Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Drugs

Drugs
February 04, 2014, 04:53:35 PM
From Dale Pendell's Phamako/Poeia:

Re: Drugs
February 05, 2014, 02:49:18 AM
DREAMS AND CHAOS
LIQUID VITAMIN OF SATAN
YOUR MIND,
MY HOUSE
SEE YOU IN YOUR NIGHTMARES
DEATH DOOM WILL NEVER DIE!

February 05, 2014, 03:27:04 AM
Where does stuff like robo and PCP fit in? Somewhere between phantastica and inebriata?

February 05, 2014, 03:41:50 AM
Where does stuff like robo and PCP fit in? Somewhere between phantastica and inebriata?

I suspect Inebriata/Euphorica. Both PCP and DXM are classified as dissociative hallucinogens (NMDA receptor antagonists), as is Nitrous Oxide.

February 05, 2014, 07:17:58 AM

I suspect Inebriata/Euphorica. Both PCP and DXM are classified as dissociative hallucinogens (NMDA receptor antagonists), as is Nitrous Oxide.

What exactly does Nitrous Oxide do? I've never given it a try and my drug taking days are pretty much over.

February 05, 2014, 08:04:36 AM
Well, if you're a hot auto or aero engine, it makes you go really fast.
Then you blow up.

February 05, 2014, 06:31:16 PM
What exactly does Nitrous Oxide do? I've never given it a try and my drug taking days are pretty much over.

I have relatively limited experience with substances. Here's a reference:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nitrous/nitrous_info1.shtml

February 05, 2014, 09:32:58 PM
In drugs, I've found limited but definite utility. Occasionally I use drugs because they make me feel awesome. Alcohol is the drug of choice for this (mostly due to availability, legality, and it is easy to moderate your intake, although there are better drugs if these aren't concerns).

The most useful drugs I've found are the ones that make you uncomfortable with some aspect of yourself. I appreciate having my shortcomings exposed to me. Of course, you don't *need* drugs for this kind of thing. They are a good kick in the pants though, if you aren't inclined to spontaneous soul-searching.

Also, some drugs have inspired me to take an active interest in things that otherwise had been really boring to me (auto mechanics, racing, history, physics/maths, music theory). There is some utility in that.

Feel-good drugs:
1. Opioids and various pain killers
2. Amphetamines
3. Alcohol
4. Cannabis

Exploratory drugs:
1. LSD
2. Psilocybin
3. Cannabis

The rest are either a waste of time or an amusing experience that does not bear repeating.

February 06, 2014, 04:00:13 AM
That is an interesting schematic, Annihilation.

I avoid drugs for a number of reasons:
-I lack interest.
-Drug use requires an amount of nonchalant attitude, confidence, and psychological stability that I do not possess.
-My brain establishes addictions easily.
-I have a fairly low threshold for absorption of sensory information, so a drug experience might be overwhelming.
-I fear that if I experience an exciting or stimulating altered mental state, then my standard perception of reality will feel dull in comparison and I will seek further escape in a positive feedback cycle.
-The irresponsible and degenerate behavior and attitude of the masses have, through association, led me to develop a stigma against drugs (though threads on this site have provided the opposite effect).
-Some drug users seem very fractured and distant, as if their experiences were so tremendous that they left part of themselves behind.

I recently vacationed in the Pacific Northwest, and the trees were so green that I might use the word "drug" to describe the experience. The greenness flowed through me!

February 06, 2014, 10:13:52 PM
Why is Datura pointing towards excitantia? It's a dangerous deleriant, not a stimulant.

February 06, 2014, 11:15:36 PM
If drugs are define as

A chemical substance, such as a narcotic or hallucinogen, that affects the central nervous system, causing changes in behavior and often addiction.

Than food is a drug because
1. All thing in nature is based on some sort of chemical reaction, so is food
2. It affect the central nervous system beacuse without it, the system degrade itself and die
3. It cause changes in behavior because without it, ultimately no behavior is possible
4. And it's certainly often an addiction

So where normal food (if there's any) would fit on the diagram?

February 07, 2014, 02:38:54 AM
I think we can draw pretty clear distinctions between food and drugs for a couple of reasons.

The first is that the choice to consume or not consume drugs rarely leads to death. To choose to not consume food always leads to death.

The second is that there are so many types of food, and while they all affect your metabolism and body chemistry in subtle ways, you will stay alive so long as you keep eating *something*. Some people eat just fruits and vegetables, and they only turn gay, but otherwise they are fine. Some people like huge amounts of bread and meat, and they are usually fine too.

You can switch your diet around without a huge affect on your cognitive and motive capacities. The same can hardly be said for drugs.

Then you have mushrooms... which I could survive on, if I had enough, I suppose.

February 07, 2014, 03:12:49 AM
Why is Datura pointing towards excitantia? It's a dangerous deleriant, not a stimulant.

You're reading the image incorrectly. It's bridging Thanatopathia/Phantastica.

Probably the center.

February 07, 2014, 03:16:00 AM
In my ideal nation, the only drugs are meditation and tea.

February 07, 2014, 12:41:14 PM

Probably the center.

These are psychoactive substances i.e. taken for the effects on the mind and not consumed for nutritional purposes. What is commonly thought of as 'food' wouldn't even enter the equation. The only drug that really sits dead center in the middle is actually cannabis, it has the minor effects of a stimulant, depressant, hallucinogen, anxiolytic and weirdly enough is even suspected to have some anti-psychotic effects.

Though I like the mystique of Dale's Pendellgram, this chart explains things more accurately.

In my ideal nation, the only drugs are meditation and tea.

The solution is to turn New Orleans into a scumbag city where all behaviors are legal and then ship anyone found using drugs to there.

Same here really. But we live in messed up times and where there is a lowest common denominator form of coping, people will always find it. Likewise if they don't need it they won't seek it out. Same could be said for gun violence or any other big issue really; acopia enables the potential for abuse.

Also, drugs aren't drugs. But I'm sure you know this already. A once in a blue moon hallucinogen experience is clearly of a different value to alcohol or cannabis dependence? Or being a teetotaler that eats junk and doesn't exercise. And I'm not saying I do or don't support any of this because most people I meet out there are total screwballs irrespective of the various lifestyle traits. Plus all my favourite bands did drugs (but, well, they'd still be cool if they didn't).