Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Windir (great viking metal!)

Windir (great viking metal!)
October 14, 2004, 08:48:49 PM
Just started listening to this Viking metal band from Norway and for those into great Viking metal I highly recommend it, it's called Windir.  Can't really compare it to anything as they don't sound like another band.  It's got some great ambience, great melody and a great Norwegian folk rhythm in my opinion.  

The band just recently disbanded because last January the founding member Valfar froze to death in the Norwegian mountains (I wouldn't mind going out that way actually).

Home page:

http://www.windir.no/default.aspx?p=news&lang=engelsk

songs:

http://www.windir.no/default.aspx?p=sound&lang=engelsk

Re: Windir (great viking metal!)
October 14, 2004, 09:11:28 PM
I'm unsure if a post like this should go into the news section.  Or does it even matter?

October 15, 2004, 09:50:01 AM
Yeah, they're an excellent band, not something you'd expect from the generally pathetic 'viking metal' genre.

Annihilaytorr

October 16, 2004, 03:22:11 PM

Falkenbach has the integrity this band does not.

October 16, 2004, 08:17:53 PM
Windir's creations are certainly fit to rival great bands like Falkenbach, and this is far more important than what they list as their influences in interviews and other such irrelevant crap.

October 17, 2004, 05:38:15 AM
Windir's creations are certainly fit to rival great bands like Falkenbach, and this is far more important than what they list as their influences in interviews and other such irrelevant crap.

I would ultimately agree and if you saw the posting I did inside the ANUS forms on this band then you'd see the conclusion I reached.  

The founder of the band on a personal level seemed to lack integrity but the music dosen't show that.  Whatever came out when he wrote music was somthing of a completly different emotion I would presume...and that's what I judge it by.

October 17, 2004, 08:32:42 PM
I think Falkenbach pretty much bites.  Maybe I shouldn't comment because I haven't heard that much of their/his stuff, but then again, I don't really want to listen to any more of it.

I'm really wary of MUSIC = IDEOLOGY talk; pretty soon people's ability to rationalize what makes music good can't keep up with their taste and common sense and they end up praising blah bands that wave the right flags.

October 18, 2004, 07:38:58 AM
Nah, in my case I think Falkenbach's best stuff is an excellent representation of what BM stands for.

Annihilaytorr

October 18, 2004, 02:38:21 PM
Mithotyn would also be a worthy band to explore if you like Folk/Viking Black Metal. They are certainly better then alot of the other nonsense billed as Viking metal.

October 18, 2004, 07:22:57 PM
Mithotyn would also be a worthy band to explore if you like Folk/Viking Black Metal. They are certainly better then alot of the other nonsense billed as Viking metal.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out.  I like folk music so I do gravitate towards some viking metal bands but as a whole I'm very disapointed with them.  They always seem to sound very cheap and empty to me.  It's rare that I find one that actually sticks with me, but when I do find one that sticks it's great.

Have you heard any Wyrd or Kampfar?  Those two are bands I just stumbled upon that have raised a bit of interest in me, specifically Wyrd.  I'm trying to see if there is any unheard of stuff that I can find that is epic.  

October 18, 2004, 07:52:33 PM
Never cared for Falkenbach, but I'm a fan of Windir. Good stuff.

October 18, 2004, 08:42:13 PM
I have not heard any Falkenbach, so can't really speak about them.

I found Windir to be mostly boring... the odd song has a catchy riff or too, but I found myself quickly disinterested.

The Mithotyn stuff I've heard sounds more interesting than Windir, however, I have not heard that much.  A few of them did a side project called "The Choir of Vengeance", basically them doing raw BM. It's pretty bland.

October 19, 2004, 02:47:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out.  I like folk music so I do gravitate towards some viking metal bands but as a whole I'm very disapointed with them.  They always seem to sound very cheap and empty to me.  It's rare that I find one that actually sticks with me, but when I do find one that sticks it's great.

Have you heard any Wyrd or Kampfar?  Those two are bands I just stumbled upon that have raised a bit of interest in me, specifically Wyrd.  I'm trying to see if there is any unheard of stuff that I can find that is epic.  

i like the latest wyrd. good background music.

concerning windir, i think phantasm's words on hollow viking metal describe them very good. it's entertainment music, funny when hiking (like windham hell for climbing).

October 19, 2004, 11:10:04 AM
"Heathen" is cool by Wyrd.

Annihilaytorr

October 19, 2004, 05:00:07 PM
Hollow, exactly. So far Einherjer, Thyrfing, and others similar to this rub me this way. They do have a catchy riff or melody at times but thus far I have been unable to sustain an interest to listen to them very long.