Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

A good day

Re: A good day
February 21, 2014, 03:59:27 PM
Our winter weather this year has been wildly unpredictable this year.  We've seen temperatures below 0F for the first time in 30 years, and streams that haven't seen significant icing since the loggers came 125 years ago were plunged into the deep freeze.  On the other hand, the latest round of "polar vortex" brought us 18" of snow, followed immediately by temperatures in the 60s and 70s for several days in a row, resulting in a rapid and dramatic thaw.  Work, weather and maintenance work aimed at fixing all the little incidental problems that crop up when a property gets hit by repeated waves of rapid cooling and heating have mostly kept me cooped up indoors, a less than satisfactory state of affairs, as far as I'm concerned.

I finally made my escape the other day, and headed deep into the hills in search of peace and trout.  My initial destination was a lovely stream that plunges through a narrow gorge and can be reliably counted upon to provide decent fishing and superior solitude.  Unfortunately, after hiking in to streamside, it was quickly apparent that the rapid thaw and an overnight thunderstorm had left the river a raging torrent howling for the blood of any angler foolish enough to try and wade it.

After some deliberation, I decided to hop over to another flow in the same drainage in search of wadeable water/ This creek has a wider, less channelized stream bed, and the stretch I hoped to target is situated further up the ridge line (hopefully upstream of the main bore of melt water).  Here, I found a stream that, while still swollen and off-color, could be fished, so long as I was creative with my casting and willing to fish from some unusual places.

(I love to see things like this; faded regulatory signage is a reliable local indicator that a stream is rarely visited.)

Winter fishing is often a real hit or miss affair.  The trout species present in the area tend toward torpor once water temperatures dip below 42F, as their digestive process becomes significantly less efficient at that point.  The action was, not surprisingly, quite slow most of the day.  Eventually, I came across a new deadfall, its skeletal limbs reaching down into a deep, slow hole, perfect habitat for a boss brown trout.

(Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.)

That is some beautiful and familiar territory! I've been dealing with far-out winter weather this year as well. Where do you live?

February 23, 2014, 05:47:41 AM
Southern Appalachia

February 26, 2014, 06:41:47 PM
Any day here is a good one...

February 27, 2014, 02:56:27 AM
Any day here is a good one...

Does that then make your life a good one? Unfortunately, I donít have the pleasure of living in a pleasant environment, but I am bound to it by obligations to people (and they are worth it Ė I would sooner die here then let them down). Therefore my sense of 'good' or 'bad' day takes on a more psychological bent. Usually something along the lines of was I productive? Did I avert taking the bait? Or over a broader span of time, perhaps even months or years, have things been changing for the better? This kind of thinking might be insanity for some people but so far it seems to have worked for me. I never wear a watch.

February 27, 2014, 08:26:53 PM
This is my back yard, but not in my back yard, if the distinction makes sense.  Day to day, it's the city grind.  But no, life ain't bad. 

March 21, 2014, 02:15:14 AM
You have a good way of looking at things Dylar.

Lately I have spent a bit more time in my backyard (yes, my actual backyard garden) and it really is like a form of spiritual medicine. The 'means to ends' -type aspects to life quickly fall into place.

April 01, 2014, 10:22:44 PM
For me it,s a good day if i have the time to let insects crawl on me.

April 02, 2014, 03:43:18 AM
Tilling, digging, planting and watering in Dylar's region. Enjoying clouds of plump bees, flocks of nesting birds, large hoofed creatures and cats on the prowl for field mice. Awed by all the flowering and blooming unfolding at a glacial pace. Looking forward to lazy afternoons in forested mountain streams and falls minutes away. Typical good day far, far from the old suburban and urban purgatory.

April 15, 2014, 02:28:08 AM

Nothing beats getting out.

April 15, 2014, 04:30:54 AM
For sure. Nice salamander, too :)
How's the pollen count up there?
I'm choking on it here.

April 15, 2014, 04:44:30 AM
Pollen has been tolerable, so far.  It's only recently gotten warm, and we've had enough rain to beat it down so far.  I'm fairly tolerant of the stuff, anyway.  I'm among the roughly 20% of people who don't react when exposed to poison ivy, too.  The weather still hasn't settled down into a predictable pattern yet, and it has my trout acting a little wonky. 

April 15, 2014, 04:41:52 PM
Time for a haircut, young fella. You'll give deathmetalheads a bad name.
Which is sort of what my former Pentecostal friends would regularly say to me, in an effort to have me become as they were.
I'll bet none of them knew squat about fly fishing.

Fly fishing...
The fisherman prepares himself. He joins the river, and goes with it. The line goes with it. The fly goes with it.
The man does not catch the fish. The line does not catch the fish. Nor the fly. Nor the hook.
None of these catch anything. They merely wait. The fish catches itself.

April 15, 2014, 06:31:05 PM
Fly fishing is definitely what you make of it.  It's much like mountain climbing in the sense that there's a whole industry (gear and apparel, private "trophy water," "destination" fly fishing in exotic locales etc.) that's been built up around the twin principles of, A.) making hard things eas(y/ier) and B.) catering to the egos and feeding the insecurities of anglers.  It's a sport full of dilettantes and gear hipsters, most of whom really ought to be old enough to know better.  It's also a sport that will take you places you can get lost in, if you're of the right mindset.  Trout don't give a shit about whether you perform the self for them. 

April 15, 2014, 06:55:24 PM
Actually, nobody gives a shit about anybody else's performance.
They're usually too concerned with giving their own.
There's nothing like a beautiful trout for being just exactly what it is.

April 15, 2014, 08:59:23 PM
I don't think most pay attention to the details of the performances of others, but when you decline to perform at all, they notice.  It confuses and therefore angers them.