Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Most black metal is fake

Re: Most black metal is fake
January 25, 2014, 03:35:28 AM
It's about the orthodox/theistic satanism crap, especially the prayers on an album. The whole ritual/prayer thing is a stupid gimmick and their music is tech-death/mathcore twisted into black metal. I find the music aggressively boring.

I hear you. I can't disagree except in opinion. The music is very engaging to me.

Actually, I think DSO calling themselves black metal is a disservice to themselves. Then again, there are those people who think that black metal is just music about Satan, in which case DSO would be taking the genre to its logical extreme. But if we define black metal by technique and purpose, DSO is some mutation of metalcore.

Is it a logical extreme? Black metal has never really been about theistic Satanism, but Satanism was invoked as a concept that laymen could understand. It quickly became a casual stay of laymen in black metal, but it was essentially a conceptual gateway, an appeal to the layman's understanding of it, not an orthodox, theistic, or literal religion. The logical path was to abandon this as its meaning was distorted and lost. It's a farce, no more than an aesthetic or fashion statement. For fucks sake, the year before DSO decided to really pick up the "Orthodox Satanism" nonsense, Anthrax had an album cover of them with pentacles on their chests. Satanism was a farce that became an even more trivial gimmick and joke, and these clowns took the joke too seriously.

Satanism is mythology, not ideology. Imprecation's latest album invokes it properly.

Black metal has never been about Theistic Satanism, you are right. Satan was a handy catch-all symbol for a generally adversarial attitude. The trope of occult imagery and themes became a sort of self-referential, insider joke in metal as the years passed.

So it is extreme (though maybe not logically so, at first glance) to try and invert that attitude of "we know this is a joke, it's not scaring anyone any more, it's par for the course". Theistic Satanism is not a new thing by any means, and I think DSO applies the matters of Satanism to their lyrics for more than just shock value. Shock value is dead; Anal Cunt trumped everything; smart bands of today realize that the brootal slam bands are foolishly overextending themselves across ineffective tangents in a hopeless effort to maintain relevance, because they know that Carcass used cheap tactics to scare people a in the past and don't know where else to proceed from there.

Beyond that, the methods and meaning of Satanism that DSO outlines (explicitly or implicitly) in their lyrics and melodies do not suggest lack of knowledge or mere infatuation with symbolism that appears "dangerous" and "edgy". My guess is that the guys involved in the writing are aware of the history that precedes their ideas, and have a firm enough grasp on that history to effectively express the concepts (mythologically and ideologically) presented by traditional Satanism.

All that considered, I conclude that DSO's presentation of a literal Satan in the mythological and ideological (because Satanism is, in essence, both, as mythology and ideology are not so easy to separate) sense is not just a matter of shock value or general cluelessness. But, I see how that is an easy assumption to make if you have already made up your mind that Satanism always has been a joke and always will be.

Like DSO being identified as black metal, it is also too bad that this "Theistic Satanism" must be identified with Satan at all. The Horned One has a lot of baggage attached to his name.

Semantics! - would that you were not!

I have to say though, not looking forward to a future where you mount a one-man personal defense of every band this board loudly hates (kidding, kidding).

The future looks bleak.

January 25, 2014, 05:03:45 PM
I do hear that, what both Vigilance and trystero are saying.

I understand to the extent that I comprehend why you have arrived at that viewpoint. At the same time, my personal experience screams disagreement.

The only DSO album that I own and really get anything from is "Paracletus". The vocals, guitar melody, and drumming very much move me and put my mindstate in such a position that I see traditional values like friendship and happiness in a different (more diffused, less coherent) light. Therefore it is effective music, to that extent.

One song. Uh Malcontent or something. The beginning of that song almost had me then they pooped it up. They really love their "voivod" dissonant riff. I can see though, why you like Paracletus, of all their offerings. It's about the closest they got to writing engaging music IMO.

January 26, 2014, 12:05:00 AM
"Chaining the Katechon" is on par with "Paracletus". It's only 20 minutes long, and one entire track if I remember. I just dug it up recently, and will listen again tonight.

I just really dig the way they move their melodies back and forth across that fuzzy line, on one side structured and enjoyable melody, on the other dissonance bordering on atonal nonsense. That they don't stay too long on one side or the other (or just attempt to straddle the line like your typical "melodic death metal" or metalcore band) engages me, reminding me of my own moods, of natural cycles, of loving and hating and the basic binary manner that thoughts appear in. It keeps me on my toes, and makes me really appreciate the times where sensible minor scales emerge in between sections of suffocating obscurity, the ill-defined implications of rhythm and tonality.

Anyway. Fap fap fap. Stay tuned, I'm about to herald Wolves in the Throne Room's latest album as the greatest achievement in black metal since Ix Equilibrium.

January 26, 2014, 01:53:01 AM
Stay tuned, I'm about to herald Wolves in the Throne Room's latest album as the greatest achievement in black metal since Ix Equilibrium.

That... makes complete sense? Maybe you meant a different album? Ix Equilibrium is garbage.

January 26, 2014, 03:08:21 PM
Yes I know. Please don't think me incapable of humor just because I listen to poseur black metal.

January 27, 2014, 11:41:39 PM
not to be too harsh but there is something to be sad for training one's ear to immediately discern the frauds and pretenders from the artists.  ANUS has been invaluable in this pursuit as so much shitty metal relies on bluster and bombast to trick the listener into hearing substance wherein lies none.  I'd argue that a couple of years of training makes weeding out the hacks exceptionally simple, even for someone who was fairly weened on bullshit music. once you shrug off all of the window dressing and satanic twaddle, nonsense like Deathspell Omega shows its unconvincing hand in an instant, and after doing that and realizing you're listening to something for motivations that have nothing to do with a specific band or artist but the kitschy grab bag of "heavy" tricks they possess, you'll realize you should start listening to something else. 

January 28, 2014, 12:22:58 AM
I'm convinced people are hard wired for their type of listening. Educating isn't a pathway to manufacturing new converts like proselytizing from the pulpit with the promise of Jesus points in heaven.

However, with so much garbage to sift through, people can end up adrift with music that is naturally a terrible fit for them. Honest reviews can match the listener to their kind of music and keep them away from the bad matches.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

January 28, 2014, 01:39:17 AM
I'm convinced people are hard wired for their type of listening. Educating isn't a pathway to manufacturing new converts like proselytizing from the pulpit with the promise of Jesus points in heaven.

possibly but not really the point of education in this case.  the idea is trying to expose people to more sophisticated art forms than they've hitherto experienced.  for example, in my case, it was a pretty easy transition from horseshit like Cradle of Filth to Burzum because, based on my household and social group, there was zero possibility of exposure to the latter.  perhaps my brain is what you might term predisposed to a Varg Vikerenes but whether or not I'd have found Burzum eventually, ANUS helped rapidly accelerate my development as a metal listener.  I think we have to assume there are people who've made some poor listening choices for reasons that have nothing to do with their intellect and everything to do with environment.

January 28, 2014, 01:52:46 AM
Ha. I found the DLA after getting into Burzum (through Mayhem) then seeking out reviews of other bands that were mentioned in the same paragraph as the ones I already liked. Over time I've come to trust the writers and forum members here to the extent that I rarely look elsewhere for recommendations and I only have time to listen to about 2-3 albums per week anyway so for that reason quality is paramount.

January 28, 2014, 04:49:50 PM
Hoodwink makes good points. I do agree that by educating listeners, you can expect they will drift away from music that is bombastic and flashy and gravitate toward more originary and substantial music.

But this isn't the case between DSO and myself. To consider DSO's music garbage is a fine conclusion because the band is judged in context with the medium through which they express their ideas, and DSO generally deviates further from black metal than any black metal band should. I don't actually think of them as black metal. They play something more like Ulcerate, who sound like death metal to many people but are really just a rock band that plays warped and confrontational rock music. DSO is essentially the same thing.

As a guitar player and composer, their music intrigues me because of the generally unorthodox techniques employed to create the guitar melodies and choice of percussive shaping.rumming is notably creative in Paracletus).

As someone interested in occult mythology, their theistic interpretation of Satan as a manifestation of the adversarial attitude falls neatly in line with classical Satanic themes and impresses me. It is unique to hear an interpretation of those Satanic principles put to music. Are DSO is taking themselves "too" seriously? If Satan is not a serious topic that deserves contemplation and study, then yes.

In trying my hardest to avoid slipping into an argument propped up by solipsism, I'll leave the argument at this point; if you don't get it, then you don't get it. It may very well be a matter of hardwiring. I know what it's like to be tricked into liking music that is very stylish. Most of the music (save two or three death metal bands) I listened to before my 20s has never been heard again by me. I have found music that reflects concerns more immediately legitimate in relation to where I am and where I'm going with my life. Probably, this will change. In my 30s, I might not listen to anything metal or rock related at all; who can say? All I can do for now is try to absorb music that relates to my circumstances. DSO provides me with one aspect of relation.

February 01, 2014, 01:17:59 AM
Stay tuned, I'm about to herald Wolves in the Throne Room's latest album as the greatest achievement in black metal since Ix Equilibrium.

That... makes complete sense? Maybe you meant a different album? Ix Equilibrium is garbage.

Some of those orchestral synth intros on IX Equilibrium and Prometheus are fantastic. It's a real pity he didn't develop this into a solo project like most other post burn-out Norsk bands.

February 01, 2014, 04:53:09 AM
Some of the riffs are nice too, even on Prometheus, but the final product...

February 01, 2014, 08:39:41 AM

Both those albums are without focus, but am I the only one who thought Anthems was kind of decent? Sure it's not essential like previous works, and has some shitty moments where the whole thing descends into a blur of noise, but the last half of the album (especially "With Strength I Burn") is really quite good IMO.
-l-

February 01, 2014, 09:46:14 AM

Both those albums are without focus, but am I the only one who thought Anthems was kind of decent? Sure it's not essential like previous works, and has some shitty moments where the whole thing descends into a blur of noise, but the last half of the album (especially "With Strength I Burn") is really quite good IMO.

I used to listen to Anthems a lot, but I don't remember that I had heard it thoroughly without falling asleep.
中文地区的Hessian请加入我们:
幽谷:DMU中文版
www.innersociety.org

February 03, 2014, 05:11:28 AM

I used to listen to Anthems a lot, but I don't remember that I had heard it thoroughly without falling asleep.

Start the disc on track 5, that''s what I always do.
-l-