Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Imposition - Memento Mori (DM.org user composition)

And so, it became time for me to manifest something tangible in the black metal spirit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIx_Liv0zL8

http://www.deathmetal.org/forum/index.php/topic,17975.0.html (all 4 tracks, on depositfiles)

I have been working hard on this 4 track demo for some months, and filtered through my abilities on guitar (which is not my usual instrument), and home recording capabilities, this is my first attempt to meld cold minimalism and ambiance with an element of structure and grandeur.

Perhaps you will like it,

Please lend me your feedback at any rate.

Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/Impositionbm

So far I can only say good things. I'd love to hear the rest of the EP.

The guitar leads are outstanding!

Main detraction; I hate drum tracking programs. Most anyone (except the severely crippled) can learn to play drums sufficiently to record their own music, or at least get some dime-a-dozen drummer to sit in for a couple sessions and pound out what you want. Even paying someone who has no clue about black metal will render a sound not as soulless as digital samples. This is why I don't listen to Ildjarn; great music, shit sounding drums.

I know its the sound you referred to dead last but just in case you didnt know, Ildjarn uses real drums. The mechanical sound is the one that he wanted.

I'd be interested in hearing the project move away from metal towards ambient. The last track is intriguing.

I know its the sound you referred to dead last but just in case you didnt know, Ildjarn uses real drums. The mechanical sound is the one that he wanted.

Even on the Nidhogg album? I've been listening to that a bit over the last few weeks and the drums sound very much like samples all the way through. Considering the micing/mixing of the guitars and vocals, they should sound much dirtier and fuzzier if they were live acoustic drums being played.

The Ildjarn-Nidhogg releases have a somewhat fuller sound, but that's just because we used a drum machine for those releases. All Ildjarn releases are pure drums, played by me.

http://www.mirgilus.com/interviews/ildjarn.html

So far I can only say good things. I'd love to hear the rest of the EP.

Cheers! The second link I posted above has a link to the full thing.

I'd be interested in hearing the project move away from metal towards ambient. The last track is intriguing.

Thanks for listening. Do you mean 'noumenon'? Or the last proper track (which itself has more keyboards/ambiance than the other 3)?

I listened to the first track a couple days ago. I was kind of floored, thought it sounded really good. Looking forward to listening to the rest of the demo.

I like this EP a LOT. The ambient track aside, this material is full of potential where it's not already excellent. I'd especially like to hear the ideas in 'Seppuku' developed (quite) a bit further. It's really just the first half of a song. WHERE THE HELL WILL IT LEAD?

Thanks for listening. Do you mean 'noumenon'? Or the last proper track (which itself has more keyboards/ambiance than the other 3)?

Noumenon. The metal tracks were fine, but nothing that hasn't been done before. I found myself looking forward to the synth elements within them more than the riffs. Noumenon is interesting in that it retains metal instrumentation but the production is so distant that the structure of the song is nearly destroyed. If that was complimented with synth/noise, but extended to a more narrative form, it'd be intriguing. (I'm thinking of something like Burzum's Decrepitude tracks or Beherit's ritualistic tracks for reference)

Listening to Noumenon, I imagined there were several songs played simultaneously, their respective melodic values cancelling each other out so that melody can hardly be perceived. I see how it's supposed to tie the EP together, but that feels kind of forced. This song made me want to listen to Den Onde Kysten...

I listened to the first track a couple days ago. I was kind of floored, thought it sounded really good. Looking forward to listening to the rest of the demo.

Thanks.

Listening to Noumenon, I imagined there were several songs played simultaneously, their respective melodic values cancelling each other out so that melody can hardly be perceived. I see how it's supposed to tie the EP together, but that feels kind of forced. This song made me want to listen to Den Onde Kysten...

I understand your reaction. It was a more abstract idea than the other tracks, to put at the end. A little experiment. Noumenon: i.e. the thing(demo!)-in-itself, a disorganized conglomerate of all the tracks - to be contrasted with the tracks just heard, as they were via the normal categories of perception (space, time etc...). I had 5-6 minute, dark ambient track that I was going to include, but then decided against it. Thanks for the comments.

Noumenon. The metal tracks were fine, but nothing that hasn't been done before. I found myself looking forward to the synth elements within them more than the riffs. Noumenon is interesting in that it retains metal instrumentation but the production is so distant that the structure of the song is nearly destroyed. If that was complimented with synth/noise, but extended to a more narrative form, it'd be intriguing. (I'm thinking of something like Burzum's Decrepitude tracks or Beherit's ritualistic tracks for reference)

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'm more interested in developing a more concrete take on black metal though.

You really think there was nothing at all original in the metal tracks that could be pursued? There was a conscious attempt at culmination/achievement of an 'end point', despite the 'punkiness' of the individual riffs (short, repetitive) within each song.

As far as moving forward, I want to make longer riffs, and also have more riff evolution within sections next time around.

You really think there was nothing at all original in the metal tracks that could be pursued? There was a conscious attempt at culmination/achievement of an 'end point', despite the 'punkiness' of the individual riffs (short, repetitive) within each song.

It seemed like a result of someone who aesthetically and intellectually understands black metal, but isn't able to convey the full "spirit" of what is trying to be expressed. There wasn't anything within it to differentiate itself [when compared to the relevant black metal bands, if compared to contemporary bands it'd be far more favorable] except perhaps the solos, which did fit within the song far better than most bands do; however I'm in the camp that "acrobatic" solos have no place being anywhere near black metal.

My personal taste would be to delete the solos, get a guitar tone that doesn't sound like midi, and improve the vocals [more like Demoncy, less like Marduk]. 

I disagree with Wild regarding the solos. Keep them, they are not show-offy or acrobatic. Not outrageous or out-of-place at all, compared to the solos of Emperor or Immortal. I think they add much to the song. You have a good feel for lead playing; flex those muscles, exercise that creativity, make it even better.