Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

So, there is black 'n' roll too, eh?

So, there is black 'n' roll too, eh?
December 17, 2013, 09:26:48 PM
Quote from the article: 2011 in Review: The Year in Black ‘n’ Roll

Before we proceed, however, just what is black ‘n’ roll? The answer that first comes to my mind would be some of the more commercially viable offshoots of black metal, which add a ’70s-style glam rock influence (looking squarely at Satyricon here). However, upon closer examination, this is not what I actively consider to be black ‘n’ roll. When I think of the term, I don’t picture gaunt, leather-clad figures with stringy hair rasping about decadence and Satanism. I’d prefer to picture Motörhead on steroids: big hairy men playing big hairy music, with a dose of alcoholism thrown in for good measure. Black ‘n’ roll bands are clearly influenced by first-wave black metal (Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer, Show No Mercy-era Slayer… you get the idea), but are unafraid to add other influences from similarly unpretentious genres to make their music tougher and meaner. Old-school punk, speed metal, ’90s crust, and thrash metal all get thrown into the mix to obtain the roughest sound possible. Despite their differing degrees of influences, these guys, like the best biker gang, have enough of a unity of sound and attitude to be considered a trend: the music by and large sounds like a first-wave black metal band recorded in a second-rate studio around 1984 (only low production values are real).

Damn, in what other way are they going to keep butchering metal?

Re: So, there is black 'n' roll too, eh?
December 18, 2013, 11:28:55 AM
Every way you can imagine. Personally I am waiting for black rap metal. Minor tremolo hip hop melodies is the shit baby, dat new Kanye has potential.

December 18, 2013, 12:28:40 PM
Satyricon is basically cold and dark hard rock, but their fans don't assume this. -.-

December 18, 2013, 12:33:46 PM
Every way you can imagine. Personally I am waiting for black rap metal. Minor tremolo hip hop melodies is the shit baby, dat new Kanye has potential.

Some horrorcore bands can be (for now) the most approach to this. Is more like nu-metal imagery, and (repetitive) satanic/violent lyrics in rap songs, but black metal with in rap structures I don't know any.

Phew...

December 18, 2013, 03:17:47 PM

http://youtu.be/besaeC0ZpX8

December 18, 2013, 03:34:13 PM

Roundabouts 3-4 years ago a guy approached me asking if I wanted to do a black metal cover of Wu Tang's C.R.E.A.M. I never did, but looking back on it now, that isn't the worst idea in comparison to the crap that could be. At least WuTang had some balls behind it. Not so much can be said from wigger shit.

December 18, 2013, 10:56:27 PM

http://youtu.be/besaeC0ZpX8

Man, I was just about to post this band, haha.

Ice-T has stated before his inspiration for Body Count came from early hardcore punk bands (I remember he mentioned Minor Threat and Black Flag specifically). He wanted to create a project analogous to those but from an urban black person's perspective. I think his intentions were honest but the music is pretty blah.

Black metal and hip hop have absolutely nothing to do with each other, however. Any combination of the styles will ultimately result in failure, no matter how 'diverse' it is. It's a pretty terrible idea.

36 Chambers sounds just the way it should; same with Pure Holocaust. Leave them be.

December 19, 2013, 08:17:12 AM
Ten Masked Men did a brutal death metal cover of Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise" but that's about the closest you'll get. That horrorcore shit is utter nonsense, one step away from Juggalo rap