Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Who are the pests?

Who are the pests?
January 06, 2014, 11:09:11 PM
Humans are creative critters. They have a well-developed ability for modifying destroying their environment, then expressing outrage at anything which might disrupt that.

Rodents? Pests!
Deer? Pests!
Felines? Pests!
Canines? Pests!

(Of course, any of the above can turn into Pets, if the human so desires - and as long as the animal behaves in a way which does not inconvenience the human. Then it's back to a Pest. {Pest/Pets - the words are so similar})

Of course, very few care to look at it from the animals' point of view: before humans, an earthly paradise of a self-contained ecosystem in which all had a role. The predators kept the herbivores in check, which allows plants the ability to provide a sustainable habitat for all.

Then along come humans, who bulldoze the ecosystem before erecting roads on which to drive mechanical monstrosities at speeds fast enough to kill any unsuspecting critter which may stroll across.

Humans destroy animals' access to food then wonder why they're trying to eat theirs.
Humans destroy all other predator populations then wonder why the prey is breeding uncontrollably.

I'm reminded of a leftist woman I had the displeasure of interacting with last year: in early winter, while flying over the speed-limit on a country road, she struck and killed a deer. Wonder what her reaction was?

"That DEER hit ME!"

Yes, it was the fault of the deer, not the domesticated primate traveling at reckless speeds.

The women she was telling this story to quickly asked pertinent questions:

"Were you ok"?
"How much did it cost?"
"Were you late to your class?"
"How is the car?"

Not one expressed any thought for the deer.

Why would they? It was just a pest.

If you want to save the environment, don't hunt the deer.

Hunt the humans.

Re: Who are the pests?
January 06, 2014, 11:53:31 PM
You don't understand how it is where I live, although you may where you live.
It is, of course, mostly the fault of humans, but that's just what humans do.
You can't change it. Neither can I.

There are so many deer where I live that the ecosystem can not support them.
Many starve each year, but not enough to balance their numbers.
Likewise, many get hit by stupid drivers. But still, not enough.
Deer don't generally eat trees, especially cedars. But here, they are so hungry that they eat these poisonous things, and die, along with the trees.
Bleeding hearts feed them, and that kills them too, because deer are truly weird, digestion-wise.
Every year I have lived here, on five acres, there has been at least one deer that has dropped dead within it.
Only the turkey-vultures like it.

It's a problem, for sure. And although humans are at the root of it, there isn't much to gain by saying they shouldn't be. There are too many deer even for the deer. And in that regard, they are just like us.

Anyway: I, personally, don't see any wild animals as 'pests', although they certainly can be, given even half a chance. My raccoons would take over the planet, if I didn't draw the line somewhere. Even the deer mice go hog-wild if you turn your back for a few days...

Just watch a pair of bats that don't have any worries. Next year there will be scores.
Nature loves a vacuum :)

January 07, 2014, 12:26:40 AM
Killing off some deer temporarily "fixes" the consequence, but doesn't correct the cause of the problem. Approved hunting is also an excuse for every shithead who doesn't give a fuck about nature to spray (lead) bullets in every direction before cooking up some venison "cuz it done taste good durr!"

It's the guilty executing the innocent in order to prevent the crime of the guilty harming the innocent further. That's not justice.

I'm a bleeding heart, at heart (hurr). I don't consume anything derived from animals to my knowledge (though these days it's hard to tell). It's nigh impossible to know this until faced with it, but I think I would choose to die of starvation before killing a (nonhuman) animal for food.

That's where I'm coming from.  :)

January 07, 2014, 01:02:21 AM

Just watch a pair of bats that don't have any worries. Next year there will be scores.
Nature loves a vacuum :)

Bats are fucking cool, just saiyan.

January 07, 2014, 02:07:38 AM
Why are all vegans perpetually angry?

January 07, 2014, 02:16:17 AM
That's an astute observation. Vegetarians too, only slightly less so.

January 07, 2014, 02:17:55 AM
The "obvious" answer is that it's something to do with their diet.

I say it's like, "I got a right to be hostile, man, my people being persecuted."

If I were crazier, I would say that a life full of depression in cows due to how they are brought up leads to toxic chemicals seeping into their meat, which when consumed cause the consumer to become more pliant, killing the fighting spirit.

January 07, 2014, 02:28:09 AM

The metal answer:

“Yes. I’m a racist: I hate all mankind and only regard animals to be worthy. You are worse. You believe humans are superior to animals, and you don’t even admit to being a racist. While at the same time you haven’t even thought the matter through. Mankind’s inability to act according to the laws of nature has been proven over and over again. And while preaching the importance of ”harvesting” animals and hailing the superiority of the human race as being on top of the food chain, pretending to be of a higher order, you at the same distance yourself from the primitive aspects of the animal kingdom. Guess what: You can’t have it both ways, ignorant fuck!”

January 07, 2014, 02:54:01 AM
I say it's like, "I got a right to be hostile, man, my people being persecuted."

This is a very good observation.

I add that many vegans could be construed as "angry" because they are aware that they cannot stop the tide of human degradation of their people. The only paths left available after one has had this realization is misanthropy or zen. And the zen ones aren't particularly vocal.

January 07, 2014, 03:17:47 AM
And the zen ones aren't particularly vocal.

HUH?

January 07, 2014, 03:19:49 AM
You're not vegan crow.  :P

January 07, 2014, 04:19:23 AM
Someone said cats were pests because they killed off so many song birds. We ended up with so many stray cats because of too many negligent people. People are the only pestilence.

January 07, 2014, 04:47:33 AM
Vegans are weird. They are like those crazy cultists who think that a human mind can be free from its moral contraints by commiting atrocious and cruel acts that they may evolve to a higher form of life. Only the vegans take the reverse approach. I'm cool with both of them, as different as they are from myself.

Personally I love devouring flesh. My body was created for it, and my body loves being fed. Turns out, I even like the taste of blood, and would eat extra rare meat all the time if it wasn't so easy to get sick from. One of the handful of carnal pleasures that I allow my flesh (along with the occasional cigar).

January 07, 2014, 04:58:17 AM

The metal answer:

“Yes. I’m a racist: I hate all mankind and only regard animals to be worthy. You are worse. You believe humans are superior to animals, and you don’t even admit to being a racist. While at the same time you haven’t even thought the matter through. Mankind’s inability to act according to the laws of nature has been proven over and over again. And while preaching the importance of ”harvesting” animals and hailing the superiority of the human race as being on top of the food chain, pretending to be of a higher order, you at the same distance yourself from the primitive aspects of the animal kingdom. Guess what: You can’t have it both ways, ignorant fuck!”

The thing about polemics is, they only work on the already converted. The tone sounds whiny and could use some balls.

January 07, 2014, 05:00:33 AM
I have 0 interest in convincing somebody who thinks animals need humans to "elevate" them of anything.