Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Best use of Vinyl and CD formats

Best use of Vinyl and CD formats
February 11, 2014, 04:28:52 AM
Apart from the obvious improvement in the sound quality of an original vinyl pressing over its CD counterpart, I am thinking that certain types of music might actually suit the medium better depending on things like style, production, length of material (EP or album), and so on.

Personally Iíve tended to go for CD versions of classic metal albums. Especially the more chaotic or technical albums. Part of the reason is that I would rather listen to those albums in a different setting. i.e. walking in fields and woods with discman.

Symphonic music, ambient, ambient metal (such as Godflesh or Summoning) and some underground electronic music tends to be better for vinyl. It requires more stillness and concentration. I let the raw soundwaves fill the room until and the whole thing takes of off like time-machine.

Re: Best use of Vinyl and CD formats
February 11, 2014, 03:09:27 PM
I only own a handful of vinyl (Rachmoninoff, Dave Brubeck, Stravinsky, instrumental Sinatra tunes, a few others) but my turntable needs repaired before I can play any of them.

I play most everything on CDs because I have a reasonably decent-sounding stereo player, and if I need to, I can throw the CD in my desktop and listen through headphones (although my disc drive crapped out last month - my life is falling apart around me!).

I also own a lot of cassettes because my car CD player hasn't worked well since I got it, but being a 2003 model, has a tape deck. So I have a few miscellaneous rock and classical cassettes that I hear more than anything out of my CD collection since I drive so much (mostly Racer X - Street Lethal and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless). I love the sound of analog tape. My last two bands recorded our demos with a guy who does everything analog on a 4-track, sounded amazing. Always will have a soft spot for the cassettes.

February 11, 2014, 09:34:44 PM
I think for longer albums (such as El Mundo Frio or Creation of a Monolith) CDs are ideal. You'd probably have to switch between 2-3 separate vinyls to listen to all of the same album. CDs are great for just the sheer amount of music that can be put on.

EP's, singles, etc - these are vinyl's bread and butter.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 11, 2014, 10:45:51 PM
Vinyl is just too impractical for being on the move; so is CD really. Most of my music is on my iphone, even in the car I hook it in the AUX port. I know it's lame but it really does make sense when many of your CDs are rare, OOP, first presses, collectible etc.

I don't care if my smart phone gets stolen, I can just buy another exactly like it the next day. I would flip the fuck out if I lost my old copies of Immense Intense Suspense, Slaughtersun, Finis Malorum, Det Frysende Nordariket, Ames De Marbre, A Velvet Creation, Oneiricon, Folkoric Necro Metal, Nespithe, Blod Draum, Sorrow, Thousand Swords with the BW cover etc.
-l-

February 12, 2014, 12:20:51 AM
I also own a lot of cassettes because my car CD player hasn't worked well since I got it, but being a 2003 model, has a tape deck. So I have a few miscellaneous rock and classical cassettes that I hear more than anything out of my CD collection since I drive so much (mostly Racer X - Street Lethal and My Bloody Valentine - Loveless). I love the sound of analog tape. My last two bands recorded our demos with a guy who does everything analog on a 4-track, sounded amazing. Always will have a soft spot for the cassettes.

Forgot about cassettes actually. It's a pity they kind of died off as the raw analogue sound is great and they are superior to CDs in many other respects (price, compact, robust).

I would also agree that being in motion while listening is one of the best experiences brought to us by the modern age. For driving I prefer a long, peaceful trip into the countryside (something like King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King). Sometimes something short and brutally sweet on the way to work is the best part of having to go to work!

I think for longer albums (such as El Mundo Frio or Creation of a Monolith) CDs are ideal. You'd probably have to switch between 2-3 separate vinyls to listen to all of the same album. CDs are great for just the sheer amount of music that can be put on.

EP's, singles, etc - these are vinyl's bread and butter.

Agree. The only exception to this would be albums that are made in two parts i.e. SIDE WINTER and SIDE HATE. It would allow for an interesting addition to the typical metal album structure, plus I can also stop halfway to make everyone tea or coffee.

And thanks to all for the recommendations! I honestly hadn't heard of half of these prized collectibles.
Learn something new everyday.

February 12, 2014, 12:43:45 AM
Main problem with cassettes is when you stick them in a fifteen-year old player that you haven't tested in years and it CHEWS THEM TO COMPLETE SHIT.

Happened last winter with one of my band's demos, only existing copy. Yes, I'm still mad. At least CDs are easy to make copies of.

February 12, 2014, 07:20:54 PM
Main problem with cassettes is when you stick them in a fifteen-year old player that you haven't tested in years and it CHEWS THEM TO COMPLETE SHIT.

Happened last winter with one of my band's demos, only existing copy. Yes, I'm still mad. At least CDs are easy to make copies of.

Ouch, that blows. Back up your music so this doesn't happen, everyone! Yeah tapes can be finicky, you have to be careful about them getting warped or 'chewed up'.

As much as I dislike smart phones, one of the nice things about them is cloud data (if you have it available) - you can get most or all of your information back onto the phone from cloud storage. Its annoying when they break/are lost/get stolen (as mine recently was - broken), but after a few days I had a new one (for free, even) with all of my old information on it.

It's easier to replace than my copies of Nespithe, a rare 1985 Death rehearsal and The Devil and the Whore on vinyl, that's for sure! 
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 13, 2014, 01:12:23 AM
It's easier to replace than my copies of Nespithe, a rare 1985 Death rehearsal and The Devil and the Whore on vinyl, that's for sure!

Ironically, it was the decision on whether to purchase the new Nespithe remaster on vinyl or CD that got me thinking about all this to begin with.