Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Case Studies of Metal Art

Case Studies of Metal Art
December 17, 2013, 08:27:05 PM
Deströyer 666 - "Tyranny of the Inevitable"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeyTWcCQ5S8

This song captivated me. I increasingly realized the intelligence of its craftsmanship as I listened to it more, so I decided to study it a bit. The storytelling ability on display here is excellent. This is just a very rough skeleton of observations, first draft kind of material. Maybe a worthless exercise, but maybe not. Inspired by this thread.

Basic structure: A   B   A   B   C   D   C   B   A

0:00 - 0:45

A precursor to the first theme fades into the speakers, played on acoustic guitar and then on electric guitar. This exposition sets the mood for the piece and gently glides the listener into the story. The descending bass melody occurring at 0:27 indicates that the narrator reflects on the event that he describes in the first verse.

0:45 - 1:04

After developing in the exposition, Theme A takes its fully fleshed form. In a raspy voice, the narrator speaks:

"I remember just last night
We drunk and we fucked whores
And I remember some prayed to their gods
For they knew that tomorrow we marched into Hell"

1:04 - 1:22

The second theme (Theme B) abruptly enters with the word "Hell," contrasting the first with its intimidating marching rhythms. The guitars first play constantly and then sustained notes intersperse the riff, allowing for absorption and introspection after the initial exposure to this dread.

1:22 - 2:27

Theme A reappears and the narration continues, this time clearly affected by Theme B. This is reflected in the lyrics, and also in the guitar leads that light up as energy in response to the looming terror.

“Death you have followed me, followed me all these years
Kept the noose about my neck and prayed upon my fears”
Then came the flames"

First the energy is ordered, a fear of "the noose about my neck," but then it becomes chaotic as "then came the flames" initiates a guitar solo at 1:57. Energy surges and conviction is reached as Theme B returns.

2:27 - 2:45

Theme B's second appearance, identical to the first. The listener, no longer surprised, accepts the trepidation that it creates and anticipates what comes next.

2:45 - 3:20

Theme C. The battle, to which the narrator has alluded, begins. Haunting guitar leads echo the unsettling sustained notes of the guitars, which lead into tremolo picked variations of the same two-chord progression. The first chord decays into the second, indicating that a climax has occurred and now there is a descent, a dramatic follow-through to the clash initiated. Drum intensity also increases as this riff develops.

3:20 - 3:46

Theme D. Amidst the chaos, thoughts rush through the head of the narrator. Tom drums beat loudly as his convictions rage strongly and wildly within him and his body wreaks havoc without.

"A man of the cloth came to pray for me
Telling me tales of salvation
To curse my death with morality
And tell his lies of redemption
But our spirit dies in mothers tears
And in our brothers heart
And maybe women will tell tales of our lust
As we fall into blood and dust
Who’ll stand at the edge of my grave
When thy cold winter calls
Who’ll stand at the edge of my grave
Who’ll weather this storm"

3:46 - 4:14

Theme C reappears with previously unseen intensity identified by the double bass drum as the narrator's energy overflows and he rages in absolute defiance of all that stands against him.

"I stand alone
I stand alone"

4:14 - 4:32

The final manifestation of Theme B begins with a bang as the narrator is struck down. The "Hell" of battle (as stated earlier) reappears, claiming him as a victim. The marching rhythm merges with the battle spirit of the narrator; for the first time his voice is audible over this motif. This theme is familiar now and what previously terrorized the narrator internally has ultimately destroyed him as was foreshadowed.

"Death is a curse that has followed me
Death is a curse that has followed me…"

4:32 - 5:18

Theme A's glorious final manifestation in the wake of war majestically soars and develops for the remainder of the song; the narrator, struck down, begins to reflect.

"The tyranny of the inevitable
Stands upon us like the cross on our graves
A curse of the living on death
Not something to fear but transgress
For whom the bell tolls indeed
The bells toll for me"

5:18 - 5:36

Theme A continues as a guitar solo flies furiously.

"Then came the flames"

5:36 - 7:00

A new bass riff underscores Theme A's continuation, mirroring the narrator's epiphanic deathbed thoughts that support his convictions from earlier in the song. New guitar leads and synthesizers serenade the fallen warrior's final bursts of energy and heroic fire. With his final utterance, the narrator dies and the song ends abruptly.

"Now I’ve come to see it’s not real
In a world where beliefs are diseased
Now I see clearly the sky above
And I can’t see your God and your alone
For whom the bells toll indeed
The bells toll for me"

"For whom the bells toll indeed
The bells toll for me"
There are only two paths - the mind or the sword
And the mind was open like the sights in a dream
But the sword was like a stone around my neck

NHA