Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Narcissism

Narcissism
February 07, 2014, 04:11:10 PM
For one, unlike solipsism (which is an obsession with yourself), narcissism focuses on the perception of yourself, both by you and by other people. This means that external perception will matter to you more than your own internal authenticity, which could have a psychological downside.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/09/magazine/the-business-dinner-spy.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=2

Re: Narcissism
February 07, 2014, 07:11:51 PM
It's a sad state when almost everybody manifests - by default - solipsism and/or narcissism.
Both are traps from which escape is unlikely. Life is no longer lived in, but rather exists only in isolated imagination.
You get millions of people not-living. Zombies!
Squawk!

February 07, 2014, 07:16:32 PM
What advise would you suggest to someone who wants to escape the ''zombie-state''?
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” -Krishnamurti

''I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.''  -Hippolyte Taine

February 07, 2014, 07:59:12 PM
Reduction to nothingness, via meditation. I know of no other method.
Paradoxically, this reduction does not result in less. It merely removes the baggage, leaving the whole being, unencumbered.
Squawk!

February 08, 2014, 01:28:15 AM
Reduction to nothingness, via meditation. I know of no other method.
Paradoxically, this reduction does not result in less. It merely removes the baggage, leaving the whole being, unencumbered.

This is true and this is the way that I have escaped. Focus, meditation and leaving the baggage. Sounds easy but isn't as much so when you have lived your whole life depending on the ideas of your friends, media and teachers. But it is the only way out.

February 08, 2014, 02:27:53 AM
Welcome to Reality. The population is very sparse.
Squawk!

February 08, 2014, 09:47:02 PM
Humans have anthropomorphized the inexplicable since prehistoric times. I'd say this antediluvian precursor to our much later scientific method has morphed into the useless psychotic and psychopathic methods respectively outlined in the original post.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

February 14, 2014, 06:44:49 PM
Egocentrism?
From Brazil