Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Correlation is not causation

Correlation is not causation
December 27, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
We accuse God/Satan (one and the same, really) of being a blind idiot, but we are the blind idiots:

Breastfeeding is known as an effective way of boosting a child's educational performance within their first few months in school. The study claims that these children showed better academic performance by the time they were five years old compared to their classmates who were fed with formula. The researchers involved in the study looked at assessments carried out by teachers at the end of the first year which confirmed that children who were breast fed the longest time reached their highest level of achievement.

http://www.parentherald.com/articles/3423/20131223/babies-who-breast-fed-top-class.htm

The assumption is: all people are equal.

Thus when you see breastfed babies succeeding, the thought is: it must be the breast feeding.

A more realistic notion: parents who invest highly in children are more intelligent, thus spawn more intelligent offspring.

Re: Correlation is not causation
December 27, 2013, 03:07:09 PM
Intelligence is hardly a factor in the context of raising a child. Someone who scores very low on any number of intelligence tests may well be a great parent. In fact, (in the US) people of higher intelligence are less likely to produce offspring; if they do, they are more likely to produce fewer offspring than parents of average or low intelligence. This is not a counter to your claim, but it does suggest that most intelligent people are potentially unlikely to produce offspring at all (and this is actually a common case).

I understand that when you use the word intelligence, you may be referring to some level of ability not related to taking tests. In that case, a better word than intelligence could be used, perhaps?

December 27, 2013, 05:59:06 PM
That's funny. I think it went right past you, DL.
It would have done the same with me, had I been in intelligent-mode.
The quoted article was conceived from the assumption that we are all equal. and that being so, raised its interesting questions.
Squawk!

December 31, 2013, 07:38:39 AM
parents who invest highly in children are more intelligent, thus spawn more intelligent offspring.
I was thinking along the lines of only idiotic women won't breastfeed. Why wouldn't you breastfeed your kids, barring medical issues? Because they think breastfeeding is "gross"? I'm not a woman nor have I had kids so maybe I'm speaking from a place of ignorance but I don't get why a woman wouldn't breastfeed.

I think it went right past you, DL.
HEY I'm DL, dead last is dl. Note the caps :)

December 31, 2013, 08:19:04 AM
That was remiss of me. My apologies DL (and dl).
Squawk!

January 01, 2014, 04:02:41 AM
That's funny. I think it went right past you, DL.
It would have done the same with me, had I been in intelligent-mode.
The quoted article was conceived from the assumption that we are all equal. and that being so, raised its interesting questions.

Could be, could be. Usually nonsense does go right past me. I just tend to take "death metal black metal"s posts as the Red Letters of the internet, and assume he's being serious.