Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Insecurity.

Insecurity.
January 05, 2014, 07:34:29 PM
Insecurity leads us to believe we are social creatures.
Insecure creatures lead us to believe we are supposed to be social.
Without insecurity, we have limited use for socialization.
The socialized need us to be social, so that they do not feel insecure.
Simply being social is not enough; we must then be social enough.
We are not insecure until society causes us to be.
Society, by its very nature, causes insecurity.
You can easily see the madness inherent in this.

Re: Insecurity.
January 05, 2014, 08:00:34 PM
You think that humans are not social creatures "by nature"? I wonder if maybe you are using the word "social" to describe the desire to be accepted by a peer group. I am social, since I have a group of acquaintances that I regularly do business with and perform various activities with. It seems to be a very natural inclination for me, and I do not feel insecure when around those people. Likewise, I do not feel insecure when alone, either. I do not have much desire to be accepted or held in high esteem by any particular group that has socially established itself, though. That seems to be poor use of time. A lot of people require much unproductive socialization to fulfill that need, though. I observe this so I don't disagree with your thesis. I just wish to clarify and expand it.

January 05, 2014, 08:07:28 PM
Insecurity leads us to believe we are social creatures.
Insecure creatures lead us to believe we are supposed to be social.
Without insecurity, we have limited use for socialization.
The socialized need us to be social, so that they do not feel insecure.
Simply being social is not enough; we must then be social enough.
We are not insecure until society causes us to be.
Society, by its very nature, causes insecurity.
You can easily see the madness inherent in this.

Why did you write this?

January 05, 2014, 08:36:00 PM
Why do I write anything? Somebody has to write something, sometimes, or what use is a forum?
I wrote that particular thing because I was considering socialization: its uses and dangers.
I write stuff.
I think I see your point, though, and so I would have to say that I am less and less inclined to write about, or speak about anything, any more. I do it mainly as a duty, now, as opposed to having any personal need to.

In this way, I suppose, I am like the Great Philosophers, without the tiresome Greatness bit.
An Unsung Hero, without the tiresome Hero bit.
An Egomaniac without the tiresome Ego bit.

See how much fun writing stuff can be?
I amuse myself, as the French say: Je m'amuse.
Dead Last is a good example of this.
A self-amuser.

When you get good at self-amusing, though, others eventually sit up and take notice.
Or not.

January 05, 2014, 08:46:41 PM
Just share your thoughts, crow, the appreciation will always outweigh the criticism.

Who needs a *point* anyway?  :)

January 05, 2014, 08:54:01 PM
Maybe there wasn't any criticism, although at first glance it may have seemed so.
This is a new (to me) trick I have lately begun to implement.
With such a low insecurity-quotient, such nuances of comprehension become possible.
Hence the thoughts I had about insecurity.

January 05, 2014, 08:55:38 PM
Find it in your heart to pity the uninitiated, who have not yet developed such a sense of nuance.

January 05, 2014, 08:56:59 PM
Fukkem.

January 05, 2014, 09:17:06 PM
But I desperately require the assurance that I am accepted as a peer by you!

January 05, 2014, 09:22:15 PM
Fukkyew.

January 05, 2014, 09:23:28 PM
I'm gonna go kill myself now.

(PS, just kidding, but I am going to have a cigar, so sort of kidding.)

January 05, 2014, 10:06:24 PM
What do we do when insecure?
Look in a mirror.

If we are solipsists, what do we think might be a mirror?
Other people. They are other aspects of "personality" we see in the world.

January 06, 2014, 05:54:59 AM
Why do I write anything? Somebody has to write something, sometimes, or what use is a forum?
I wrote that particular thing because I was considering socialization: its uses and dangers.
I write stuff.
I think I see your point, though, and so I would have to say that I am less and less inclined to write about, or speak about anything, any more. I do it mainly as a duty, now, as opposed to having any personal need to.

In this way, I suppose, I am like the Great Philosophers, without the tiresome Greatness bit.
An Unsung Hero, without the tiresome Hero bit.
An Egomaniac without the tiresome Ego bit.

See how much fun writing stuff can be?
I amuse myself, as the French say: Je m'amuse.
Dead Last is a good example of this.
A self-amuser.

When you get good at self-amusing, though, others eventually sit up and take notice.
Or not.

Certainly, society can cause problems. As aquarius was asking - what does it take for us to break past it? Why live here or anywhere, or try to stay alive at all?

January 06, 2014, 09:26:15 AM
Because, as long as you actively live, you have a chance at discovering what you haven't yet discovered.
That discovery could make it all completely different. Completely, obviously, worthwhile.
There's no chance of that, if you're passively dead.

January 06, 2014, 04:10:04 PM
it's easy to see social groups as being frivolous when you live within an industrial civilization or are subsidized by one. The high levels of autonomy granted by this condition obfuscates the value of social groups, matrimonial bonds even. There isn't a right answer as there are no laws governing human behavior. People will do what they will do.