Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Sanity.

Re: Sanity.
February 24, 2014, 09:53:16 PM
There are mental models and then there are the things they describe. It is a mistaken too often made in literate civilizations, to mistake the model for the thing it describes. It is even more of a mistake, when they attempt to correct the error by asserting nihilism by suggesting we should abandon all mental models. Collective thought and action goes right out the door and the civilization collapses.

We need to be reminded that "cave" is not the thing it describes. We don't need to throw "cave" out because it is not the thing in itself.

February 25, 2014, 01:47:08 AM
TBH I've seriously begun to wonder about the assumed value 'civilization' actually has.
Personally, I could take it or leave it, even when it was still a going concern.
It doesn't have a particularly good track record, once you start to investigate.
Shortly after achieving its goal, which is really only safety and comfort, it starts eating itself from within.

February 25, 2014, 03:25:06 AM
I think civilization is great and, to paraphrase an Indian nationalist, the West should try it.

What we have instead is over-socialization, meaning people for whom individualism and its social counterpart Crowdism have become more important than reality or truth.

This happens when too many useless people hang about, their lives having been made comfortable by the work of others.

February 26, 2014, 09:36:06 PM
...if you use enough drugs, yes, it can appear to you as if you can do that.
But reality isn't something humans can bend. The human bends itself, and calls that reality.

What is the entire project of civilization, if not the bending and shaping of reality to human Will?  Certainly, it takes a person of a truly extraordinary ability, vision and personal strength to accomplish, but it can be accomplished.  The heroic path is just very lonely, and littered with the bleached bones of the unworthy.

This is an interesting point. The heroes being who: Alexander...?

February 26, 2014, 09:39:42 PM
Monsanto