Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The problem I have with having opinions

Re: The problem I have with having opinions
February 09, 2014, 02:18:08 AM
It may sound stupid, but I don't value having opinions on anything because I often think that everything is trivial in the scheme of things.
Meh

February 09, 2014, 02:21:00 AM
But you don't think the scheme of things is trivial?

February 09, 2014, 02:21:40 AM
That may be true, AoD, but it is opinions, themselves, that are at the pinnacle of triviality.
Squawk!

February 09, 2014, 02:25:48 AM
But you don't think the scheme of things is trivial?

It is when pondering the broad scope. Everything appears miniscule. Then again, that can be taken as my opinion on this which is trivial.
Meh

February 09, 2014, 02:30:20 AM
The scale of triviality boggles the mind!

Where do your opinions come from? Crow may not be wrong when he says that opinions are the pinnacle of triviality, but I happen to know that opinions do not just appear of their own accord spontaneously. If your opinions appear trivial, then maybe your mind is processing trivial situations. Try putting yourself in a situation where the outcome is independent of your opinion. Maybe you will find out what I'm talking about. My preferred method of doing this is to drive my car at objectively unsafe speeds. My opinion is that "this will be fun!" but the reality quickly becomes "I am about to die". Opinion prompts, reality intercedes, method and experience take over, and that is the most important thing in the end.

February 09, 2014, 02:38:01 AM
Reality based situations transpose to cause and effect. Judgment of whether something is desirable or not (being reckless) is a form of opinion.

I was thinking more along the lines of when the sun supernovas and there will be no trace of our existence. Everything seems trivial then.
Meh

February 09, 2014, 02:40:04 AM
Though it's not true that there will be no trace of our existence. Everything is affected by everything. Regardless of supernovae, the end of the universe will be determined by what we do now.

February 09, 2014, 02:51:29 AM
It seems self-centered, but I often think that the end of "my" universe is when my brain flips the off switch. All of the knowledge that I've gathered won't matter to me then.

I suppose this is why some people tackle projects that are bigger than themselves, so their efforts last through the ages a bit longer than the average person.
Meh

February 09, 2014, 02:53:48 AM
Maybe your knowledge won't matter to *you*, but what about everyone and everything else? I think you're right in that second paragraph.

February 09, 2014, 03:57:26 AM
That reverts back to being trivial. At least my opinion.
Meh

February 09, 2014, 04:07:27 AM
Sol would need several times as much mass to supernova. Instead, it'll start fusing iron and bloat into a red giant to encompass the orbit of Mars. No spectacular end of the solar system is expected. Just depressing doom during a slow cook to black cinder.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 09, 2014, 06:00:20 AM
It's all in how you look at it. The parasites will expire first. That's a plus.
Squawk!