Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun

Re: Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
January 12, 2014, 11:54:13 AM
Not sure if that Dawn album is holding up now. Some of it does seem way too repetitive. But I really enjoy the epic feeling of the last track. I think it's good for an occasional listen.

Don't miss out on the second Sacramentum album Coming of Chaos. This is another album that you can keep coming back to for years without it getting boring. It's a bit of a different style to the first album with more death metal and speed metal thrown in the mix but that was probably a good idea when you've already hit gold with your debut. Another A class album.

January 13, 2014, 10:29:26 PM
After Far Away From the Sun, Sacramentum went back to their roots.

I think this band is one of those bands that is so intensely and deeply embedded in its own vision that very few people can form in themselves the desire to want to understand it and figure it out.

This is why it remains a well-known secret: it's over the heads of most people, without trying to be complex, but simply by being honest.

January 14, 2014, 12:22:52 PM
I think this band is one of those bands that is so intensely and deeply embedded in its own vision that very few people can form in themselves the desire to want to understand it and figure it out.

...also its really loud and distorted.

It is only meant for a few people, at most 1/4th of humanity at any given time, in reality a lot less. The roadblocks of metal were deliberate and served their purpose well. Problems always occured from the outside-in.

January 28, 2014, 01:29:42 AM
Just listened to this again the other day and I don't know how or why I could compare it to In the Nightside Eclipse (perhaps the cover art?), it's probably more like a swedish parallel of Immortal if the truth be told. And it's a real shame the majority of black metal didn't take influence from this unique technical melodic style, as there really is a lot to be learned in it. The misinterpreted influence of ultra-minimalist albums like Transylvanian Hunger was probably the worst thing that happened to black metal.

February 07, 2014, 12:17:08 AM
This is a weird parallel but this record is a lot like the Blind Guardian album Imaginations From The Other Side, insofar as instant satisfaction moments are almost completely absent in favor of a deeper and more lasting experience*. Listen to any one minute strech on IFTOS and it will sound boring, but take in the whole album and you will realize that they remember what they played five minutes ago and also know what they will do five minutes ahead. You can say that the songs themselves are the riffs in the album song.

Most similar bands like Dissection failed because they didn't dare to have this patience in songwriting which is a shame because the style has a lot of promise.

* "But this is the case with all good music". Well yes, but an album like e.g. A Blaze In The Northern Sky is good because it's composed of brilliant riffs that also happen to fit together reasonably well; it feels more like a work of intuition which makes it different from the farsighted FAFTS.

November 20, 2015, 07:30:36 PM
I liked blackened deathmetal.

December 14, 2015, 04:01:19 AM
To really stick my neck out, I would even say that modern Krallice albums carry out this method of intertwining, serpentine riffs that spiral and augment or conflict within each other. I won't argue that Krallice does the style more tastefully... just an observation. But yes, the heavy-metalness is very evident in the sense of epic structure and obvious melody. A valuable synthesis of atmospheres and techniques, this.

Any more recommendations along these lines would be much appreciated. Hell, I'll even give you a cookie.
I'd definitely recommend Vinterland's Welcome to my Last Chapter.  Abigor's Nachthymnen is also great if you haven't listened to it already.  They both capture the freezing melancholy atmosphere of bands like Dissection and Sacramentum.

December 14, 2015, 06:29:01 PM
I'd definitely recommend Vinterland's Welcome to my Last Chapter.  Abigor's Nachthymnen is also great if you haven't listened to it already.  They both capture the freezing melancholy atmosphere of bands like Dissection and Sacramentum.

My initial impression of Welcome My Last Chapter was that Vinterland really abused the typical emotional / epic chord progression. That chord progression, combined with copious blast beats, gave the impression of something grand and climactic, urgent and epiphanic, but the music came across as one-dimensional and somewhat empty. Their emotion seemed to lack a point or a context.

I have not heard Nachthymnen, so I cannot comment on that album, but I would recommend the song "Universe of Black Divine" from the first Abigor album to fans of Far Away from the Sun. I think that that song is very well structured. I have heard the rest of Verwüstung but I don't remember much about it, other than thinking that some of the songs were disorganized and / or too emotive. I would like to listen to that album again.

Regarding Far Away from the Sun, I think very highly of tracks 1-3 and 5. I have found the other songs to be less inspiring and I usually get bored during the second half of the album; the other songs are good, but maybe not of the same caliber as the listed ones. My tentativeness in writing off the other songs suggests that all of them attain at least some level of quality, and that this album deserves more exploration, but I do think that the four aforementioned tracks as an EP might be more fulfilling than all nine as an album. Perhaps it is a question of organization: "Obsolete Tears" usually sounds flat and uneventful to me, but that might be because it follows the blistering and emotional "Cries from a Restless Soul." Furthermore, one of the aspects that I like about the first few songs is their fury and momentum, but the album seems to lose some steam after track 5. Some of the later songs sound tired at times.

One of the only albums that has captivated me in a way similar to Far Away from the Sun is Witchcraft, by Obtained Enslavement. The two albums have different spirits and styles, but they share a majestic character, a certain fury (not unlike a snowstorm), a sweeping melodiousness that does not degenerate into the stereotypical, and some songs that are as smooth as butter.

December 20, 2015, 06:42:30 PM
Far Away From the Sun was one of the few albums to maintain the atmosphere and spirit of black metal beyond the strict boundaries of the style.

December 24, 2015, 08:42:23 AM
Anyone familiar with their 1993 demo Sedes Imporium? I never hear any talk about this release.

December 31, 2015, 08:58:08 PM
Funny, I was just listening to their demo today. Sounds great! Has some obvious ATG influence.

January 01, 2016, 11:32:26 AM
Then I'll better check it out. Thanks!

January 02, 2016, 03:33:06 AM
Let me know what you think of it.

January 04, 2016, 12:53:50 PM
Now, I have only listened to it once, so it's a bit too early to give a fair grounded opinion. I can also hear the ATG inspiration and I'm quite sure some bits and pieces of the demo songs pop up on later releases. I read somewhere that Brolycke thought the demo was altogether bad and immature, etc. - I don't think it's that bad for a demo! Either the drummer has some serious trouble keeping the pace, or else he's into some sort of loose-playing style. It's kind of cool really. Must be the same drummer they had on Finis Malorum.

January 18, 2016, 10:58:13 AM

this album a really wicked rush when on 4-fa which reminds me i had better transfer it to my new mp3 player