Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

A good day

A good day
February 11, 2014, 11:17:51 PM
What exactly constitutes your good day?

Productivity? Relaxation? A pleasant surprise?

A new-found sense of understanding? A sense of continuity from other good days?

And if your life was composed of enough of these good days, would it have been a good life? 

Re: A good day
February 12, 2014, 12:41:03 AM
A good day for me is when I get into bed wondering who the hell I was the day before.

February 12, 2014, 03:27:07 AM
It only takes one really good day to make a good life.
A good day is when you realize how badly you were getting life wrong, and then how to get it right.
It's all relative, though.
Having had a day like that, now a good day is any day I can survive.

February 12, 2014, 07:18:49 PM
I really like to do things in cycles. Like for weekdays, wednesday I usely workout, tuesday I read a lot and listen to music, saturday I often clean up my apartment and try to fix things or go buy something if I'm in need etc. etc. etc. It is really rewarding if you get the cycle working.

I try to do same with seasons also.

So I could say it a sense of continuity from other good days primarily. But also the feeling that you're living a meaningful and healthy life as boring as it sounds.

AND ALSO LISTENING TO SADISTIK AND BLASPHEMOUS BLACK METAL ON MY STEREO 666

February 12, 2014, 07:36:25 PM
So I could say it a sense of continuity from other good days primarily. But also the feeling that you're living a meaningful and healthy life as boring as it sounds.

Give me meaningful, healthy and 'boring' over hollow, shallow, inadvertently destructive and 'exciting' any day of the fucking week.

February 13, 2014, 12:58:35 AM
That sounds good. There's something very appealing about the simple life, but once again, trying to achieve that within the chaos of this modern world isn't easy. Every day is minefield of emotional or behavioural triggers.

It might sound strange but the things I've struggled with most are also the things which pushed me towards self improvement; mostly lack of motivation, lack of continuity. Because I don't like these things I consciously avoid behaviours and ways-of-thinking that I know might lead to them.

February 15, 2014, 03:40:57 PM
A good day for me is a day where I did better than the day before, in any respect at all. Ran farther, lifted more, climbed higher, or wrote something I was proud of.

What makes a great day is coming into a situation I've encountered before, and handling it much more efficiently than the last time. Learning from past mistakes and not repeating them brings a great feeling of success.

February 15, 2014, 04:08:37 PM
I enjoyed reading that. Reminded me of a sine-wave, with you heading up the curve towards the top.
Maybe all life is a series of waves, rising and falling in amplitude, forever.

February 15, 2014, 09:27:10 PM
Today was a good day; I got my motorcycle permit.

Some words of wisdom; "The anticipation of having something is always better than actually having the thing."

Psh!

Excitement, anticipation, the promise of more excitement, the very *limit* of excitement, something that your imagination can't even grasp... that's a good day, for me. Sometimes I wonder if I'm a junkie for excitement. I don't even care if I am (so, I probably am).

February 16, 2014, 05:41:51 PM
It might sound strange but the things I've struggled with most are also the things which pushed me towards self improvement; mostly lack of motivation, lack of continuity. Because I don't like these things I consciously avoid behaviours and ways-of-thinking that I know might lead to them.

This is a remarkable detail, similar to my own outlook on day-to-day living. With a broad perspective, it can be hard to maintain motivation for most things in "life". It was related to me that what breathes significance into existence are those rules or superficialities which can seem intellectually absurd, or weak-minded. The difficulty is persisting to live while continuing to acknowledge the ubiquity and depth of meaninglessness.

February 16, 2014, 06:06:46 PM
I dont have good or bad days, Days are days, they pass. I have never considered it. Nothing can ruin my day and nothing can make it. Events I take in themselves. This is bad, that is good etc. but it doesnt affect anything else.

You dont make a good life by stitching together little bits of good time, but out of deeper meaning and purpose.

February 18, 2014, 04:40:56 AM
Today was a good day, as it happens, on deathmetal.org.
Thanks to all who commented in various threads, and made it happen.

February 18, 2014, 08:18:41 PM
Our winter weather this year has been wildly unpredictable this year.  We've seen temperatures below 0F for the first time in 30 years, and streams that haven't seen significant icing since the loggers came 125 years ago were plunged into the deep freeze.  On the other hand, the latest round of "polar vortex" brought us 18" of snow, followed immediately by temperatures in the 60s and 70s for several days in a row, resulting in a rapid and dramatic thaw.  Work, weather and maintenance work aimed at fixing all the little incidental problems that crop up when a property gets hit by repeated waves of rapid cooling and heating have mostly kept me cooped up indoors, a less than satisfactory state of affairs, as far as I'm concerned.

I finally made my escape the other day, and headed deep into the hills in search of peace and trout.  My initial destination was a lovely stream that plunges through a narrow gorge and can be reliably counted upon to provide decent fishing and superior solitude.  Unfortunately, after hiking in to streamside, it was quickly apparent that the rapid thaw and an overnight thunderstorm had left the river a raging torrent howling for the blood of any angler foolish enough to try and wade it.

After some deliberation, I decided to hop over to another flow in the same drainage in search of wadeable water/ This creek has a wider, less channelized stream bed, and the stretch I hoped to target is situated further up the ridge line (hopefully upstream of the main bore of melt water).  Here, I found a stream that, while still swollen and off-color, could be fished, so long as I was creative with my casting and willing to fish from some unusual places.

(I love to see things like this; faded regulatory signage is a reliable local indicator that a stream is rarely visited.)

Winter fishing is often a real hit or miss affair.  The trout species present in the area tend toward torpor once water temperatures dip below 42F, as their digestive process becomes significantly less efficient at that point.  The action was, not surprisingly, quite slow most of the day.  Eventually, I came across a new deadfall, its skeletal limbs reaching down into a deep, slow hole, perfect habitat for a boss brown trout.

(Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.)

February 18, 2014, 08:22:59 PM
Oh yeah  ;)

February 20, 2014, 12:46:57 AM
The difficulty is persisting to live while continuing to acknowledge the ubiquity and depth of meaninglessness.

I actually feel good when I don't have to question things too deeply. When I know *deep down* whether or not I'm on the right path and everything falls into place. Thought itself has been like a maze. Even when I can see what needs to be done I can't do it by thinking about it. I guess this is pretty close to having a religious rather than philosophical mind which is weird because I've never been a 'believer' in that sense.