Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Grants Really are the Gayest Thing on Earth

Re: Grants Really are the Gayest Thing on Earth
January 23, 2014, 04:09:47 PM
A fair attempt, and probably right, but it is the broader decay that is responsible and the article hints at it. A slow process that takes generations apparently. We talk about the future of metal sometimes, how it looks bleak, but how salvageable is modern Western classical? After all, the bureaucratic reasoning stated in the article should inspire reaction, however meek and minority. It does not. No matter how hard you look you will come up empty.

This is why I think metal was the legitimate spiritual successor of western music.

Edit: To drive home the death, what is the attitude of current and recent-past creators in western classical towards their music? Do they consider themselves an established hegemony? No, they think they are revolutionaries against an oppressive classical past. An excerpt from a description of The Rest is Noise, a book about this crap, emphasis mine:

The Rest Is Noise takes the reader inside the labyrinth of modern sound. It tells of maverick personalities who have resisted the cult of the classical past, struggled against the indifference of a wide public, and defied the will of dictators. Whether they have charmed audiences with the purest beauty or battered them with the purest noise, composers have always been exuberantly of the present, defying the stereotype of classical music as a dying art.

Tells you the decay is total.

January 23, 2014, 05:24:20 PM
It is pretty crazy to call it revolting when they've long since won. That tells me the self image of risk taking revolutionary maverick is masturbatory delusion. They're more like conformists engaged in a safe repression campaign against murdered spirits of the past that keep trying to rise from the grave in order to materialize again.

January 23, 2014, 06:02:40 PM
It is pretty crazy to call it revolting when they've long since won.

Absolutely. That is how you know the victory has occured at all, when we are in `permanent revolution` (against?).

In fact one of the personalities quoted in the article in the first post said as much:

Quote from: Boulez
"Why compose works that have to be re-created every time they are performed? Because definitive, once-and-for-all developments seem no longer appropriate to musical thought as it is today, or to the actual state that we have reached in the evolution of musical technique, which is increasingly concerned with the investigation of a relative world, a permanent 'discovering' rather like the state of 'permanent revolution'."

Fuck Pierre Boulez, incidentally.

January 24, 2014, 12:56:32 AM
Tells you the decay is total.

Do you have a background in studying classical performance or composition?

January 24, 2014, 03:26:03 AM
No, what I said may be applied to any institution, large or small. When you get to the point where the top rung, the elites, w/e you call them, consider themselves in active conflict with their own institution and consider this a good thing, total death has occured. The rest is a question of time, how long will it take the corpse to start smelling? When will the odor become unbearable?

When is someone going to bury the damn thing?

January 24, 2014, 05:47:23 PM
I prefer patronage to grants.

January 30, 2014, 07:05:58 AM
I prefer patronage to grants.

The results speak for themselves, no?