Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Liberty

Liberty
February 06, 2014, 07:54:28 PM
1. Gluttonous self indulgence of lower animal impulses; blind tolerance toward all unless you police or administrate on the state payroll

2. Responsible, dutiful elbow room within cultural parameters afforded to all in lieu of cold bureaucratic state and public indifference

3. Both? Neither?

Pick the best one.

Also, a famous quote by a thoughtful identitarian and nationalist is worth considering:

Liberty, fraternity, or equality. You can only ever have two, but never all three.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

Re: Liberty
February 06, 2014, 09:16:27 PM
Wow, just wow... Maybe we could have all three if bigots like you died!

February 06, 2014, 10:09:43 PM
Oh great, more word games. Can we just all agree words like "freedom" and "liberty" have different implications depending on your intelligence? Liberty to a fuckwad might mean the ability to be a lazy video game playing dipshit free of any obligation to better himself, Liberty to an intelligent man means the freedom to become the best version of yourself and discover your own path to that end.

February 07, 2014, 02:40:24 AM
You can either be a puppet dancing on your strings, or a monkey dancing for a sandwich!

February 08, 2014, 02:42:35 AM
Wow, just wow... Maybe we could have all three if bigots like you died!

I trust you are being ironic?
That sentence bears a chilling resemblance to a comment made to me by a uber-tolerant possibly-female halfwit, in response to the statement:
"We're all equal, yeah?"
Of course, I said:
"No. We're not all equal."
Upon which I was advised that upon my death, and the death of every member of my generation, the world would be a far better place. So hurry up and die already!
Squawk!

February 08, 2014, 06:58:14 AM
The inverse works as well. Without all the Jonestown koolaid kids, we'd have a better shot at a more enduring and aspiring society; one that would be remembered across the ages perhaps.

I'm pretty sure in good humor trystero was poking fun at the predictable reaction certain kinds of people drones always make.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 08, 2014, 05:34:24 PM
Yeah these people always sound the same. Indignant posture, expression of hatred.

February 09, 2014, 12:04:44 AM
Add to that the mastery of passive-aggression.

I walk onto your land, meddle in your affairs, get in your face and so on and so forth.

But it was YOU that attacked me.

February 28, 2014, 04:45:23 PM
Liberty, fraternity, or equality. You can only ever have two, but never all three.

SAN FRANCISCO — An attorney is vowing to appeal a federal court ruling that a Northern California high school that asked students to remove American flag shirts on Cinco de Mayo acted reasonably to avoid igniting ethnic tensions.

The ruling stemmed from a 2010 incident that provoked angry commentary across the country and a lawsuit by students claiming their constitutional rights had been violated.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fight-over-schools-american-flag-tshirt-ban-likely-to-continue-20140228,0,1101185.story

It's the same story decade after decade and all for what?

February 28, 2014, 05:24:44 PM
False dichotomy.

Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites [...] in proportion as they are more disposed to listen to the counsels of the wise and good, in preference to the flattery of knaves. Society cannot exist, unless a controlling power upon will and appetite be placed somewhere; and the less of it there is within, the more there must be without. It is ordained in the eternal constitution of things, that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters

March 02, 2014, 04:22:35 PM
Fraternity thrown out:

But on gentrification Lee doesn’t have time for making sense or trying to, despite the nuance he so brilliantly displays in his films. His comments are instead a tantrum, and an ugly one. What’s really bothering Lee is that he doesn’t like seeing his old neighborhood full of white people.

Surely what bothers Lee is not that Fort Greene is now a cushy neighborhood. He just wishes it had gotten that way with all black faces. He’s yearning for the multi-class black communities that people of his generation regret the dissolutions of after the end of institutionalized segregation (when black people like my parents, for example, moved out to mixed or white neighborhoods).

http://ideas.time.com/2014/02/28/spike-lees-racism-isnt-cute-m-f-hipster-is-the-new-honkey/

March 02, 2014, 06:53:37 PM
True liberty is obtained when illusions have no power over you.
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” -Krishnamurti

''I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.''  -Hippolyte Taine