Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Synchronicity

Synchronicity
December 29, 2013, 05:41:47 AM
We have probably all experienced synchronicity at some point in our lives. You will hear a new word, and suddenly find it used much more commonly than you'd expect. That's the most common example I hear of.

Jung defined a synchronicity as a co-incidence that seems too unlikely or relevant to be random or unrelated.

The last stark synchronicity I ran into occured a little over a year ago. My grandpa (who I lived with since my grandma died) had become to sick to get out of bed. This was not normal, but I was not all that concerned. In the week before he went to the hospital where he was pronounced good-as-dead and sent home, I noticed a few buzzards (large carrion-eaters common to the midwest) in the giant sycamore tree outside my bedroom window. I had never seen one there before, let alone four.

As the days of that week passed, their numbers increased, and soon there were over twenty buzzards in that sycamore. When my grandpa went to the hospital, they left, and I never saw a buzzard in that tree again.

This might sound like too much of a stretch to consider this co-incidence as anything more than just that. However, that tree had some significance to me since very early childhood. There was one major limb of the tree, jutting far out over the back yard. This limb was dead (due to a lightning strike, according to my grandpa) and had been that way for more than twenty years. Because of this, I always had a strange feeling of danger when near that tree, because my grandpa had vigilantly warned my brothers and I to stay far away from that side of the yard, lest that branch break and kill someone (he was a disastrous thinker). The buzzards never rested ain another tree; just that huge sycamore with the dead branch, hanging over the yard like the guillotine of some senseless devil.

After my grandpa died, I knew why the buzzards had been there. I even knew the reason for their visit before he went to the hospital, but my rational mind would not admit to it.

---

Recently, I've been disturbed by similar thoughts. For the last three years (or more), I notice street lights blinking out when I pass under them. Sometimes they extinguish when my car goes beneath them, but often they shut off when I am approaching them, and occasionally after I have passed them. This happens on either side of the street. I have found that a couple specific lights are prone to blinking on and off at random, so I discount those. Yet, I can count on seeing at least one light go out every time I drive through town at night.

My rationality wants me to convince myself that I am just prone to noticing when a street light goes out. But, at the same time, I really doubt that this is the case.

---

What are some synchronicities that you've experienced? Did you ever unravel their mysteries before it was too late?

Re: Synchronicity
December 29, 2013, 06:42:06 AM
I stood on the brakes of my Volvo XC, one dark night, in an emergency stop, at the exact instant an unseen deer leaped out in front of me.
It was far too fast for reaction. Zero elapsed time. My wife was awestruck. Even I was stunned.
I am always incredibly fast to react, but as I said, this was in a whole other league.
If I somehow knew it was coming, I didn't know I knew.

December 29, 2013, 03:22:53 PM
That sounds like a step beyond synchronicity, a step toward super-sensory perception. I used to discount such things. It's difficult to wrap a rational mind around. But my mind is much more wrappable anymore.

December 29, 2013, 06:44:02 PM
There were some that I forget, but mainly what happens is thinking, on the day, or one, two or more days before, about some scene from some movie or other thing on tv, and then watch it on TV (on the before mentioned times).

Also, when I was a "pre-teen", I was mentally playing a song after a band played on a TV show here from my country, and another person watched with me before and was with me. Suddenly the person completed out loud the next sentence on the song lyrics right at the moment it was in my head mental play. Alas, I don't remember exactly if it was right on the instant, but if it wasn't, it was pretty close. I guess if you consider the billions of people that are together with another person while mentally repeating a song they just listened too, sync is bound to happen...

...or was there something more?

--

In my family, I have a cousin who experienced, in two different times, very bad vibes related to death, and on both occasions someone had died.

Also there was an interesting case when a person passed out on a robbery late at night, after being asfixiated, and a related person dreamt she was being suffocated and woke up disturbed by this in the morning.

December 29, 2013, 10:02:28 PM
Sometimes I feel that our movement through time is like a water strider. As the strider skips across a still surface, he generates waves, which spread out in circles. But, he moves in order to make the waves, so he doesn't stand in the center, where the waves spread from. He leaps ahead, and if he stays still for a moment, the waves from his last leap will catch up to him. If he rests for a moment, then leaps again, he will land in the midst of some of his own waves waves from his prior leap.

I think in that sense, we should be able to have an idea of future events that are about to take place, as the waves from our past flow by us, and into a time not yet reached. We will know what the waves are like when we leap there, of course, but  the waves we create now and the waves we've made in the past could give us glimpses into future events. The closer in the future, the more stark the precognition.

This would explain crow's evident super-sensory perception that allowed him to avoid hitting the deer. That deer gave no warning that could be detected sense-wise (sensually, sensically, sensibly?).

December 29, 2013, 11:17:49 PM
Someone will say a word like weet - tweet - twit - twitter !! then suddenly everyone is saying it. But not being in the loop, I just can't keep up with the other goldfish. Can they keep up with themselves?

December 29, 2013, 11:57:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about trying to keep up with those "in the loop". One defining feature of a loop is that it doesn't go anywhere!