Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Tell me this...

Tell me this...
January 27, 2014, 06:50:25 PM
If everyone is equal, what possible value does anybody have?
How can anything have any value, if it is equal to everything else?
What value does money have, if everybody has it?
Is there any value to knowledge, if not having any is equally valuable?
Do you know the answer?
If you do, what value is there in your answer, when all answers are equal?

Equality once sounded good. But in practice, applied to everything, it seems to have no value at all.

Re: Tell me this...
January 27, 2014, 07:21:32 PM
Proponents of equality argue that value is intrinsic to every individual. 

January 27, 2014, 07:27:48 PM
To me there are two definitions of equality, but one of them may be something else entirely.

Definition 1 - each member of a society contributes to said society. Each has a role to fulfill. Products and monetary objects are not throwaway, and serve a functional/practical purpose. Each member of said society is interested and invests in the health of their community and the society at large.

Definition 2 - basically the modern Western classification - "we are all equal, because." Irrespective of quality or quantity or usefulness.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

The key word in your post - "if".

IF equality (as modern Western society views it) exists, then the answer to your questions above are as follows: none, it can't, nothing, no, and no.

But thankfully, despite society's collective neurosis, equality does not exist. Therefore, knowledge has meaning, money only has what value people assign to it, not everyone is equal (some are more useful than others); but I still don't know 'the answer'......I doubt many do.

January 27, 2014, 08:29:04 PM
Let the experts have their say.

1. Before God, we are all equally wise, and equally foolish. -Albert Einstein
2. Equality is the soul of liberty; there is, in fact, no liberty without it. -Frances Wright
3. These men ask for just the same thing: fairness, and fairness only. This is, so far as in my power, they, and all others, shall have. -Abraham Lincoln
4. From the equality of rights springs identity of our highest interests; you cannot subvert your neighbor’s rights without striking a dangerous blow at your own. -Carl Shurz
5. Do not call for black power or green power. Call for brain power. -Barbara Jordan
6. Equality is not in regarding different things similarly, equality is in regarding different things differently. -Tom Robbins
7. Women’s rights is not only an abstraction, a cause; it is also a personal affair. It is not only about us; it is also about me and you. Just the two of us. -Toni Morrison
8. If we were to select the most intelligent, imaginative, energetic, and emotionally stable third of mankind, all races would be present. -Franz Boas
9. Equal pay isn’t just a women’s issue; when women get equal pay, their family incomes rise and the whole family benefits. -Mike Honda
10. The word ‘equality’ shows up too much in our founding documents for anyone to pretend it’s not the American way. -Martha Plimpton
11. Marriage equality is about more than just marriage. It’s about something greater. It’s about acceptance. -Charlize Theron
12. I never doubted that equal rights was the right direction. Most reforms, most problems are complicated. But to me there is nothing complicated about ordinary equality. -Alice Paul
13. Half a century ago, the amazing courage of Rosa Parks, the visionary leadership of Martin Luther King, and the inspirational actions of the civil rights movement led politicians to write equality into the law and make real the promise of America for all her citizens. -David Cameron
14. In science, all facts, no matter how trivial or banal, enjoy democratic equality. -Mary McCarthy
15. Equality implies individuality. -Trey Anastasio
16. Equality means nothing unless incorporated into the institutions. -Slobodan Milosevic
17. Until we get equality in education, we won’t have an equal society. -Sonia Sotomayor
18. Martin Luther King, Jr. didn’t carry just a piece of cloth to symbolize his belief in racial equality; he carried the American flag. – Adrian Cronauer
19. Candor is a compliment; it implies equality. It’s how true friends talk. -Peggy Noonan

http://hooplaha.com/2013/01/best-quotes-on-equality/

January 27, 2014, 08:50:42 PM
Which only goes to show:
In all those humdrum observations, there is no equality other than them all being indicative of the sheer stupidity of which humans are capable.

January 27, 2014, 09:10:12 PM
There is mostly a lot groundwork for illogical arguments in the quotes. Some are just dreamy eyed opinions that we can repeat to each other to feel good like gay stroking or back rubs.

The results of all this subhuman monkeythink gives us a society where our schools and jobs and streets are equal to the prisons except you don't get raped and stabbed quite as much.

Of course half a million American men are going to find a way to drop off the radar and exit society for the long haul.

January 30, 2014, 05:16:59 AM
I am fuckin' equally confused and pissed off by this thread.

February 01, 2014, 01:53:49 PM
there will never be equality
while there
Smart and stupid!!

February 01, 2014, 02:26:38 PM
there will never be equality
while there
Smart and stupid!!

I prefer the terms "cognitively privileged" and "cognitively challenged".

February 02, 2014, 01:40:03 AM
But what about the 'god's fool' and opposing 'too smart for their own good' types?

February 05, 2014, 08:51:08 PM
The equality of value in humans is a base value.  Ideally, it does not negate the hierarchy of deeds, or the selectivity of action.  It does not disregard class (in the economic sense) or caste (in the spiritual sense).  It does not relegate people to be a void, but is supposed to stand to safeguard against abuses of law and power unbecoming of those who should lead.  How far have we strayed from this lofty belief?

At least, this is the interpretation that has been conveyed to me through scholars and texts.