Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Can metal be understood externally?

Re: Can metal be understood externally?
March 21, 2007, 03:43:12 AM

As far as I know, Nile577 and I are both grad students.  But I suspect his experience is much like my own: I had plenty of free time to investigate music because school required absolutely no effort on my part until the last semesters of undergraduate study.

Same with myself. I graduated last year, passed with marks well above average; same with high school. I can honestly say I did not really put much effort in. If you have a good memory and good comprehension skills this current education system requires little effort.

March 21, 2007, 07:32:13 AM
Interesting article, but I'm sure, like myself, you must have been put off by them labelling System of a Down, Slipknot and Finntroll as Death Metal. Kind of voids the whole thing, don't you think? Personally I've never come across an 'outsider' view of metal that I thought was accurate or intelligent.

An interesting analysis, but one external to metal, in that it does not study it as an art form but a "phenomenon" of type "entertainment."

You know, you said pretty much the same thing about Sam Dunn's documentary, and my interpretation of that work was that he was attempting to explain metal to an external audience.

March 21, 2007, 08:35:08 AM

Interesting that it uses fantasy as its vehicle.

It uses fantasy as the vehicle to project a new kind of reality, that is opposed to the illusion of modern life, where certain drives are suppressed.

And rap, it can be argued sparks more controversy than metal, because rap is closer to the mainstream and has a larger audience. Most people external to metal couldn't give a tos about it. They don't understand it or they don't care about it.
In a state of permanent Abyss

March 21, 2007, 02:50:16 PM
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2377708.ece

This makes perfect sense. The smartest people are going to see the things wrong in society and will be naturally attracted to metal. Although the bands mentioned are pretty mainstream and it can be seen that they are just following the fad, which is probably the case. Of course beign smart and having good grades are two different things altogether. But it does mention they performed the study at a school for the gifted which means the students attending there are probably truly smart.

Are they?

Real metal-heads are. At least they'll believe pretty much the same things their whole life. I don't see how it's possible that someone can change in that way.

Azazel

March 21, 2007, 03:14:56 PM
http://news-service.stanford.edu/pr/97/971023teenmusic.html

This is a more elaborate article about the same issue, maybe contains a few more points if anyone is interested in reading. The whole research paper is also out there somewhere on the web (I can't find the link right now) but I did see bands like Enslaved among the list of favourite bands of the fans surveyed.

March 21, 2007, 08:49:38 PM
Metal has harsher but healthy morals, rap is just entertainment.

Azazel

March 22, 2007, 07:16:53 PM

This makes perfect sense. The smartest people are going to see the things wrong in society and will be naturally attracted to metal.

The only thing this tells us is that there are intelligent people listening to any given genre of music, not just metal. You can't make a generalization given such a small sample (most of whom are obviously listening to it as a fad, as you correctly say).

March 26, 2007, 09:14:20 PM
The only thing this tells us is that there are intelligent people listening to any given genre of music, not just metal. You can't make a generalization given such a small sample (most of whom are obviously listening to it as a fad, as you correctly say).

Generalizations occur when you say "all people do X for Y reason."

It's not a generalization to say "This common thread unites most of this group."

Come on, wake up! You're hiding behind your fear.