Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Obscura vrs From Wisdom to Hate

Re: Obscura vrs From Wisdom to Hate
December 27, 2013, 05:28:02 PM
All I can say to this is Nay. From Wisdom... does not compare to Obscura. Yes, it is more subtle than it initially appears. Yes, it shows some refinement (that obviously comes with age and practice). But muscially? Conceptually? Need bitterman to explain this, he wrote some great stuff about Obscura somewhere that I will try and find (though I will probably fail :( ).

Obscura is not overextended, Obscura is not filled with fireworks or whatever. Just under its dissonance is the very same (beautiful) voice that was on Erosion of Sanity, only slightly matured and extended. Obscura is not merely an experiment, it is fully realized and FWth is the compromise that followed when they probably (rightfully) guessed that they could never top it. I am quite surprised to see this opinion expressed here. Perhaps I am wrong and need to give the later album more time, though I do enjoy it quite a bit and listen to it on occasion, but Obscura I could listen to every day.

I dont intend to argue the superiority of Obscura, but I would like to see input from some more of us. This is quite a claim.

Edit: Perhaps I can summarize; everything I have found on FWth is in Obscura, only less so in the former album. I use this word a lot, but it is very appropriate for that album I think... Normed. From Wisdom is Obscura normed. Do give it more time, please.

I was going to say, FWTH is Obscura filtered through colloquialisms so it becomes more immediate to grab but less intriguing on the long run. FWTH feels like a collection of songs rather than an unfolding concept like Obscura.

December 27, 2013, 10:06:28 PM
Maturity is seldom an attribute that benefits metal music.

From Wisdom To Hate is a boring, unchallenging, pedestrian album.

The band "played it safe," "toned it down," whatever cliche you want to use, when writing this album.

The absence of Steeve Hurdle probably hurt the record's creativity, as well.

December 27, 2013, 11:43:13 PM
I probably actually prefer Erosion of Sanity to From Wisdom to Hate. Maybe I need to listen to it more. It's pretty obvious that Obscura is their peak though.

December 28, 2013, 05:52:03 PM
I agree on the trascendental and organic aspect of Obscura making it more superior. But I can see that few see can appreciate the worth of FWtH.
It is not merely a "collection of songs" versus an "unfolding concept".  Obscura is disorganized and messy.  That is ok because it has so many new and unexpected ideas (yet they are consistent in style and thought) that it is like an esoteric text which you can interpret with experience.  BUT FWtH is excellently composed, it has beautifully crafted, long, phrasal riffs which develop seemlessly.  Obscura is more about contrasts versus the flow of FWtH. It is far more subtle, and this is what most people do not catch about it.

I appreciate Obscura as their greatest contribution but I think most people appreciate it for the wrong reasons and at the same time are unable to look at the great worth of FWtH.