Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Hate the player

Hate the player
February 05, 2014, 01:32:16 AM
Here's what people assert when they want to distance themselves from taking responsibility for their own bad behavior. It's also known as displacement.

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

1. Sorry I cheated. Too bad you got hurt though. But don't hate us players. It's just what everyone does these days.
2. I didn't mean to wreck everyone's life with my addiction. But there are dealers everywhere in town and it is so easy to score. Don't hate me hate the escapist-addiction culture.

When state sanctioned open season is proposed, the foregoing would be some of the wild game in the crosshairs.

Re: Hate the player
February 05, 2014, 03:16:03 PM
Many times have I tried to convince people of the general impotence of rules. Rules are established arbitrarily; because we WANT them to be established. Rules do not just happen to come about, necessarily.

Any substructure of overall human behaviour, where some things are allowed under the rules and other things are not, is a game. And you choose to play it, it does not force itself upon you.

The most difficult thing to get people to wrap their hands around is this: You need not acknowledge the rules. Not acknowledging the rules does not mean breaking the rules. In basketball, you must not walk while holding the ball; to be in motion, you must be dribbling the ball. When not playing basketball, no one is going to call you out or penalize you for walking around while carrying a ball. The same thing applies to all rules. You can step out from under them.

The Bible suggests that this is the state of innocence, where you do not discern between good and evil. It is not the same thing as acknowledging the presence of evil and avoiding it. It is embracing the whole.