Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Power Metal

Re: Power Metal
February 08, 2014, 05:26:15 AM
Bruce Dickinson's late 90s solo work is worth a mention - most of his solo albums are mediocre, but the two with Adrian Smith (Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding) are fucking brilliant. I actually like them better than any Iron Maiden albums. See what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxqQT3UvXkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgP1zyI0E6w
-l-

February 11, 2014, 04:23:39 AM
I'm still really liking Aldramelch - Irae Melanox. Is there anything that even closely resembles this band or the style of the album? Anyone try to clone them or anyone they were trying to clone?

February 13, 2014, 08:15:31 PM
Nothing quite like it I am afraid mate. Some people tell me Fates Warning is a little similar, and a metal-archives review seems to say the same thing, but I cant confirm. Also, I doubt it, but that is just intuition.

Thoughts on Stratovarius? The neoclassical zine review made me check it out and I ended up enjoying it, what are their major (valuable) albums?

Also the demo linked in the first post by Final Prophecy is excellent!

February 14, 2014, 02:14:53 AM
Stratovarius is pretty decent.  There is a wide variety of opinions on what is their best but my pick from them would certainly be Visions.

February 16, 2014, 05:38:52 PM
Blind Guardian - "Somewhere Far Beyond"

Man... is this supposed to be their best album? Its... difficult for me to tolerate, though there are a lot of delicious moments. Lost Horizon is better, much better.

February 16, 2014, 10:12:55 PM
One year after having released this album hit my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKNIHaBCkcw

Omen - Battle Cry (Teeth of the Hydra compilation)
Savage Grace - Master of Disguise
Nasty Savage - Nasty Savage
more heavy, Loudness - Hurricane Eyes.

ooops...german Stormwitch - two first albums.

(Adramelch is boring..thx anyway).

February 16, 2014, 11:54:18 PM
I hate Savatage after having had the misfortune to listen to The Wake of Magellan, the gayest metal album I have ever heard: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1TMhUxEgY

February 17, 2014, 05:16:30 AM
Frequently I ask the question, where were the Germans when death metal and black metal exploded?

Answer: inventing power metal, which was basically speed metal re-factored with Iron Maiden and a few other epic metal acts.

Final Prophecy - "Beyond Reality" demo 1988

Right here ... http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/atrocity/

February 17, 2014, 04:36:19 PM
I hate Savatage after having had the misfortune to listen to The Wake of Magellan, the gayest metal album I have ever heard: www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k1TMhUxEgY

That album is balls, Hall oft he Mountain King is cheesy but solid - the old guitarist who wrote all their good music died in 1993 hence the drop in quality. They eventually turned into Trans Siberian Orchestra, that ridiculous "Christmas rock band"
-l-

February 19, 2014, 12:05:58 AM
Blind Guardian - "Somewhere Far Beyond"

Man... is this supposed to be their best album? Its... difficult for me to tolerate, though there are a lot of delicious moments. Lost Horizon is better, much better.

I thought Nightfall in Middle-Earth was largely considered to be their best.

Anyway, I feel the same way. It's goofy as all hell, I kind of enjoy it, but then they go and do something to make me feel embarassed about having enjoyed it.

February 19, 2014, 09:20:51 PM
Seriously... that is exactly it. One moment I am thinking hey, this isnt bad at all, the next, hey this is pretty good! Then the refrain.... Also not keen on the lyrics, though even there ups and downs are noticeable. I suppose Nightfall in Middle Earth would be better as far as lyrics are concerned. aquarius have you heard Lost Horizon? It consists of the members of Luciferion and despite being in the vein of ultra-positive fantastical cheese metal it takes more cues from older heavy metal/nwobhm than the manic speed metal that tends to annoy. Check out Awakening the World (sample).

February 20, 2014, 12:05:24 AM
I did check them out briefly after reading the DMU article on Power Metal. Will have to do some more investigating.

Anyone familiar with Rhapsody? A popular band from Italy that plays in the style of Blind Guardian? Seems equally as goofy but some tracks sounded alright.

February 20, 2014, 12:59:54 AM
Anyone familiar with Rhapsody? A popular band from Italy that plays in the style of Blind Guardian? Seems equally as goofy but some tracks sounded alright.

I'm pretty familiar with their music and history.

I think they took what Blind Guardian was attempting to do and what Helloween was half-assing and they took it all the way, embraced it as having a special, transcendent meaning and produced the most involving music in the genre.
Rhapsody is the to-go epic Power Metal band.  Nothing here is for the sake of pretentiousness (all elements are a contribution to the whole) and I know no other band that achieves the intensity and 'real' feeling in their fantasy atmosphere. But that's just my opinion.
I recommend going through their first 5 albums which work as 5 chapters to a fantastic story written by their guitarist.  A silly, naive story on the level of pulp fantasy ala Conan imbued with Tolkien cliches.  Nothing intellectual, but the whole product is well-done.

Also, do not listen to "tracks". Listen to the whole album.  They're supposed to be stories. Not random catchy songs.

"Keep away (monsters of hell)" if you cannot stand power metal fantasy cheese at all.  The thing with Rhapsody, though, is that they do not sound like  a joke. This is pulled off really professionally, unlike most bands in this subgenre.

To be honest, I cannot stand listening to them more than once every few months now, though.  I guess I've grown out of it. But I still respect their good songwriting, effective vision and realization of this musical project.

February 20, 2014, 07:40:14 PM
aquarius have you heard Lost Horizon? It consists of the members of Luciferion and despite being in the vein of ultra-positive fantastical cheese metal it takes more cues from older heavy metal/nwobhm than the manic speed metal that tends to annoy. Check out Awakening the World (sample).

The song that you linked kicked my ass so hard that I listened to the whole album. Definitely some of the most enjoyable power metal to which I have listened. However, it was almost too much in a sense, similar to grindcore being so fast and funeral doom so slow that extended exposure becomes exhausting. Then again, evening was probably not the correct time of day to listen to testosterone-pumping music like this!
There are only two paths - the mind or the sword
And the mind was open like the sights in a dream
But the sword was like a stone around my neck

February 21, 2014, 12:13:41 AM
Thanks a lot fenrir! I've been listening mainly to their first two albums and am rather enjoying it. Never thought I'd be so enthusiastic for choruses that's for sure. Today, Lost Horizon gets my full attention.