Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Anxiety makes you a victim

Anxiety makes you a victim
January 09, 2014, 03:25:38 PM
Recent work suggests that the ability to disengage attention from threatening information is impaired in anxiety. The present study compared the difficulty to disengage from angry, fearful and neutral faces in Low Trait Anxious individuals (LTA) versus High Trait Anxious individuals (HTA) at two stages of facial expression processing (i.e., initial and later face processing)...An impaired disengagement in HTA individuals was observed for fearful and angry faces (i.e., no reaction differences between 200 and 500 ms) but not for neutral faces.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005791613000815

Re: Anxiety makes you a victim
January 09, 2014, 08:33:51 PM
The oft-neglected art of not-giving-a-toss.
Works wonders.
Self-Defense without doing anything.
Squawk!

January 09, 2014, 09:37:16 PM
I've been very good at this since day one. I've totally overused during years and it has sometimes lost its meaning. Tried to balance it with taking action. Nowadays back with the "I-DON'T-GIVE-A-FUCK" mentality. Works wonders.

January 10, 2014, 12:30:13 AM
People can misinterpret expressions on the receiving side and misrepresent them on the sending side. The study must assume all facial expressions are correctly articulated and understood. That hasn't been my experience with people.

January 10, 2014, 01:01:48 AM
Totally correct. People have been insufficient getting messages delivered to eachother be it with words or without. Nowadays you'll have to add the irony factor too so there's really no hope at a senseful conversation between humans. Let's resort back to grunts and gestures.

January 10, 2014, 01:15:21 AM
I find there is increasingly less 'middle-grounded' people in the world or at least in my dealings with it and that can be very tiring. People are either blunt and burnt out or exhibit over-emotional and seemingly hard-wired reactions to whatever events unfold around them. On top of this there is so much cross-cultural and cross-generational interface in the big cities of the western world that almost no two people have common ground anymore and by extension lack common reactions to a given situation. A lot of the more sane, well-mannered people I meet seem to want to run away, but are probably too gracious to even realize why.

January 10, 2014, 01:16:16 AM
Onward upward. Telepathy for the humans, simian emoting for the Wellsian Morlocks who necessarily got left behind.