ultimate point.

December 11, 2013, 10:41:40 PM
Why is everyone so focused on Satyricon? They never were relevant even the mainstream audience probably knows it. Stop bashing them and leave them be and concentrate on more turd bands like Ghost and every other hipster metal band media hypes too much.

December 11, 2013, 11:18:48 PM
I hate Satyricon. It is the black metal form of video game music.

Come on man, that's disparaging to video game music.

The music in Fallout is way better than anything Satyricon could compose.  ;D

December 12, 2013, 01:18:53 AM
Why is everyone so focused on Satyricon?

The reason is in the first post, they are an excellent example of not quite there = total failure. Out and out normed hipster bands dont matter because the most ordinary metalhead will understand the issue with them. This is the first Satyricon post on the forums in a while though.