Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Hipsters deny being hipsters three times before morning light

“Hipster” is a word I almost never use, mainly because I’m not sure what it means. I do know that it’s a disparaging, belittling, derogatory label of some kind. As used in the metal community, maybe it’s supposed to mean “not true metal” or “not good metal”. But the sense I get is that it’s used most often to mean “metal that people who aren’t metal heads like” — and apparently, the more non-metalheads who like a metal album, the worse it must be.

I definitely get the sense that Deafheaven have been victimized by that latter situation. The album is showing up on all sorts of year-end lists at big entertainment web sites, often mixed together with music from other genres such as indie and hip-hop. For some people, that seems to be enough to brand Deafheaven’s music “hipster metal”. I suspect something similar has happened to Ghost BC (I even wrote about the phenomenon here). This bothers me.

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2013/12/17/hipster/

It isn't by way of social standards that music is determined to be metal or not metal. Wouldn't a hipster come to a social standards conclusion? They use that in a vain attempt to deny the existence of any standards that are not subject to people preferences.

Physical laws are not determined by people, only revealed to the rest of us by the more astute among us. Ditto for good art work. The butthurt oversocialized and underconfident can't deal with such a cold, impersonal reality so they frame all of the arguments where people are involved to any extent in social terms, creating fallacious attributions and erroneous causal relations which result in bogus conclusions.

Hipsterism is another form of mental illness; a cognitive disorder encapsulating an emotional disorder at its core. They ought to know better and thus behave accordingly but they can't.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

^ Penetrating observation. Best penetration I've experienced in a long time. I have no comment beyond supporting this definition. People will bitch out when trying to define a hipster by claiming it has to do with music or entertainment. But really, it's a personality disorder.

Best penetration I've experienced in a long time.

What's the matter, dating game not giving you any results? Try changing up your clothing style, hunk.

/queer

On topic, I do feel that sometimes the word is thrown around a bit haphazardly, but 'hipster' is still something that any human being with a soul should strive to stay away from.

Scourge, your musings and observations are always astute. I had never even thought about hipsters that way. A personality disorder really seems to make sense.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

Like layers of a bad onion we see the personality disorder as the outermost peelings. Scratch off a layer and there is a cognitive disorder of stupid premises and wrong conclusions operating as a justifications interface medium. Beneath that at last is a pathetic emotional disorder in the squishy onion core causing it all.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Like layers of a bad onion we see the personality disorder as the outermost peelings. Scratch off a layer and there is a cognitive disorder of stupid premises and wrong conclusions operating as a justifications interface medium. Beneath that at last is a pathetic emotional disorder in the squishy onion core causing it all.

Agreed; to further prove your point, have you ever noticed how nearly every hipster you will ever see is in terrible physical shape regardless of age? Their image-based lifestyle clearly doesn't extend to their own physical bodies.
-l-